Introducing the EVGA NU Audio Pro Cards - Ascend From Lifelike Audio to 7.1 Heaven
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:05 PM Post #61 of 110
I have to say, EVGA should be using USPS to ship to Canada. They use UPS, which is highway robbery. I had to pay UPS 49.93 in duty and import fees this morning. After conversion and this rip off, this sound card has now cost me 378 dollars. What a joke of a price when I preordered this card. I am not impressed at all. People in the USA are very lucky only paying 250 on their preorders. Canadians are just completely slapped in the face when buying anything today.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #62 of 110
I have to say, EVGA should be using USPS to ship to Canada. They use UPS, which is highway robbery. I had to pay UPS 49.93 in duty and import fees this morning. After conversion and this rip off, this sound card has now cost me 378 dollars. What a joke of a price when I preordered this card. I am not impressed at all. People in the USA are very lucky only paying 250 on their preorders. Canadians are just completely slapped in the face when buying anything today.
That's ridiculous

Dec 19, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #64 of 110
I won't be buying anything direct from EVGA again. I am rather ****in annoyed.
Would USPS have changed those fees, tho?

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #65 of 110
No, items that are shipped with USPS are handed over to Canada Post once they hit Canada. There is usually no extra cost other than Canada Post charging a 9.95 handling fee.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:25 PM Post #66 of 110
I ended up installing the Nu Audio Pro 7.1 a couple hours ago. First impressions, this card is a straight up audio upgrade across the board from the Creative ZXR. Vocals, imaging, treble extension and detail, dynamics, bass response and definition, presentation and placement of instruments, and soundstage are all improved. This card is exactly what neutral should sound like. There is no sibilance in the upper frequencies. Everything that is present in the recording is completely exposed and revealed with precision. One thing about this card, is there is less bass than the ZXR, but it far tighter, faster, and defined in its presentation on the EVGA card.

The Burr Brown PCM1794 and PCM1798 DAC chips on the ZXR are well known for being a bit on the warmer side in terms of sound signature. They are a bit excessive in the bass department. The AKM 4493 DAC chips on the Nu Audio 7.1 Pro card are just flat out better in every way. This is to be expected though. I installed the V6 Vivid dual opamps in the card, just as they were in the ZXR card, so the comparison is completely fair. Although I am pissed off that UPS charged me 50 dollars duty and brokerage fees to hand me over this card, which is highway robbery, it is definitely the best sounding sound card I have ever had to date.

I just want to say to EVGA that you guys need to start using USPS for Canadian buyers. UPS is a complete rip off. I recommend this sound card highly, but not to anyone outside of the USA.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #67 of 110
I ended up installing the Nu Audio Pro 7.1 a couple hours ago. First impressions, this card is a straight up audio upgrade across the board from the Creative ZXR. Vocals, imaging, treble extension and detail, dynamics, bass response and definition, presentation and placement of instruments, and soundstage are all improved. This card is exactly what neutral should sound like. There is no sibilance in the upper frequencies. Everything that is present in the recording is completely exposed and revealed with precision. One thing about this card, is there is less bass than the ZXR, but it far tighter, faster, and defined in its presentation on the EVGA card.

The Burr Brown PCM1794 and PCM1798 DAC chips on the ZXR are well known for being a bit on the warmer side in terms of sound signature. They are a bit excessive in the bass department. The AKM 4493 DAC chips on the Nu Audio 7.1 Pro card are just flat out better in every way. This is to be expected though. I installed the V6 Vivid dual opamps in the card, just as they were in the ZXR card, so the comparison is completely fair. Although I am pissed off that UPS charged me 50 dollars duty and brokerage fees to hand me over this card, which is highway robbery, it is definitely the best sounding sound card I have ever had to date.

I just want to say to EVGA that you guys need to start using USPS for Canadian buyers. UPS is a complete rip off. I recommend this sound card highly, but not to anyone outside of the USA.
Your government charged you not UPS.

