Introducing the STAX SRM-T8000 - Head-Fi TV
Jul 11, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #241 of 247
If you were to make the modification then your 006 will be much more powerful and a better match to your 009. You could either try and find someone to make the modification for you or buy one already done and sell yours. Spritzer is selling one already modded here https://mjolnir-audio.com/used-amplifiers/

Frankly, anything he sells will sound better than anything that Stax sells.

THANK YOU\
MY 006ST IS NEW +WERANTY IF I OPEN IT NO WERNTY AT ALL

HER IN ISRAEL IN NOT USA OR EU

VERY FEW HAVE STAX .....006...007 727 353 353

BUT
THANK YOU
plinth

Jul 11, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #242 of 247
Have you talked to Head-amp? They may be able to 'xxx' the value for import?

BTW export from EU to Isreal is still 17%, but no tax on top of that. USA is bad for extra duty.
Seriously, I would ride a donkey to Can-Jam London to buy a BHSE, than buy the T8000 pile of xxx. If you really love your music and are serious about end game on your Stax.

On the Carbon and 009, I got fed up with that combination, had it for 3 years, also the 007 MK2 2017 model. The 009 was too bright and synthetic on the Carbon.
The BHSE is better as you can tune it with some nice NOS tubes.

Jul 11, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #243 of 247
Have you talked to Head-amp? They may be able to 'xxx' the value for import?

BTW export from EU to Isreal is still 17%, but no tax on top of that. USA is bad for extra duty.
Seriously, I would ride a donkey to Can-Jam London to buy a BHSE, than buy the T8000 pile of xxx. If you really love your music and are serious about end game on your Stax.

On the Carbon and 009, I got fed up with that combination, had it for 3 years, also the 007 MK2 2017 model. The 009 was too bright and synthetic on the Carbon.
The BHSE is better as you can tune it with some nice NOS tubes.

Have you talked to Head-amp? NO

HI
THANK YOU FOR YOUR ANSWER

WE HAVE 17ֲֵֵֶ% VAT+18% CASTOM TAX =35ֵֵ% IF YOU BAY IT YOUR SELF

I CANOT DO IT>>>> FLAY+4 DAY IN LONDON FOR Can-Jam to buy a BHSE>>>BAY IT BHSE GBP.... EUR.... $... >>>CARY IT >> AND SO ON TO BIG .FOR ME
{I CANOT WOLK-VERY VERY BAD LIMP}
ALL IN ALLL
7000$ OR MORE

BUT HOW KNEWS

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019 at 10:35 AM Post #244 of 247
If I were you I would import a used one from the EU. BHSE units with 220V do appear, but also consider the Mjölnir KGSSHV Carbon. The sound is very similar to the BHSE, is no where near as pretty but has a little more impact in the bass register. Importing from EU as you know is usually tax free due to bilateral agreements. I tested the SRM007 II and the T8000 and actually preferred the 007 as I found the T8000 uninvolving and rolled off the top end. Both amps merely hinted at what the 007 and 009 could deliver. The Mjölnir Carbon rocked my world. I think you will find many people who would say any of the Kevin Gilmore designed amps are better than any of the Stax amps (eg KGSS, KGST, KGSSHV and KGSSHV Carbon and others).

I doubt a supplier could legally deny any warranty claim based on use with a non-Stax driver as long as it was fit for purpose.

I had never heard Stax before and I left with an 007MK2 but continued my search for an amp that would drive them properly. I now listen to my Carbon several hours a day and it astonishes me every time I switch it on. I was so disappointed with the T8000.

Good luck Sonyes
THANK YOU

Aug 25, 2020 at 9:21 AM Post #245 of 247
Well, I spent at least a hour listening to the T8K yesterday in Akihabara. I will not claim to be a technical expert or even a Stax expert for that matter. Prior to coming to Japan I heard so much about them, how they were amazing and if you ever get the chance to buy a Stax product in Japan than do so. Upon arrival, I quickly went to the local store/stores had a listen. After listening to many of the products in all configurations I realized I was not overly impressed and could not justify the cost in purchasing a Stax unit. The current amplifiers appeared under powered and sound dry and sterile. Sorry, this is just my impression. For the record, I have not listened to any of the Stax products with any other amplifiers except Stax other than a brief listen too the SR-009 with the Woo Audio WES at the Newport Audio Show in 2015.

