Introducing the LCD-i3
Aug 17, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #736 of 1,041
Is anyone running android with something like a ES100 (or comparable) using LDAC and achieving results that sound better than the cipher v2 with more power and eq? If so, kindly share EQ settings.

I have tried but the Cipher cable sounds alot better with sound stage, than using a silver cable with Es100. I can get the ESS tonality to work similar with the cipher cable but the soundstage and clarity is not there. It seems the cable has some kind of DSP already prebuilt (even if you dun use EQ). The cipher cable just sound great out of anything I plug into once the EQ is done.

Also note- if you shave off the BT cable plastic connection a little, I am able to connect to my IEM (A6T) and get bluetooth out of it. But the mic will dangle on top of my ear lope. = Just for fun testing.

I bought the Anker's USB C to lightning to use with my Fio M11PRO and it works with UAPP. I compare using direct headphone in and Cipher cable and the sound is radically diff. THe cipher cable wins hands down (more power, bass punch, clarity and Soundstage is just big and wide). Doesn;t matter what Silver high end cable I use, The cipher wins hand s down so far.

phone call works well but if interuppted by another call, the cipher cable cant return to the origially call. - Just a note.

Has anyone tried to take photo of their ear and download a personalize sound to their Cipher (Reveal Aural + on their apps? how does this work?

Aug 19, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #737 of 1,041
deleted

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #741 of 1,041
I dont know if anyone believes is asmr, but through these or the lcd-2 and certain music hit the asmr where many other headphones dont. I domt know if it’s the accuracy of the voices, or what...... but very few things transmitting music to my ears sends that shiver, that numbing tingle through me like the LCD-2 or the LCD-i3.

Aug 23, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #743 of 1,041
These are really meant to be EQ'd, either via the Cipher cable or via parametric EQ. Without EQ, some may find them listenable, but they will sound a lot better with EQ.

Does the "A&K Kann Cube" offer parametric or fixed-band EQ?

FWIW, here are the parametric EQ settings I use (slightly milder version of Oratory1990's settings):

Roon 2020-08-23 12-13-12.png

Aug 24, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #744 of 1,041
Is the cipher cable an absolute must for these to sound good?

How would the stock cable connected to the Astell and Kern Kann Cube without EQ sound?

If anyone can answer, please?

They do sound good without EQ as is. The stock sound will still have deep bass and slam (just no qty), It has one of best PRAT out there (if not the best for IEM)- Soundstage wise (no EQ) - No IEM can come close to it (not even the ALO Andromeda) or the Audio 64 "open IEM " can match.

If you add in a pure silver cable with balance, on either a M11pro, or with an amp, it will sound really good (in fact some people prefer this set up to the Cipher cable). To beat the cipher without EQ from both cable (my own experiment)- I will need a Litz pure OCC silver cable, balance and running from a good source like the M11PRO or a dedicated amp. But the convenience of the cipher cable with EQ connected to the iphone can do 95% of that saving the dedicated amps, and expensive gear. That is the beauty of the LCD i3 (you won't miss the amp anymore) its super loud with very little distortion. Push the bass EQ up 2-3 db and I think I have my end game IEM. (or headphone).

The cipher cable make the sound more bold and extend higher on the treble. There is 2 sound signature on this IEM. Its really preference. The good thing is (without EQ) the sound stage, PRAT and bass extension remains unchanged for both cable (using a silver cable and balance).

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #745 of 1,041
Is the cipher cable an absolute must for these to sound good?

How would the stock cable connected to the Astell and Kern Kann Cube without EQ sound?

If anyone can answer, please?
No, not necessarily. However the cipher is engineered, and tuned for them. With a good amp, and some tweaking yes you can get another stack to sound as good or even possibly better than the cipher. However the benefit of the cipher is it sounds amazing, and its a all in one portable package, just plug it in and go (iphone). I dont have the Astell and Kern so unfortunately cannot attest to that.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 6:04 PM Post #746 of 1,041
I have the iSine10 and Astell & Kern Kann, so not quite apples to apples, but I do listen at times to the 10's on my Kann, regular 3.5mm cable on high gain with no EQ - not bad, certainly listenable, but not with the fullness and impact with the cipher cable. Usually listen with the Kann volume around the 75 to 90 mark (high gain). I will say that I didn't really care for listening with the regular 3.5mm cable on my iphone 6S vs the cipher cable, but the on the Kann it does sound respectable.

Aug 26, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #747 of 1,041
I have the iSine10 and Astell & Kern Kann, so not quite apples to apples, but I do listen at times to the 10's on my Kann, regular 3.5mm cable on high gain with no EQ - not bad, certainly listenable, but not with the fullness and impact with the cipher cable. Usually listen with the Kann volume around the 75 to 90 mark (high gain). I will say that I didn't really care for listening with the regular 3.5mm cable on my iphone 6S vs the cipher cable, but the on the Kann it does sound respectable.
Might have to tinker around with the EQ to get it to cipher voicing.

Aug 26, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #748 of 1,041
Note there is 2 EQ in the cipher cable.

The 1st EQ is built in the cipher cable which cannot be adjusted.
The 2nd EQ is from the IOs apps where I can adjust.
Which is why it sounded so much diff between the cipher and 3.5mm with no EQ. (casue there is a hidden EQ in the cipher cable which cannot be adjusted).

Aug 27, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #749 of 1,041
Note there is 2 EQ in the cipher cable.

The 1st EQ is built in the cipher cable which cannot be adjusted.
The 2nd EQ is from the IOs apps where I can adjust.
Which is why it sounded so much diff between the cipher and 3.5mm with no EQ. (casue there is a hidden EQ in the cipher cable which cannot be adjusted).
Hmmm I wonder what EQ 1 consists of, and if EQ 2 is just a overlay tweak to 1.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #750 of 1,041
One thing ive noticed about the lcd-i3 vs, the isine10 i have. On old, or badly done tracks, the lcd-i3 brings out every single flaw, every bit of microphone noise, or compression noise. The isine10 kinda smoothes those out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back