Introducing the new Continental V5 portable tube amp
Jun 16, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #676 of 867
ALO support said the pops are not an issue. Also, the pops WILL NOT cause any damage so I can leave my iems plugged in. It would have been a PITA to have to unplug/replug iems all the time.

Thanks for the replies! The pop on starting the unit isn't loud, just a bit bothered since it's not supposed to be there.

I messaged ALO about it. If anyone else is experiencing this I'll post their reply here.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #677 of 867
Loving my cv5 right now, but strangely enough the mojo actually runs hotter than the CV5! Curious about the other tubes, I heard you could use some of the CDM tubes for the CV5, is there a list anywhere for those compatible tubes? :D
Haven't had a long enough run with the CV5 to compare (about an hour of on-off usage at my longest go), but the Mojo does indeed run a tad too warm at times. If I remember correctly, the CV5 was pretty cool throughout my few auditions with the amp.

Speaking of which, how does the Mojo sound with the CV5?

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #678 of 867
Haven't had a long enough run with the CV5 to compare (about an hour of on-off usage at my longest go), but the Mojo does indeed run a tad too warm at times. If I remember correctly, the CV5 was pretty cool throughout my few auditions with the amp.

Speaking of which, how does the Mojo sound with the CV5?

Based from most of my listening using my Angie, I originally had a problem with the highs of the mojo being somewhat rolled off. I can't say for sure if it's inherent with the mojo but using it with the cv5 did help with the treble being more extended as well as increasing the amount of actual details I hear (or it just made the details more audible).

While using it with my Ether Flow, I could definitely say that it does somewhat elevate the highs as opposed to just using the mojo by itself. I would even go further and say that it gets close the treble peaks that I originally had a problem with the original Ether. I would take that with a grain of salt as I tend to shy away from anything that has treble peaks, so ymmv.

I would say overall the cv5 compliments the mojo fairly well, they're a great combo if I have to say so myself. Excited to try it out with all sorts of IEMs and headphones.

BTW these are just based on the default tubes and haven't given the other tubes a try.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #679 of 867
Based from most of my listening using my Angie, I originally had a problem with the highs of the mojo being somewhat rolled off. I can't say for sure if it's inherent with the mojo but using it with the cv5 did help with the treble being more extended as well as increasing the amount of actual details I hear (or it just made the details more audible).
Interesting. This I've got to try for myself. I'm no treble-head, but a little more extension would certainly help the Mojo.

Btw, thanks for the impressions! Will look to get an audition with the CV5 (and my Mojo) soon. :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #680 of 867
Interesting. This I've got to try for myself. I'm no treble-head, but a little more extension would certainly help the Mojo.

Btw, thanks for the impressions! Will look to get an audition with the CV5 (and my Mojo) soon. :)

Highly recommend it, on that note had a friend try out the cv5 with his fiio x1 and he was utterly floored on how much it had made his x1 sound better. He's now saving up to get one for himself. :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #681 of 867
Highly recommend it, on that note had a friend try out the cv5 with his fiio x1 and he was utterly floored on how much it had made his x1 sound better. He's now saving up to get one for himself. :)
It doesn't help that I am a sucker for ALO Audio's amps. They make really good, quality-sounding stuff. My initial impressions with the CV5 were all positive, so I believe a lengthier audition would only reinforce my desire to get one. Darn.. There goes my wallet again.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:45 PM Post #682 of 867
It doesn't help that I am a sucker for ALO Audio's amps. They make really good, quality-sounding stuff. My initial impressions with the CV5 were all positive, so I believe a lengthier audition would only reinforce my desire to get one. Darn.. There goes my wallet again.

Agreed! Had the little RX before and was amazed how great it was but it couldn't drive headphones which was the reason I got the cv5 instead. I did want the CDM but I thought the cv5 would offer more flexibility in terms of changing from a DAP or a DAC and I head it runs way colder than the CDM.

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:51 PM Post #683 of 867
Agreed! Had the little RX before and was amazed how great it was but it couldn't drive headphones which was the reason I got the cv5 instead. I did want the CDM but I thought the cv5 would offer more flexibility in terms of changing from a DAP or a DAC and I head it runs way colder than the CDM.
Yeah, I too feel that the Rx lacks some power. I'm using it exclusively with IEMs, but some of my less sensitive earphones require near-max volume on the Rx to get anywhere near normal listening levels. Still, it is a great sounding amp. Just not as flexible as I thought it'd be.

One thing I like about the CV5 is its build - small like the Rx, with a lot more power underneath. You're right about the operating temperature, too. In all my auditions with the CV5, I didn't think it became sufficiently warm to warrant any panic. The CDM on the other hand..... :sweat_smile:

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #684 of 867
Yeah, I too feel that the Rx lacks some power. I'm using it exclusively with IEMs, but some of my less sensitive earphones require near-max volume on the Rx to get anywhere near normal listening levels. Still, it is a great sounding amp. Just not as flexible as I thought it'd be.

