Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Sep 28, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #92 of 403
Overlooked.
The mic actually is a detachable adapter.

I would like to get 2 pads instead of this.
Mics%20Infographic.png

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #94 of 403
With angled drivers, I'm a little worried about being able to hear/pinpoint sounds in the 180 degree arc behind you. What is the approximate horizontal range/arc these headphones have?

Sep 28, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #95 of 403
Dave - what are you doing buddy? Already bought 2 (!) headphones in September... :angry:
Besides, I missed out on the $250 option, so now with shipping it is almost $300. Sigh.
Now if it came with BOTH pads... :thinking:

Eh. I just bought Ether C Flows, Ether CX, Vokyl erupts, Pioneer SE405, Hifiman Edition X V2, and Fostex T60rp all in the last week. Par for the course at this point.

Sep 28, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #96 of 403
Eh. I just bought Ether C Flows, Ether CX, Vokyl erupts, Pioneer SE405, Hifiman Edition X V2, and Fostex T60rp all in the last week. Par for the course at this point.
I should have bought that lottery ticket with you and split the winnings... :wink:

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #97 of 403
Push that 5kHz peak up to 8-10kHz and you've got a winner.
Nice to see some new driver innovation.

no no no, please do not do that, i hate large spikes at 8-10k, you can tame the 5khz peak sure, but pushing it to 8-10k would basically make these headphones sound like beyerdynamics, aka ear bleed.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #98 of 403
Well, it's a bit contradictory/confusing what they say...

"Before we decided to build Erupt, we spent years using every solution on the [gaming] market: high-end headsets with 3rd-party peripheral boom or desktop USB mics, wireless headsets, and lackluster all-in-one solutions. Not a single one gave us the audio experience we wanted, so we set out to build one that did."

"Erupt’s journey began in 2016 after one of us bought a headset for our Playstation, and another, and then another, until we realized that there was literally nothing out there that had truly hi-fi grade sound, a mic, and great design."

What this tells me is...
1) They began NOTICING gaming headsets were crap in 2016.
2) They also began developing Erupt in 2016 ("so we set out to build one", "Erupt's journey began in 2016")
3) "years" of development phase market product testing/comparing means 2 years, at most.
4) It appears that PLAYSTATION gaming headsets were primarily noticed as being poor quality, to build upon, with no specific models being mentioned that Erupt has been tested against(models from 2015? 2016? 2017? 2018?)

beyerdynamic has been making headphones for years and still haven't found one I love, same with audio technica or akg, so really all this "years of experience" designing headphones doesn't really mean better, they may of "began" designing the erupt in 2016, but considering the reviews I'd say they made a lot of progress in a short period of time. now of course I'll judge them more thoroughly once i get them, but i have a good feeling about this one.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:56 PM Post #99 of 403
An while I respect companies that do that, measurements and hard numbers do not 100% translate acoustic performance. I still prefer "ear tuned" to machine, and most successful companies are doing both. That said, I'm sure the Vokyl team have the staffing and tooling to get the measurements they need/want but

Haha right, that he does! I could certainly use a little more fun and exciting in my own content >.>

As @Hyp0xia mentions, their target base doesn't care about that stuff as much. Why spend the time and energy making marketing materials that don't really have that much an impact on their target audience? An while ironically, JDS Labs is a very measurement heavy company and market's it self as such I don't think the Vokyl team are going to see much pay off for posting and declaring such specifications. Plus maybe those numbers are unique to their driver and they just don't wish to disclose that information just yet. Why should they reveal all the engineering details to their customers and competitors?

I'm helping run their tour and I think they aim in getting subjective feedback from listeners with a little dabbling of objective input is far better for everyone
specs don't matter if it sounds good.

Sep 28, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #100 of 403
Around 6k peak on Hd800, and 8-10k peak on Beyerdynamic T1.
Those peaks help getting them precise or detailed sounding with respect to human ear geometry, or generating false impression of being detailed?

Sep 28, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #101 of 403
I think the man is brilliant and I think people who cannot handle the "vulgarities" need to grow up and stop being so easily offended by everything. He makes audio fun and exciting, whereas so many other people suck all the fun out of this hobby. At the end of the day, it's all about the music, not DAC measurements, and he gets that. There are just way too many petty people who are either jealous or upset that he didn't like their favorite headphone.
I agree, i can't watch most audio reviewers as all i get is frequency graphs and measurements, and im thinking "great but i dont thhear measurements", I've listened to some of "best or most expensive" headphones and the diminishing returns hits quick, past $1000 i didn't see any real improvement to the sound, a $2000 headphone only really sounds slightly more refined and controlled, but that could of course be placebo effect as in I'm believing its doing something better just because i see a bigger price tag. I've even had stax and even they made me go "over 1000? for this" when the best sounding headphones i've heard are the lcd2 classic, hd600/650, 58x is okay but a bit narrow and overly midbassy, and 660s for me sounds like a hd650 if someone tried to eq it to be more fun but then ruined the sound.

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:05 AM Post #103 of 403
same with audio technica
To my ears and many others, for competitive gaming, these(AD series) are made of gold. I agree with you on Beyer & AKG :wink:

Sep 29, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #104 of 403
"While Erupt’s drivers make it a great choice for games, music, and movies, the mic setup is just as unique. This boom mic is fully detachable, mutable, and houses two separate microphones that the user can toggle on the fly."

It says the mic is fully detachable. What I'm wondering then is, when the mic is attached, does that mean one side of the cable will be slightly (~1 inch/height of the mic) longer than the other? Not a big deal, but I'm sure this will come up.

If you watch Z's unboxing of the headphones, it looks like one side is indeed an inch shorter to accommodate for the mic. It is just the prototype though, so who knows what they'll do for production.

Sep 29, 2018 at 3:41 AM Post #105 of 403
no no no, please do not do that, i hate large spikes at 8-10k, you can tame the 5khz peak sure, but pushing it to 8-10k would basically make these headphones sound like beyerdynamics, aka ear bleed.

If you look closely at the graph, you'll notice it's not a strong peak and doesn't go above the other 'peak' between 50-100Hz.
Pushing this gentle peak at 5 to 10kHz would make the headphone sound a lot more balanced and enjoyable.

Beyerdynamic 'house sound' peaks and HD800 treble spikes go significantly higher than any other frequency in their entire range.

My point still stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back