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #68 of 110
The point is, with USPS, there is only a 9.95 charge when it is picked up by Canada Post and that is it. It is far cheaper. Also, in the breakdown of charges with UPS, they add additional fees, such as a gas charge.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #69 of 110
Back to this card, hey Lee M, what is the current firmware available ? When I installed the card, I immediately got a pop up that a new firmware was required. However, when it went to update, it said the firmware failed to update. After installing the drivers, it says I currently have firmware version 1.0 on the card. Is this the latest ?

Dec 23, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #70 of 110
Any idea when a new driver is going to be released ? The driver you guys have available is broken, and now I have no sound. I have the same issue that many other non Pro Nu Audio owners have. On start up I get the "evga nu audio pro init error". I am not too impressed with this card thus far. The drivers are complete garbage. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall 6 times now, and the same damn error comes up on start up. I see on the EVGA forum that tons of other people have the same issue. When is this getting fixed ?

Dec 23, 2019 at 12:35 PM Post #71 of 110
Any idea when a new driver is going to be released ? The driver you guys have available is broken, and now I have no sound. I have the same issue that many other non Pro Nu Audio owners have. On start up I get the "evga nu audio pro init error". I am not too impressed with this card thus far. The drivers are complete garbage. I have attempted to uninstall and reinstall 6 times now, and the same damn error comes up on start up. I see on the EVGA forum that tons of other people have the same issue. When is this getting fixed ?
I've seen a couple people report that, although I haven't experienced that here. Let me see if I can get an update for this problem by end of today.

Dec 24, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #72 of 110
I decided to edit my comments. The first card I received ended up being defective. The analog section on the card was faulty. EVGA gave me a cross ship for RMA and replacement. Their customer service was excellent. I returned the defective one, and received a brand new card a couple days ago. This one is perfect, and has no issues. I replaced all the opamps with Burson Audio V6 Vivid opamps, and the sound quality is just excellent. I highly recommend this sound card paired with these opamps. This is the best sound card currently available. The AKM 4493 DAC chips are excellent, and the V6 Vivid opamps are superb when used in the sound card.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #73 of 110
I decided to edit my comments. The first card I received ended up being defective. The analog section on the card was faulty. EVGA gave me a cross ship for RMA and replacement. Their customer service was excellent. I returned the defective one, and received a brand new card a couple days ago. This one is perfect, and has no issues. I replaced all the opamps with Burson Audio V6 Vivid opamps, and the sound quality is just excellent. I highly recommend this sound card paired with these opamps. This is the best sound card currently available. The AKM 4493 DAC chips are excellent, and the V6 Vivid opamps are superb when used in the sound card.

Could you share some infos and pictures? I‘m planning to buy a Nu audio pro card and I ask myself if I should upgrade the op amps. Do you use the card without the emi shield with your new opamps?

Any news about reviews of the nu audio pro card?

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #74 of 110
I ended up using the Burson Audio V6 Vivids first, but I ended up changing them all out to my LME49720HA metal cans on adapters instead. Yes, you will need to take off the shield on both cards to be able to use these opamps as well.

The reason I ended up going with the metal cans is because the AKM 4493 is a rather neutral sounding DAC chip. The LME49720HA is also neutral in its signature. This combination makes for an excellent sound. The soundstage, detail retrieval, bass tightness, and imaging is just fantastic.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:03 AM Post #75 of 110
I ended up using the Burson Audio V6 Vivids first, but I ended up changing them all out to my LME49720HA metal cans on adapters instead. Yes, you will need to take off the shield on both cards to be able to use these opamps as well.

The reason I ended up going with the metal cans is because the AKM 4493 is a rather neutral sounding DAC chip. The LME49720HA is also neutral in its signature. This combination makes for an excellent sound. The soundstage, detail retrieval, bass tightness, and imaging is just fantastic.
Must sound awesome :wink: how many LME49720HA did you use for this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back