Introducing the HIFIMAN Sundara Closed-Back
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:05 PM Post #31 of 203
I just bought the Oppo PM-3, then this gets announced. I also bought the regular Sundara for $224, so I’ll check this out. Here’s hoping these have a little more bass to them

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #32 of 203
Wow, a new affordable closed-back!

There are so few closed-back options but we closed-back fans are out there so I’m always excited when a new one comes out.

Can’t wait to try these. I didn’t care for the R9 (sound was alright, but flimsy build and poor isolation). So I’m hoping these fare better.

just wood cups slapped onto the Sundara open back -- I hope they adjusted the tuning.

Same. It looks like that, but I hope more has been done here!

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #34 of 203
We are waiting for you at CanJam London!
2022.7.29INS-2022-7-26-2.jpg

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jul 29, 2022 at 2:15 AM Post #35 of 203
Will they be available for sale at the CanJam show?

Jul 29, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #37 of 203
Yes, sorry, to be clear, I meant the physical fit -- I quite like the R7DX sonically, although it's better if I get a better seal, so even the physical fit itself can alter the sound, although I think it still sounds good even when loose, just not as good as it is when I push the cups in a little.

I've never heard the R9, but I feared that it would likewise not fit me well -- I've come close to pulling the trigger on the R9 a few times since the price has been reduced to $369, but I think now I will wait for the Sundara Closed Back to be available.

I sure hope the Sundara Closed Back isn't just wood cups slapped onto the Sundara open back -- I hope they adjusted the tuning. 😅
Me too. We will soon find out. I’m not going to be the guinea pig 😆

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:05 AM Post #38 of 203
Sadly they seem to use the same bad design as Sundara, the only difference I can see is the wooden covers, headband and pads (size) seems the same which means they are probably just as uncomfortable to use.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:17 AM Post #42 of 203
@TeamHiFiMAN Do you think this will go for $250 or $200 by Black Friday? I am wondering how long I should wait.
While I would love to see these come down to a $200 price point, I don't see that as realistic unless it flops similarly to the R9. If the original Sundara launched at $500, I would think that the closed version would match that price, if not increase it due to the open back version's success. Maybe in a few years, It'll come down to ~$300 similar to the Sundara.

Jul 30, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #43 of 203
While I would love to see these come down to a $200 price point, I don't see that as realistic unless it flops similarly to the R9. If the original Sundara launched at $500, I would think that the closed version would match that price, if not increase it due to the open back version's success. Maybe in a few years, It'll come down to ~$300 similar to the Sundara.
I hope the dynamic between the Sundara open and closed will be similar to the Monolith M1060/1060C. Meaning that the closed version will be a slightly more expensive, yet thoughouly more polished and versatile headphone.

To continue the analogy, It would be interesting to see another closed back variant that outperforms the open-back counterpart with the cups removed.

I'm not giving any hopes up, but I'm excited to say the least. Most realistically, the greatest outcome of the closed Sundara will be the open-sundara's drop in price secondhand.

Jul 30, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #45 of 203
Someone told me this is the Sony MDR-R10 killer… Wood cups are carved from 1000 year old exotic such and such. Epic sound. Real game changer here ladies and gents. Step right up and watch your money disappear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back