Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Jul 1, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #331 of 403
Yup, that's my number you mentioned. I actually got them few days ago and they sound amazing with the ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin pads and the balanced wiring. Other pads that I have are not that good, I think that's the best option so far. They are really comfy, big and solidly machined, no complaints whatsoever! The 2 years waiting was worth it for me.

Jul 2, 2020 at 4:47 AM Post #332 of 403
Yup, that's my number you mentioned. I actually got them few days ago and they sound amazing with the ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin pads and the balanced wiring. Other pads that I have are not that good, I think that's the best option so far. They are really comfy, big and solidly machined, no complaints whatsoever! The 2 years waiting was worth it for me.

I really hated their stock sound. Do the pads merely make it decent, or do you think they now are class leading? What other headphones can you compare them against?

Jul 4, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #333 of 403
Yes, the pads make them sound great! Either ZMF or Dekoni fenestrated pads would work (there's a pads discussion in hifiguides you can also check), but the stock pads sound closer, less detailed. I think they are absolutely worth their price. I don't have much other headphones, just my Shure SRH840 for monitoring, I ain't that hardcore audiophile yet. But I have some good IEMs like Tin P1, Shuoer Tape. I guess I can only compare detail and signature between them, since they're not quite the same thing? All those I mentioned have similar great detail retrieval and separation, but the Erupts are more natural and "alive" (they have more dynamics and more details/separation than the rest, sounds have more "body" overall). Of everything I possess, Erupts sound the best. The soundstage helps for the experience of course, but everything in Erupts is just better. Of course, talking about signature... 840s and P1 are on the flat side, Tapes are very V-shape and the Erupts are somewhere in the middle. That's another reason I enjoy them the most, since Tapes' lows could be overbearing sometimes, and the P1 is sometimes harsh, but the Erupts.... I even have no problem sleeping while listening with them at all, they are so chillin'. I will have HarmonicDyne Helios soon and Drop Pandas at the end of the year, so I could make more updates later.

Jul 26, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #334 of 403
Wondering if any folks have some more impressions and/or reviews since most were 2019/early 2020 and we’re now in the second half of the year. Really interested in hearing how people are using the headphones for different activities (e.g. music, gaming, movies) and their thoughts on how the Erupts perform in different use case scenarios. I recently purchased a secondhand pair, and while I absolutely love the feel and build quality, I haven’t been blown away. I’ve used the Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R recently, and I’m torn on which pair I’d keep if I had to choose one, and the reasons why for each. I should note that I have also switched the pads to the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin. They help, but maybe my analytical hearing still isn‘t formed enough to understand or catch the difference (if you have advice for making the Dekoni pads hold tighter so they don’t rotate so freely, let me know). Most of my time is spent console gaming, so I use the cable with the mic quite a bit. The mic itself is really solid, but I hate its suspension—it’s overextended IMO and wobbly. It’s very hard to get in a position where it doesn’t catch my exhales. I don’t have this problem with the V-Moda BoomPro. I did experience the imbalance on the non-mic cable, but the person I bought from included custom Hart cables and they sound great. (I’m interested in selling them—black and white custom—so I can repurchase some that match my cable/color scheme, so PM me if interested). Overall, I enjoy the Erupts, but I still feel like I’m missing the “wow” factor a bit and really would like to find it. I’m fairly new to the headphone audiophile game, so I know my ears aren’t trained enough yet. I’ve tested the Erupts alongside DT 880 Chrome Edition (250 ohm), HiFiMan HE-4XX, TYGR 300R, and will be testing alongside Sennheiser HD6XX soon. Honestly, I’d really like to settle on two solid pairs—one for gaming and one for all-around enjoyment/music. I expect the 6XXs to fit the latter, so right now it’s the Erupts vs. the TYGRs (with detachable cable mod) for my go-to gaming set. If it matters, I’m using a Schiit Heresy as my amp and Sound Blaster G6 (in direct mode) as my dac. Would love some advice/thought.

Jul 26, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #335 of 403
Overall, I enjoy the Erupts, but I still feel like I’m missing the “wow” factor a bit
Don't expect to find "wow" in this price range for headphones. But for IEMs? Absolutely. The soundstage should wow you, though.

I tried 4 pads with my Erupt, and I think the Dekoni Hybrid Elite is the best one(god, I hate their scratchy fenestrated material...). Big difference from the other 2 stock pads and Elite Sheepskin. Using the balanced Hart cables, into single-ended amp. Without EQ, I find them still a bit boomy, and veiled/muted. So I scooped the bass down a good bit, and raised ~12K a touch. I don't think they are bad without EQ, but I feel there's some tuning imbalance. The extra clarity is pretty important in games, so with my EQ I'm only picky about them outside the game(which is not my intended use for them).

