Introduction and looking for new IEMs
Dec 14, 2018 at 10:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

matteodavidking

New Head-Fier
Music a passion of mine though I don't play any instruments. I did, however, run live sound for my church and in college for events across as spanse of roughly 12 years, and right now I'm working my way in to get back behind at the board at my current church.

My last pair of headphones I loved were the UE 900s. I had these for two years and really enjoyed them. Prior to those I had the Sony XBA-H2. Last weekend I washed my clothes, including my UE900s, and one of the earpieces was completely torn apart, so now I'm in the market for a new set of headphones.

Yesterday I got a pair of Shure SE 535 Reds: I absolutely hated them. The mids were far too close for my comfort.

These headphones would be used primarily at work (I'm a graphic designer) for all day listening. I run all my sound through a very old but trusty FiiO Kunlun e18. Right now I'm utilizing my XBA-H2s, but they're not super comfortable for all day listening and lack the clarity (imo) of the 900s's. They also have a short of some sort and my ear gets gently zapped every once in awhile, and the housing isn't in the best shape. I've had them for 5 or so years.

My general rule of thumb is that every time I break a pair of headphones, pay more for the next ones and take better care of them. The 900s were my longest lasting pair.

My primary listening artists are a completely random mix of EDM (from Brood remixes to 'turntable mix' as I call it like Saib, Parov Stelar; depends on the day), as well as my diehard passion for Olafur Arnalds (modern classical), alot of christian worship sets (primarily Hillsong Worship & United), and a litany of other genres like Billie Eilish, Son Lux, EXES, Phoria, Jome, BASECAMP, etc.

I'm trying to keep my budget under $500.

Considerations:
  • Westone W40
  • Westone W60 (if I can find a sweet deal)
  • Westone UM Pro 30
  • iBasso IT04
  • FiiO FH5
  • Noble Trident
  • NuForce HEM8
  • Audeze iSINE 20
  • Another pair of the 900s
  • Open to suggestions, but I've liked the results of BA drivers the most
  • I don't think I'm ready to commit to CIEMs
A big challenge is the inability to demo any of these. I also prefer to use PayPal so I can finance them a little.

Depending on the price of the headphones, I may invest in a new DAC. The FiiO Q5 looks nice but it's pretty expensive.

I'm looking for clarity but lean more on a V curve. I love my bass and sub bass, not super picky about mids and like bright but controlled treble. I would consider myself a moderate basshead.

Thanks all!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back