Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Oct 1, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #106 of 403
With angled drivers, I'm a little worried about being able to hear/pinpoint sounds in the 180 degree arc behind you. What is the approximate horizontal range/arc these headphones have?
Understandable. The way it works though is the sound has to end up in the same place, with the angled drivers they just get to the ear more direct with less bounce off the back. High frequency sounds give us the most direction (since they're most directional). The lower frequency stuff affecting the back of our ear (which we would only feel there) we don't perceive directionally as much. It can be tricky to explain, but it's why properly set up 3 way studio monitors have the tweeter / mid driver in and the bass drivers farther out when seated on the mixing console or desk. Many do the reverse thinking it will widen the sound, when it doesn't, and the bass driver being closer actually messes with the clarity vs. the proper setup. In every test, directionality wise, at least with panning and perceived depth (reverb tails, etc.) I prefer angled drivers. The MDR-Z7 being a great example in terms of the 3D soundstage.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #107 of 403
The way it works though is the sound has to end up in the same place, with the angled drivers they just get to the ear more direct with less bounce off the back.
In my recent game audio testing with 7 headphones, I could clearly hear behind my ear about 20 degrees horizontally with Sundara(flat drivers), but with my AD700X(angled, rearward) I was only able to hear about up to 10 degrees in front of my ear line. So I have about 160 degrees of frontal audio with AD700X, and about 220 degrees with Sundara, it seemed like, although the forward soundstage of the angled drivers would/should have more depth to it.

Flat drivers seem to provide better positional accuracy.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #108 of 403
Flat drivers seem to provide better positional accuracy.
Based on what you're saying I believe it. I have limited use of headphones with surround style gaming audio as you describe. I usually think left to right position and front to back, where the goal is to make it sound as if you're in front of a band, where angled works. That seems interesting. While their angled drivers may reduce the rear surround gaming effect, that could improve these for music use. The way they had chosen to innovate is to make a pair that can stand up to non-gaming headphones, so I guess there are some trade-offs.

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #109 of 403
It would be nice to know the exact driver angle(s) being used for the Erupt. But I'm not even sure I can find that information for AD700X to compare :5

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #110 of 403
One of the key differentiations for Vokyl audio is our dedication to not only american machining and manufacturing, but doing it all under our own roof. We mentioned some other parts of our design and prototyping process in a previous post,but left out the real nitty gritty of the machining aspects to save for this week. We’ll be addressing our initial design work using SolidWorks and HSMWorks software, fixture design, sourcing materials, the actual machining process, blasting, anodizing, and engraving… so a lot!

Solidworks
Solidworks allows us to model individual components of the headphone and then combine them all into a complete assembly. This assembly allows is to define how the parts interact with one another, manipulate them and run all kinds of calculations on them if we feel we need to. We also can then relatively painlessly move the parts into our production environment to be programmed for machining.

protocup.png

Fixture Design
Even though we’ll probably say every step in the process is the most important, fixture design is truly an incredibly important step. The right fixture enables us to locate and hold parts on the machines work table, and the wrong fixture enables us to crash our machine or send aluminum pieces careening in its walls. We use a variety of vices, jaws, grips, bolts, human sacrifice, and vacuums to hold our stock to the table while we machine it into usable parts.

When creating fixtures there a few crucial design elements that have to be thought about. We have to decide how the work-piece will fit in the fixture and how we will locate the part so that the machine knows where to cut. This is something that should also be highly repeatable and accurate, like put it in quickly while blindfolded and it will always end up at the same spot (within +/- .001”) accurate. The fixture must also be rigid so the work-piece cannot move or vibrate during machining; all of that energy should be sent out with the chips. Vibrations, or chatter, will ruin our desired surface finish and destroy our tools.

workholding.jpg

Sourcing
Aluminum is expensive, and seems to get more expensive every time we need to order more. While our machines are great for milling aluminum, its best for us to give them as much of head-start as possible. This means ordering stock that is as close to our final piece as financially possible, which generally means a block that’s slightly larger than the largest part of the finished piece. This helps mitigate wear and tear on the machine and prevent waste (wasted money, not aluminum, all of our aluminum chips get recycled locally). Our local aluminum suppliers and metal cutters enable us to really cut down on prep time and design efficient fixtures for our parts.