I’d like to settle on two solid pairs—one for gaming and one for all-around enjoyment/music.
That's the way I play it, as a gamer & general audio enthusiast. Erupt is tricky, since it takes some pricey, extra accessories and EQ tweaking to nail down - but once you get there, I think it's got some killer performance for the price. If you want a headphone that's ready to go out of the box, I'd get HD660 instead of this. For something that does everything amazingly, if you're into IEMs, ThieAudio Legacy 3 is phenomenal(at only $119). I would definitely say the L3 sounds better than Erupt and HD660, for general audio performance and for soundstage shape & realism/naturalness(perhaps not size/width, though maybe). All 3 of these are exceptional for the price, though L3 takes the cake IMO.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #337 of 403
@CT007 You've tried the fenestrated sheepskin pads and the hybrid elite pads sound better?
Only elite sheepskin & elite hybrid, because I hate their fenestrated material(I tried with my AD700x/900x). I doubt there's much sound difference between hybrid and fenestrated, though. Actually, I have Brainwavz XL micro suede pads I didn't try on it yet.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #338 of 403
@CT007 You should try my choice, ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin pads. People say that comparing to the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin those ZMF ones have a bit more mid-bass, but I actually found that pleasing - I'm not after a flat response, but rather fun listening experience. And even with classical music I don't hear any bassy instruments taking over or something, it sounds pretty fine. In my opinion, my ZMF pads are very smooth and buttery-soft to the touch and won't be scratching or irritating, but I don't have any Dekoni pads to compare though. I also believe that the boomy/veiled part will be fixed because of the perforation/holes of the ZMF or Dekoni fenestrated pads. So far I absolutely enjoy them without EQ.

Jul 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #339 of 403
ZMF Ori Perforated Lambskin
Yeah, those look much better/softer than Dekoni. Preference on oval vs circle =p Erupt seems very sensitive to both pad material and pad depth(due to angled drivers, I would mainly assume), and it seems the thickness of the Dekoni pads is ideal. Can't say if wider pads would improve or worsen acoustics. Or if an angled pad would improve or worsen. They don't seem designed for angled pads, though.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #340 of 403
I have a nearly new pair of Dekoni Elite fenestrated sheepskin pads. If anyone has the fenestrated ZMF Ori pads and is interested in trading, feel free to PM me. I like the Dekonis, but now I'm interested in hearing the ZMF Oris.

Update 7/30/20: Found some through r/AVExchange.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #341 of 403
Got the ZMF Ori pads in today. So far, I'm really liking them. I don't think my hearing is fine-tuned enough to hear some of the minute differences between these and the Denkoni fenestrated pads, but my early impressions are that the Ori pads are more comfortable and I appreciate that they hold on to the cup and don't loosely spin like the Dekonis did. Really hoping to hear/see/read more reviews and impressions since Vokyl finally got such a large shipment out. I know a lot of folks are angry about the bait-and-switch decisions Vokyl made, but I understand them as a sometimes necessary evil for getting pledges out to backers. I'm *really* hoping that Vokyl decides to address the cables though when they catch up. I loved the original idea of the detachable mic and a single cable. I would *love* to be able to use my Hart audio cable with the Vokyl mic.

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #342 of 403
Yeah, and also with the balanced wiring, I struggled finding nice cables, but so far I found only some "meh" cables with THINNER connectors, so that it can connect to the cups' holes tightly. Otherwise standard 2.5mm connectors are thicker and won't be plugged in all the way in the holes, so slight head movements will interrupt one of the cups and you gotta push it back in, annoying exercise. So far I've found those cables to fit well, because of the thinner 2.5mm connectors (I'm probably re-posting some of the links, no idea):

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B075FSM5KZ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A15SRT6WY6AN6K&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06WLKPWJG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07MC5Z8XQ/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_2?smid=AVZ39LGZSW4FB&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0772P76B7/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=A22XV1R46R2SNQ&psc=1 (way overpriced)

https://www.amazon.com/MiCity-Repla...one+cable+for+hifiman&qid=1596579081&sr=8-126

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #343 of 403
Got mine in last week. I had the wiring changed since I would never need the mic and was able to just get standard TRS 2.5mm cables to work. I enjoyed the sound quality but didn't realize that they were not going to be completely open sounding and it is a big enough issue for me that I'm going to end up selling them...A big bummer since I've been waiting so long to get them but I guess I should have thought a big more about the semi-open design before ordering.

Aug 19, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #344 of 403
didn't realize that they were not going to be completely open sounding
What's the issue? Do you feel claustrophobic, without totally open-backs?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2020 at 5:00 PM Post #345 of 403
Got mine in last week. I had the wiring changed since I would never need the mic and was able to just get standard TRS 2.5mm cables to work. I enjoyed the sound quality but didn't realize that they were not going to be completely open sounding and it is a big enough issue for me that I'm going to end up selling them...A big bummer since I've been waiting so long to get them but I guess I should have thought a big more about the semi-open design before ordering.
Hmmm... I have been using mine as my daily driver fo conference calls (which means at least 8 hours per day). They are pretty open... at least I can hear things around me. Maybe not the most open back (my Elex are quite open) but they are definitely not closed in my opinion...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back