One thing I like about the CV5 is its build - small like the Rx, with a lot more power underneath. You're right about the operating temperature, too. In all my auditions with the CV5, I didn't think it became sufficiently warm to warrant any panic. The CDM on the other hand..... :sweat_smile:

Would like to give the CDM a try in the future but probably when I have a table to just have it lay flat on. Have fun with your longer listening session with the CV5, you'll love it more the longer you listen!

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:12 PM Post #685 of 867
Would like to give the CDM a try in the future but probably when I have a table to just have it lay flat on. Have fun with your longer listening session with the CV5, you'll love it more the longer you listen!
Thanks, buddy! Will chime in with more impressions once I get the time to listen to the CV5 in depth (hopefully sometime next week).

Btw, if you love the CV5, you'll love the CDM, too. Just ignore the DAC - the amp section is what makes it great. :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #686 of 867
Thanks, buddy! Will chime in with more impressions once I get the time to listen to the CV5 in depth (hopefully sometime next week).

Btw, if you love the CV5, you'll love the CDM, too. Just ignore the DAC - the amp section is what makes it great. :)

Tempting, I will have to think about it. I could probably use the mojo with the CDM but that would be a waste for the DAC section of the CDM. I'm still in the middle of upgrading my desktop setup and as I've just recently finished building my "transportable" setup. Looking forward to your impressions as well! :)

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #687 of 867
Tempting, I will have to think about it. I could probably use the mojo with the CDM but that would be a waste for the DAC section of the CDM. I'm still in the middle of upgrading my desktop setup and as I've just recently finished building my "transportable" setup. Looking forward to your impressions as well! :)
Frankly, I think the CDM's DAC section is something of a waste - it's not the best DAC out there, and most people buying, or thinking of buying, the CDM are probably only doing so because of its superb amp capabilities. The CV5 addresses some of that problems, and it's probably a winner in most ways. It's smaller, lighter, cooler, and not as excruciatingly expensive. Still, the CDM, as an amp alone, is quite superb, and is probably the best sounding of ALO's amps IMO. The CV5, is probably ALO's answer to the question - what if they created a CDM without the DAC?

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #688 of 867
Frankly, I think the CDM's DAC section is something of a waste - it's not the best DAC out there, and most people buying, or thinking of buying, the CDM are probably only doing so because of its superb amp capabilities. The CV5 addresses some of that problems, and it's probably a winner in most ways. It's smaller, lighter, cooler, and not as excruciatingly expensive. Still, the CDM, as an amp alone, is quite superb, and is probably the best sounding of ALO's amps IMO. The CV5, is probably ALO's answer to the question - what if they created a CDM without the DAC?

I've actually given the CDM a try just yesterday. It was only a short while though, maybe a 15-20 minutes, so some might find it inconclusive but its a good start. Anyway what I found was that I didn't hear much of a difference between the CDM's amp section and the cv5 using the mojo as a DAC. Which makes me believe that if there are any differences, it would take much longer to actually find(hear?) them but that would be something minute. Although I did try the CDM with stock tubes as the unit I was using was not a demo unit and we didn't want to tamper with it too much, so I can't say for sure if there would be a bigger jump in quality if I'd have tried the CDM with different tubes.

I was always under the assumption that the CV5 had always been ALO's response to everyone who wanted a DACless CDM :)

Jun 25, 2017 at 3:58 PM Post #689 of 867
I've actually given the CDM a try just yesterday. It was only a short while though, maybe a 15-20 minutes, so some might find it inconclusive but its a good start. Anyway what I found was that I didn't hear much of a difference between the CDM's amp section and the cv5 using the mojo as a DAC. Which makes me believe that if there are any differences, it would take much longer to actually find(hear?) them but that would be something minute. Although I did try the CDM with stock tubes as the unit I was using was not a demo unit and we didn't want to tamper with it too much, so I can't say for sure if there would be a bigger jump in quality if I'd have tried the CDM with different tubes.

I was always under the assumption that the CV5 had always been ALO's response to everyone who wanted a DACless CDM :)
Yes, by auditioning the CV5 and the CDM together, you can clearly discern their many similarities. On some of my favorite tracks, though, I actually found the mids on the CDM to be a little thicker and more forward. It wasn't a grand difference, and you'd definitely need to listen intently to tell them apart. Both amps were demo units, burnt in, and using stock tubes. Either way, anyway who loves this particular sound would be happy with either unit.

Jul 9, 2017 at 8:40 AM Post #690 of 867
Hi everyone,

Small question for owners of this portable amplifier.

I extensively compared the Alo Audio Continental V5 and the JDS Labs C5D Amp+DAC with my Grado SR325e headphones and Cowen Plenue D DAP.

I can't really tell them apart--not in a significant manner at least.

Does that make sense? How likely is that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back