IMG_1259.JPG

The Machining Process
Now that we’ve got stock set in fixtures with programs, we’re ready to go! The first part of any setup is contact probing, where our machine sends a stylus-like tool down to the work table that measures dimensions and position. A probe is basically just a fancy switch that triggers whenever it contacts a surface. Probing tells the machine where to cut and ensures the accuracy of the program as we finish and put in new parts.

Once probing is completed, the noise begins. Our machines us a variety of tools: end mills, drills, taps, chamfer bits, and shell mills; to give us the aluminum piece we designed.

lathecup.jpg

Blasting
While freshly machined aluminum can have a nice, slick feel to it; it is generally not an appropriate finish for a final product. Once our parts are finished, we walk them over to our blasting cabinet. We use a “slurry” of water and tiny glass particles to blast our pieces, giving them a smooth satin feel. This process also removes any uneven shading or lines left over from the machining tools.

blastedcup.jpg

Anodizing
Once we’ve machined, blasted, and cleaned a part; we drive it over to our local anodization shop (right off the campus of the historic St. Louis Anheuser Busch Brewery) to give it that sleek black color and protect against scratches.

The anodization process is pretty interesting in and of itself. The anodized aluminium layer is grown by passing a direct current through an acidic solution, with the aluminium object serving as the anode (the positive electrode). The current releases hydrogen at the cathode (the negative electrode) and oxygen at the surface of the aluminium anode, creating a build-up of aluminium oxide and black dye. This is layer gives the Erupt cups and yokes their color.

Engraving
When we’ve safely transferred the parts back the office, their next stop is our laser engraver. Any text you see on aluminum Vokyl parts will have been engraved by this machine.

erngraveyoke.jpg

Oct 13, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #111 of 403
Wow! Very detailed works! I wonder what series of alluminium alloy is suitable for machining down to this type of thin shell shaping. 2000 series?

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #113 of 403
You should just stop after the blasting process :wink: That blasted look is SUPER sexy <3

Oct 16, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #114 of 403
Hello friends at Vokyl (@theotherjude),

I've been carefully following your project and what has transpired around it; There are some inconsistencies between the marketing material on the indiegogo campaign and what you've stated in this thread, so I was hoping you could clarify for us:

After the feedback tour happened and negative impressions started to surface about the Erupt, you stated that it is very much still in a prototype/design phase and the pads+tuning is very much experimental. However, in your indiegogo campaign, you state that the design phase is over and you only require funding for (and I quote): Molds / Tooling for the headbands and cups, Driver construction, and Raw materials (aluminum).

The second inconsistency I found was that you stated here that several "prototype units" sent for feedback are being sent with "different pad configurations" because the pads are still being finalized, however in your indiegogo campaign, you clearly state that the pads have been "ergonomically designed for both optimal comfort and sound quality" and you offer two configurations depending on the tuning and features expected by the user. This reads to me like the pad design is finalized and it just needs to be scaled up for production. (as it should be, given that you're pretty much ready for large scale manufacturing as per your indiegogo campaign)

It seems like there are a number of inconsistencies between what is being stated on your indiegogo campaign and what is being stated here as to how far along the project truly is, so I think it would be good to clear the air. If the project is still in fact under a design phase and not as far along as stated in the promotional material, then why is Zeos allowed to call his unit a "review unit" and publish a "proper review", while other members of the community were told that their units were solely for feedback/impression purposes and they couldn't post final reviews?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #119 of 403
The feedback tour has barely started... Unless you're talking about Zeus, who clearly loved them more than buttered sliced bread. And like one person thought they were 'meh' in the feedback so far, that he's referring to. Another person loved them, overall. But it is very strange, which exact model version(s) are going around to who.

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #120 of 403
I just read that feedback tour post. And really don't feel anything wrong as littleemp questioned.
Any pros and cons is normal on this stage and which is exactly what this kind of feedback tour purpose for. Find out more cons, instead of show off how good it is. (I think the show off job Z already did that)
If more cons can be pointed out, means I will get a less cons product.

And the post already say that there are several prototype with different tuning. Or someone want the final tune exacly same as the one sent to Z? I don't really want to... Comments from one single person sounds dangerous.
I DO believe Z preference quite similar as me but I'm still prefer more reviewer can be covered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back