Introducing the EVGA NU Audio Pro Cards - Ascend From Lifelike Audio to 7.1 Heaven
Feb 6, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #76 of 110
I did not replace the LT1469 opamp in the main card. The reason for this is because it is just used for the headphone amp. I already own an Audio-GD C-2 2017 Edition headphone amp. I ended up replacing the AD8056 with a LME49720HA metal can in the main card. This opamp is for the main left and right channels. I then replaced all of the three OPA275 opamps in the daughter card with 3 of the LME49720HA metal cans. The sound quality with the metal cans is a great improvement over the stock opamps. These puppies pair extremely well with the AKM DAC chips on the card. I am really impressed.

Feb 6, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #77 of 110
I listen to my music and games with my audeze lcd2-c hedphones only. Do you think it is worth changing the LT1469 with a LME49720HA for better soundquality throuh the headphones? How does the LME Opamp compare to the LT1469?

Feb 6, 2020 at 8:32 AM Post #78 of 110
I listen to my music and games with my audeze lcd2-c hedphones only. Do you think it is worth changing the LT1469 with a LME49720HA for better soundquality throuh the headphones? How does the LME Opamp compare to the LT1469?
Note that there are very few sellers around they sell genuine LME49720HA unless you solder it onto a dip yourself.
If you buy on ebay for example large chance they are fake..

Feb 8, 2020 at 4:11 AM Post #79 of 110
I bought this card (the new Pro version) and really like it except for one big disappointment. I bought it to replace my Asus Xonar Essence ST. The Asus was perfect for me except for its dangerous random high pitched screeches that would happen. I got fed up with that problem and looked for a card to replace it with equal sound quality and features. In particular, other audiophile sound cards I tried did not have the necessary feature to switch between headphones and speakers in the software. The Asus did this perfectly and I did not want to have to physically turn off my speakers every time I switched to headphones. If I have headphones on, why would I want the same sound to be coming out of the speakers? (The Claro Halo had this problem, and its sound quality was clearly inferior to the Asus).

The Nu Audio Pro sounds great. It is more neutral and detailed than the Asus, with a wider soundstage, and better extension on both ends. I was excited to play around with opamps to try and fill out the midrange a bit more and maybe make it slightly warmer. It also has the ability to easily switch between headphones and speakers in the software. And it doesn't make me anxious that it's going to explode into a deafening screech at any moment when I play another Youtube video.

The disappointment with it is that with sensitive IEMs it does not provide a quiet background. The card is marketed with the feature to adjust the output impedance, making it suitable for IEMs. But no matter the settings, with IEMs there is not a quiet background; the Windows environment produces random static-y interference. Even if I set the volume to zero with no sounds playing, if I move the mouse around in Windows, I can hear noise through the headphones that matches my mouse movements. It's less of a bother with music playing but if I pay attention I can still hear the interference for sure as I am doing work. If I switch the output to the Asus (I have both still installed in my PC), the background is black and I do not get any interference from simply moving the mouse or doing tasks in Windows. So I do not think it is my specific case or PC environment that is causing this--it is something with the Nu Audio card itself.

This problem isn't detectable with speakers, or when I use my full-size headphones, which is why I am probably going to keep the card. Still, for $199 and a card that specifically markets itself as being suitable for headphones of any sensitivity, it's disappointing that it can't produce a clean output with IEMs. And really, what this means is that it's not truly producing a clean output period--it just isn't detectable, at least with the other equipment I have.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #81 of 110
@Friskyseal The 6 kHz scream occurs only under Microsoft® Windows® 6.0.6000 and later due to an audio stack that gave chip manufacturers other than C-Media International, Inc., fits as well (still a problem under Windows 10.0.18363.592); I have no such issue with my XONARESSENCESTX/A under ubuntu® 16.04.6-LTS, as I explained my review thereof 24 April 2012 as updated.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #82 of 110
@Friskyseal The 6 kHz scream occurs only under Microsoft® Windows® 6.0.6000 and later due to an audio stack that gave chip manufacturers other than C-Media International, Inc., fits as well (still a problem under Windows 10.0.18363.592); I have no such issue with my XONARESSENCESTX/A under ubuntu® 16.04.6-LTS, as I explained my review thereof 24 April 2012 as updated.

