Introducing the HIFIMAN EF400 Balanced Desktop DAC/Amplifier!
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #226 of 775
The EF400 only accepts digital inputs, either as a USB-B or USB-C. The only RCA jack on it is an output. So, no, you can't connect an analog source to this amp.
Well that's a shame~ I guess I'll have to continue my search for a new amp elsewhere

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #229 of 775
HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Aug 14, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #232 of 775
I saw a review that mentioned Balanced out sounding better than Single-Ended on this unit, If true, how much of a difference is there? I only have a stock cable for my Edition XS and same will be true for HE-R9 that I'm planning to purchase.

Also, If I connect IEMs to the unit, how much volume range will I get? and is there any hiss with the unit?

What's the static noise issue @Mansinthe86 mentioned.

Aug 15, 2022 at 12:22 AM Post #233 of 775
I saw a review that mentioned Balanced out sounding better than Single-Ended on this unit, If true, how much of a difference is there? I only have a stock cable for my Edition XS and same will be true for HE-R9 that I'm planning to purchase.
There is a noticeable difference with my headphones HD6XX and especially LCD2C, the dynamics are increased, bass slams a little harder and overall sound becomes a touch more ticker. With IEMs though the difference is not significant.
Also, If I connect IEMs to the unit, how much volume range will I get? and is there any hiss with the unit?
With my IEMs Blessing 2 and Kanas Pro on low gain I can get around 11-12 o clock on normal recordings and on quieter recordings I can get past 2o clock. I would say that is a decent volume range.
What's the static noise issue @Mansinthe86 mentioned.
I don't have any noise issues with my unit.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #234 of 775
There is a noticeable difference with my headphones HD6XX and especially LCD2C, the dynamics are increased, bass slams a little harder and overall sound becomes a touch more ticker. With IEMs though the difference is not significant.
Well, I guess I need to get a Balanced cable for my Headphone. I don't see why it would be but is there a difference between 4.4 & XLR?

Aug 18, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #238 of 775
I am surprised this unit has not gained more traction. While not perfect, I am super impressed. I am sitting here with a Bifrost 2/64 and a Jotunheim 2 and I think they'll have to go back to Schiit. While the Schiit stack sounds good, it lacks the cohesive feel I get with the EF400. I feel the treble and sound stage are better on the Hifiman. To me, it just pairs better with my Edition XS and Arya SE. I have a sneaky suspicion that ASR would have a field day with this combo, but honestly, it just sounds good. Highly recommended by this random guy on the internet.

Aug 18, 2022 at 8:42 PM Post #239 of 775
I purchased mine yesterday, hopefully it'll arrive soon. How long did it take for you to burn in this DAC?

Any users of HE-R9 here? How does it pair with the EF400?

@jfox8 I plan to use mine with the Edition XS too, I think it's warm, laid back sound will pair nicely with the detailed and slightly bright (to my ears) Edition XS.

Aug 18, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #240 of 775
I purchased mine yesterday, hopefully it'll arrive soon. How long did it take for you to burn in this DAC?

Any users of HE-R9 here? How does it pair with the EF400?

@jfox8 I plan to use mine with the Edition XS too, I think it's warm, laid back sound will pair nicely with the detailed and slightly bright (to my ears) Edition XS.
I think you will find that it pairs really well. I was running the Edition XS through a THX 789 and a Modius DAC and it was too much for me. The EF400 toned it down just enough to make it very enjoyable listening experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back