Introducing the Audeze MM-500!
Jun 5, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #76 of 472
Going with miceblue tomorrow again to the Show. Will check it out again.

Awesome! I regret that I seem to have given you your 666th like for this post and your duty to the cause. And for hanging out with miceblue.

I'm most curious about the midrange tuning for this new model and their new MM series headphone(s). Is the midrange tuned with a Harmanish target like the LCD-5 or HiFiMan Arya, or is it tuned more like the traditional Audeze target like the LCD-2/LCD-X.

Jun 5, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #77 of 472
Was at NAMM Show yesterday, spoke with a few members of the Audeze team about the MM 500.

Few details about the new MM 500 they shared with me. The MM 500 is single sided like the LCD-5 but the diaphragm, magnet structure and trace are different. The MM 500 uses the diaphragm of the LCD-X.

I asked if the MM 500 was like how the MX4 was like a combo of the LCD-X and LCD-4, was the MM 500 like a combo LCD-X and LCD-5 and they said no. The MM 500 is not attempting to fuse existing Audeze headphones but it was brought about with Manny's input.

They had a few pairs ready to demo at their booth with a few different setups. They also brought in a soundproof booth and inside was the MM 500/LCD-5 being powered off the Weiss DAC502. Plus the Crbn was in the booth as well.

dCvBHxK.jpg

o8hz6Gn.jpg

Few pics I took with the MM 500 next to the LCD-5. Headband is metal and the cups is machined aluminum on the MM 500. Also solid leather vs the leather plus holes in the LCD-5.

Pads are indeed different from the LCD-5 pads. The LCD-5 needs a perfect seal whereas the MM 500 pads were chosen to maximize surface area. Sankar said the rationale was in a pro audio environment, the seal needs to be quick and consistent. Since the LCD-5 and MM 500 are a different size cup compared to existing LCD lineup, the pads on the MM 500 are little different from the other LCD pads but going from memory, resembled the LCD-X 2021 pads just resized.

y1hTyXH.jpg

And the soundproof booth with Manny inside rocking the MM 500.

Going with miceblue tomorrow again to the Show. Will check it out again.
You answered my questions. Seems it uses a metal headband. Now to see if I can get one for the LCD5 eventually. :)

Jun 5, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #78 of 472
The LCD-5 needs a perfect seal whereas the MM 500 pads were chosen to maximize surface area. Sankar said the rationale was in a pro audio environment, the seal needs to be quick and consistent.
Sounds like they both require complete seals? Or a quick seal is an incomplete one?

Jun 5, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #79 of 472
I'm attending the NAMM show tomorrow. I'll probably stop by the Audeze booth if they're not too busy and give the MM-500 a listen seeing as I'm really enjoying my 2021 LCD-X at home right now.
Looking forward to your impressions if you get an opportunity to audition!

Jun 5, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #80 of 472
Wow, if Manny Marroquin is putting his name on these, I have hopes for these :eyes:. Excited to see impressions coming in.

Jun 5, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #81 of 472
No LCD headphone ever will have anything other than flat bass, MM-500 included. if you're hoping this headphone has a bass shelf, you will be disappointed.

If it does some how have a bass shelf, I'll eat my hat.
That sounds right. We can always add Reveal for that tuned curve experience. Very curious to see what the analog/acoustic MM tuning is.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 7:42 PM Post #82 of 472
I think the lighter weight is a big step in the right direction.

Jun 5, 2022 at 9:12 PM Post #84 of 472
Jun 6, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #86 of 472
Wonder what’s next in the MM series lineup. Maybe a flagship with the ultra thin driver? A closed back?
Since I predicted this would be Audeze's next headphone last year, I will make another prediction: The next headphone will be the MM-5(00)C. C for closed back. Basically the MM-500, but with a tuned closed cup. I'm also betting it will be significantly more expensive than the open MM-500, since it won't be as cheap or easy to just screw on a back like the LCD XC.

Either that or refresh of the Mobius/ gaming head phone. But I wouldn't bet on it being in the MM line up.

Jun 6, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #87 of 472
Since I predicted this would be Audeze's next headphone last year, I will make another prediction: The next headphone will be the MM-5(00)C. C for closed back. Basically the MM-500, but with a tuned closed cup. I'm also betting it will be significantly more expensive than the open MM-500, since it won't be as cheap or easy to just screw on a back like the LCD XC.

Either that or refresh of the Mobius/ gaming head phone. But I wouldn't bet on it being in the MM line up.
Yeah. $299 more and extra 90 grams. Calling it now.

Jun 6, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #88 of 472
I imagine those of us with high output impedance OTL tube amps are out of luck due to MM having low, 18 ohm impedance, although not sure that principle always holds true with planars. Thoughts from others who have experience with planars on OTL's would be welcomed!
I own a LCD-X: 2016 vintage: 20 ohms. The only OTL tube h/p/a which I own that the LCD-X, despite its efficiency/sensitivity, can work with are the Linear Tube Audio ZOTL MZ3 and the Schiit Valhalla 2. These have low respective output impedances of 2.0 ohms and 3.5 ohms (V2 low-gain setting).

Postscript: I also own the LCD-4 which is less efficient/sensitive than the LCD-X and which has a 200 ohm nominal impedance! It sounds great with the Woo WA2 (RFT EZ81, TS 5998, RFT ECC81 per channel)!

Jun 6, 2022 at 2:38 AM Post #89 of 472
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back