So, when I heard here Stax developed a new flagship amplifier the T8K, I knew I had to take audition. Fortunately i live here in Tokyo, so hopping on the train to Akihabara is not an inconvenience whatsoever. Anyway, here is my impression of the new T8K with the SR-L700, SR-007 & the flagship SR-009:

Even though I fought with background noise of the shoppers in the store, it really did not deter me from getting a good listen with all types of music genres utilizing a Luxman SACD as the source. I listened to the SR-009 first. The sound was extremely well balanced between the bass, mid and highs. One frequency did not overwhelm the other. The bass was tight, the mid neutral and musical and the high honestly little bright. Of course, this differed depending on the type of music. The sound had the tube warmth, but not dampened and SS output provided enough umff to tighten the bass. In the end, this amp was built for the SR-009 and if I chose to afford it than without a doubt this combination is the way to go.

Now, I did to choose to listen to the T8K with the SR-007 since the sales rep stated he felt the SR-007 was a better fit. After a good listen, i beg to differ. Sounded great, if one has the SR-007 in their possession than I would not keep you away from purchasing this amp. Although, I felt the sound shrunk and closed off in comparison to the SR-009. In other words, did not sound as dynamic and open. Honestly, I almost felt like the warmth went away. I have not read many reviews comparing the SR-007 and the SR-009, but this difference I heard may be expected. Let me stress, it definitely did not sound bad at all, but I would spend the extra dough for the flagship if I had the choice between the SR-007 and the SR-009. What is a extra couple hundred thousand yen if spending over 500,000 Yen on the T8K.

Now, let me contradict myself in stating "what is a extra couple hundred thousand yen" unless considering a HP which may IMHO closer to the sound of the SR-009. Again, I have not read any reviews comparing different Stax HPs, nor do I claim to be a Stax expert, but I thought the SR-L700 matched very well with the T8K. For a fraction of the cost of the SR-009, I could see myself pairing the SR-L700 with this amp. The warmth came back, the balance between frequencies were there, the bass less profound, but tight and the highs not so bright. The sales rep described the the SR-L700 as a forward sound or in his broken english as, " more in the forehead versus the back of the head". In the end, I will relinquish my previous comment and restate, if I chose not to spend the extra couple hundred thousand yen SINCE i am already spending 500,000 Yen than I would choose the very well matched SR-L700 with the T8K.

Ok, I have only spoke to the sound of the T8K when pairing with the different Stax models of headphones. Honestly, there is not much reason to digress or compare the T8K to other Stax amps. The T8K is on another level. The performance the T8K is able to provide to all the Stax headphones is above and beyond the current Stax amps on the market. Really no need to describe the idiosyncrasies between this amp and the others because the T8K beats IMHO the others in all categories. It drove all the headphones I auditioned with flawless ease. I only needed to raise the volume knob half way with the SR-009 despite all the background noise. I cannot say I could do the same with the other Stax amps. I will say the amp ran hot, but no more than the SRM-007t, but more surface area due to the larger size of the chassis. The size of the T8K is not large, the weight is not robust and the built is typical to Stax. The number of inputs are adequate for balanced and unbalanced choices. I can see where the bypass option would come in handy due to no remote. All in all, a huge improvement and well needed addition to the current Stax amp lineup.

The million dollar question (or 500,000 yen in may case for the T8K plus ear speaker choice) would I NOW purchase a Stax unit even though I chose not to before. Sigh........, I do not think so..... Even at 600,000 yen with the SR-L700, which I probably can get here in Tokyo, it does not justify the cost IMHO. I agree with many of you here in the forum, a 300,000 - 400,000 Yen price point is better for this amp. This amp is worth 2x the price of the other Stax amps, but not 3x. I did fall in the love the SR-L700 while pairing with the T8K and I may purchase these prior to leaving Japan, but I am not fully convinced I will be pairing it with the T8K. Again, I am not familiar with other brands of electrostatic amps and their cost. Perhaps in comparison with other amps from different brands to drive the SR-L700 will cost as much. I can imagine you all will let me know. I will close with this. I do not have much knowledge in the technicalities of this amp nor other amps, could not speak on "tube rolling" at all or even give you an analytical appraisal on this amp but only what I heard. But, in the end, don't we all only have one thing in common, the ability to judge on what we hear?

Replying to my own posting. 3 years later, now in the US, I own the 009 with BHSE. Never say never, haha.

Feb 9, 2024 at 1:54 PM Post #247 of 247
Well, I spent at least a hour listening to the T8K yesterday in Akihabara. I will not claim to be a technical expert or even a Stax expert for that matter. Prior to coming to Japan I heard so much about them, how they were amazing and if you ever get the chance to buy a Stax product in Japan than do so. Upon arrival, I quickly went to the local store/stores had a listen. After listening to many of the products in all configurations I realized I was not overly impressed and could not justify the cost in purchasing a Stax unit. The current amplifiers appeared under powered and sound dry and sterile. Sorry, this is just my impression. For the record, I have not listened to any of the Stax products with any other amplifiers except Stax other than a brief listen too the SR-009 with the Woo Audio WES at the Newport Audio Show in 2015.

