Introducing Vokyl & The Erupt Headset
Sep 26, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #61 of 403
For high Fidelity, you need to have a stiffer cone / dome and high magnetic flux density driver ( more than 1 tesla) / the properly engineered acoustic chamber.
I think this phone has enough stiff cone/dome but I am not sure it has high flux magnet / coil and motor structure combination.
Also stiffness to mass ration should be sufficient.
If they declare all those factors are declared on their site, then the sale would be easier.
For example of Audioquest headphones, they declare their motor / speaker / the acoustic chamber in details and they are so persuading and appealing.
Because all those items constitute the acoustic fidelity through voice coil motor and the speaker in the chamber.
Why do they not declare?
Maybe they have had difficulties for getting engineering tool and trained engineers to do so?

You do realize what demographic they are targeting with this product, right?

Sep 26, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #62 of 403
For high Fidelity, you need to have a stiffer cone / dome and high magnetic flux density driver ( more than 1 tesla) / the properly engineered acoustic chamber.
I think this phone has enough stiff cone/dome but I am not sure it has high flux magnet / coil and motor structure combination.
Also stiffness to mass ration should be sufficient.
If they declare all those factors are declared on their site, then the sale would be easier.
For example of Audioquest headphones, they declared their motor / speaker / the acoustic chamber in details and they are so persuading and appealing.
Because all those items constitute the acoustic fidelity through voice coil motor and the speaker in the chamber.
Why do they not declare?
Maybe they have had difficulties for getting engineering tool and trained engineers to do so?

An while I respect companies that do that, measurements and hard numbers do not 100% translate acoustic performance. I still prefer "ear tuned" to machine, and most successful companies are doing both. That said, I'm sure the Vokyl team have the staffing and tooling to get the measurements they need/want but

I think the man is brilliant and I think people who cannot handle the "vulgarities" need to grow up and stop being so easily offended by everything. He makes audio fun and exciting, whereas so many other people suck all the fun out of this hobby. At the end of the day, it's all about the music, not DAC measurements, and he gets that. There are just way too many petty people who are either jealous or upset that he didn't like their favorite headphone.

Haha right, that he does! I could certainly use a little more fun and exciting in my own content >.>

You do realize what demographic they are targeting with this product, right?

As @Hyp0xia mentions, their target base doesn't care about that stuff as much. Why spend the time and energy making marketing materials that don't really have that much an impact on their target audience? An while ironically, JDS Labs is a very measurement heavy company and market's it self as such I don't think the Vokyl team are going to see much pay off for posting and declaring such specifications. Plus maybe those numbers are unique to their driver and they just don't wish to disclose that information just yet. Why should they reveal all the engineering details to their customers and competitors?

I'm helping run their tour and I think they aim in getting subjective feedback from listeners with a little dabbling of objective input is far better for everyone

Sep 26, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #65 of 403
ECmUVahP7w4.png
106%

Sep 26, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #66 of 403
and I think the man is an idiot when it comes to reviews..sorry

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:34 PM Post #70 of 403
I think he definitely has a bias toward overly plush, fat earpads, that likely ruin the sound signature and get real sweaty. He's heard a lot, so I would think his opinions are at least mostly valid. I sure as hell did not like Fidelio X2's, tho... Heck, I got bored of HD600 as soon as I heard Stax, which he has definitely heard.

Sep 26, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #71 of 403
I think he definitely has a bias toward overly plush, fat earpads, that likely ruin the sound signature and get real sweaty. He's heard a lot, so I would think his opinions are at least mostly valid. I sure as hell did not like Fidelio X2's, tho... Heck, I got bored of HD600 as soon as I heard Stax, which he has definitely heard.

Yeah, Fidelio X2 sounds like mud to my ears. The bass just overwhelms everything else and you cannot hear any detail. His comparisons to the X1/X2 in his review of the Erupt do inspire confidence, however.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:03 AM Post #72 of 403
It would be so sweet if the outer earcup housings were CLEAR/transparent, or you could choose a transparency color/tint.

Sep 27, 2018 at 2:27 AM Post #73 of 403
Responding to these three points in order.
Not exactly, not necessary and yes.

Sep 27, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #74 of 403
Oh I see. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...eover&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=headfi#/
There are good information for driver at least, which seems good with respect to the engineering.
It reminds me of Nighthawk, which is also similar to Focal phones for stiffer cone/dome in the form of M that is standard form of stiffer speaker diaphragm.
Important is the stiffness to mass ratio where the extremest is Utopia of Focal.
When the ratio is still lower, the solution might be the high power voice coil motor for the compensation by adopting Neodymium magnet and enough turns of voice coil with enough diameter.
With Finite element method tool, the performance can be easily predicted, and the tool is very easy to use the use of which does not require the profession.
I think engineers of this phone are aware of the correct way of doing dynamic phone.
If this phone has proper highs where Nighthawk is too gentle for some recording, then I might buy.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #75 of 403
Oh I see. https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...eover&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=headfi#/
There are good information for driver at least, which seems good with respect to the engineering.
It reminds me of Nighthawk, which is also similar to Focal phones for stiffer cone/dome in the form of M that is standard form of stiffer speaker diaphragm.
Important is the stiffness to mass ratio where the extremest is Utopia of Focal.
When the ratio is still lower, the solution might be the high power voice coil motor for the compensation by adopting Neodymium magnet and enough turns of voice coil with enough diameter.
With Finite element method tool, the performance can be easily predicted, and the tool is very easy to use the use of which does not require the profession.
I think engineers of this phone are aware of the correct way of doing dynamic phone.
If this phone has proper highs where Nighthawk is too gentle for some recording, then I might buy.

I can tell you with 100% unwavering certainty that this headphone sounds MUCH better than the Nighthawk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back