Right, thank you, but should I really have to switch operating systems because of this issue?

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #84 of 110
An opamp design like the ZXR, with dual I/V opamps with dual single buffers would yeld a better stereo separation and more detailed sound.
Search ZXR vs STX for my comparison, the ZXR has the best stereo separation hands down.
Im torn between Nu audio pro and the creative AE9.
Wish they have used burr-brown dac instead...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #85 of 110
I decided to return the card. I began to notice that the static/interference noise was detectable even with my higher-impedance headphones. Additionally, the noise seemed to be getting worse with IEMs, to the point where it was distracting from music enjoyment. Finally, when I return to the Asus, its warmer sound just comes across a lot more natural and pleasant.

It's simply unacceptable that a card at this price range can't perform its basic function (output sound without interference), especially when a nearly 10 year old card can do this just fine. Sure, maybe its just my specific card, but it's not worth the hassle of going back and forth with support and risking the loss of the return window. Very disappointing.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 2:02 AM Post #86 of 110
I decided to return the card. I began to notice that the static/interference noise was detectable even with my higher-impedance headphones. Additionally, the noise seemed to be getting worse with IEMs, to the point where it was distracting from music enjoyment. Finally, when I return to the Asus, its warmer sound just comes across a lot more natural and pleasant.

It's simply unacceptable that a card at this price range can't perform its basic function (output sound without interference), especially when a nearly 10 year old card can do this just fine. Sure, maybe its just my specific card, but it's not worth the hassle of going back and forth with support and risking the loss of the return window. Very disappointing.

I had the same problem and returned my card, too. Now I am in the decision between the Soundblaster AE 9, an Asus Soundcard, or even an external USB ASudio solution...

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #88 of 110
An opamp design like the ZXR, with dual I/V opamps with dual single buffers would yeld a better stereo separation and more detailed sound.
Search ZXR vs STX for my comparison, the ZXR has the best stereo separation hands down.
Im torn between Nu audio pro and the creative AE9.
Wish they have used burr-brown dac instead...
Why Burrbrown?

Mar 22, 2020 at 9:15 AM Post #89 of 110
I bought this card (the new Pro version) and really like it except for one big disappointment. I bought it to replace my Asus Xonar Essence ST. The Asus was perfect for me except for its dangerous random high pitched screeches that would happen. I got fed up with that problem and looked for a card to replace it with equal sound quality and features. In particular, other audiophile sound cards I tried did not have the necessary feature to switch between headphones and speakers in the software. The Asus did this perfectly and I did not want to have to physically turn off my speakers every time I switched to headphones. If I have headphones on, why would I want the same sound to be coming out of the speakers? (The Claro Halo had this problem, and its sound quality was clearly inferior to the Asus).

The Nu Audio Pro sounds great. It is more neutral and detailed than the Asus, with a wider soundstage, and better extension on both ends. I was excited to play around with opamps to try and fill out the midrange a bit more and maybe make it slightly warmer. It also has the ability to easily switch between headphones and speakers in the software. And it doesn't make me anxious that it's going to explode into a deafening screech at any moment when I play another Youtube video.

The disappointment with it is that with sensitive IEMs it does not provide a quiet background. The card is marketed with the feature to adjust the output impedance, making it suitable for IEMs. But no matter the settings, with IEMs there is not a quiet background; the Windows environment produces random static-y interference. Even if I set the volume to zero with no sounds playing, if I move the mouse around in Windows, I can hear noise through the headphones that matches my mouse movements. It's less of a bother with music playing but if I pay attention I can still hear the interference for sure as I am doing work. If I switch the output to the Asus (I have both still installed in my PC), the background is black and I do not get any interference from simply moving the mouse or doing tasks in Windows. So I do not think it is my specific case or PC environment that is causing this--it is something with the Nu Audio card itself.

This problem isn't detectable with speakers, or when I use my full-size headphones, which is why I am probably going to keep the card. Still, for $199 and a card that specifically markets itself as being suitable for headphones of any sensitivity, it's disappointing that it can't produce a clean output with IEMs. And really, what this means is that it's not truly producing a clean output period--it just isn't detectable, at least with the other equipment I have.
I was thinking of getting this card, i don't know now. What are other equal alternatives?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back