So, when I heard here Stax developed a new flagship amplifier the T8K, I knew I had to take audition. Fortunately i live here in Tokyo, so hopping on the train to Akihabara is not an inconvenience whatsoever. Anyway, here is my impression of the new T8K with the SR-L700, SR-007 & the flagship SR-009:

Even though I fought with background noise of the shoppers in the store, it really did not deter me from getting a good listen with all types of music genres utilizing a Luxman SACD as the source. I listened to the SR-009 first. The sound was extremely well balanced between the bass, mid and highs. One frequency did not overwhelm the other. The bass was tight, the mid neutral and musical and the high honestly little bright. Of course, this differed depending on the type of music. The sound had the tube warmth, but not dampened and SS output provided enough umff to tighten the bass. In the end, this amp was built for the SR-009 and if I chose to afford it than without a doubt this combination is the way to go.

Now, I did to choose to listen to the T8K with the SR-007 since the sales rep stated he felt the SR-007 was a better fit. After a good listen, i beg to differ. Sounded great, if one has the SR-007 in their possession than I would not keep you away from purchasing this amp. Although, I felt the sound shrunk and closed off in comparison to the SR-009. In other words, did not sound as dynamic and open. Honestly, I almost felt like the warmth went away. I have not read many reviews comparing the SR-007 and the SR-009, but this difference I heard may be expected. Let me stress, it definitely did not sound bad at all, but I would spend the extra dough for the flagship if I had the choice between the SR-007 and the SR-009. What is a extra couple hundred thousand yen if spending over 500,000 Yen on the T8K.

Now, let me contradict myself in stating "what is a extra couple hundred thousand yen" unless considering a HP which may IMHO closer to the sound of the SR-009. Again, I have not read any reviews comparing different Stax HPs, nor do I claim to be a Stax expert, but I thought the SR-L700 matched very well with the T8K. For a fraction of the cost of the SR-009, I could see myself pairing the SR-L700 with this amp. The warmth came back, the balance between frequencies were there, the bass less profound, but tight and the highs not so bright. The sales rep described the the SR-L700 as a forward sound or in his broken english as, " more in the forehead versus the back of the head". In the end, I will relinquish my previous comment and restate, if I chose not to spend the extra couple hundred thousand yen SINCE i am already spending 500,000 Yen than I would choose the very well matched SR-L700 with the T8K.

Ok, I have only spoke to the sound of the T8K when pairing with the different Stax models of headphones. Honestly, there is not much reason to digress or compare the T8K to other Stax amps. The T8K is on another level. The performance the T8K is able to provide to all the Stax headphones is above and beyond the current Stax amps on the market. Really no need to describe the idiosyncrasies between this amp and the others because the T8K beats IMHO the others in all categories. It drove all the headphones I auditioned with flawless ease. I only needed to raise the volume knob half way with the SR-009 despite all the background noise. I cannot say I could do the same with the other Stax amps. I will say the amp ran hot, but no more than the SRM-007t, but more surface area due to the larger size of the chassis. The size of the T8K is not large, the weight is not robust and the built is typical to Stax. The number of inputs are adequate for balanced and unbalanced choices. I can see where the bypass option would come in handy due to no remote. All in all, a huge improvement and well needed addition to the current Stax amp lineup.

The million dollar question (or 500,000 yen in may case for the T8K plus ear speaker choice) would I NOW purchase a Stax unit even though I chose not to before. Sigh........, I do not think so..... Even at 600,000 yen with the SR-L700, which I probably can get here in Tokyo, it does not justify the cost IMHO. I agree with many of you here in the forum, a 300,000 - 400,000 Yen price point is better for this amp. This amp is worth 2x the price of the other Stax amps, but not 3x. I did fall in the love the SR-L700 while pairing with the T8K and I may purchase these prior to leaving Japan, but I am not fully convinced I will be pairing it with the T8K. Again, I am not familiar with other brands of electrostatic amps and their cost. Perhaps in comparison with other amps from different brands to drive the SR-L700 will cost as much. I can imagine you all will let me know. I will close with this. I do not have much knowledge in the technicalities of this amp nor other amps, could not speak on "tube rolling" at all or even give you an analytical appraisal on this amp but only what I heard. But, in the end, don't we all only have one thing in common, the ability to judge on what we hear?
7 years since this post. I sold off my 009 and purchased the Stax L700. I should have listened to my younger self in the first place. Oh, well, had to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back