Introducing the Melos SHA-2
Apr 1, 2002 at 9:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Nick Dangerous

Mr. Tuberrific
Will's dream is becoming a reality. The SHA-2 will still be a linestage/headphone amp and have the same chassis and potentiometer (apparently to save money), but it will be a 100% OTL tubed design.

The original OTL prototype schematic has been tweaked to incorporate the best things about the last iteration of the SHA-1 while remaining OTL. It will use 3 6922's, silver interconnects throughout, and still have 3 input jacks/2 headphone jacks (upgraded).

There's also a feature called DHi that measures and adjusts the output according to the impedance of the headphones connected. I hope this won't wind up being an expensive gimmick to replace like the PHO-tentiometer.
frown.gif

The best part? The initial batch will be ready in late July at an estimated $1250 apiece. Hmmmm. It might be time for a garage sale.

Apr 1, 2002 at 3:49 PM Post #4 of 15
I give up, Nick, what was DHi supposed to be? Deviation handicapped impedance? I would have used AFJ as my made up acronym, I think.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 1, 2002 at 4:59 PM Post #6 of 15
will it at least inherit the unreliability of the SHA-1? x2?

DHi = diagnostic hybrids, inc.
they release a herpes simplex virus test called ELVIS. stands for Enzyme Linked Virus Inducible System.

Apr 2, 2002 at 3:19 AM Post #11 of 15
The SHA-2 is basically what the Melos SHA-1 was supposed to be. For some reason they made the SHA-1 hybrid instead of all tube. I'm not sure the SHA-1 would still be the SHA-1 if it were not hybrid... I think that's where it gets its unique sound.

Apr 2, 2002 at 3:52 AM Post #12 of 15
The Melos SHA-1 is an OTL design. In fact, Melos advertised it as such. OTL just means "output transformerless". A hybrid design can be OTL. There is no output transformer in the SHA-1.

Apr 2, 2002 at 3:59 AM Post #14 of 15
So if I got the impedance matching electronic module for the RKV, would it be a hybrid then?
smily_headphones1.gif
And would it still be considered OTL?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back