Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Oct 20, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,231 of 1,636
Thanks for that write up. I'm keeping my LCD-R, but have been debating if I should trade in my LCD-4 for an LCD-5. My main concern being that the LCD-5 might be too detailed for some older live rock recordings I like. Sounds like with proper EQ, the LCD-5 should be fine.
I've had no issue with older live rock tracks on the LCD-5. Then again, led Zeppelin and the eagles are the only live rock I regularly listen to, and they have great live recordings.

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #1,232 of 1,636
After over a week of listening only to the LCD-5 and tuning the EQ to my preferences, I think I can finally wrap my head around how the LCD-R compares to the LCD-5. I initially gave my impressions on how the LCD-5 compares to the LCD-R in terms of bass; I did this first since the lower frequencies are always easier to accurately compare.

So how does the LCD-R stack up against the LCD-5? In my opinion (after tuning the EQ on both cans just right), the LCD-5 does everything the LCD-R can do, but better. The differences seem to be primarily in frequency response and amplification. Both headphones are extremely fast and detailed, but the LCD-5 is a bit faster and more detailed. Both headphones have great bass, but the LCD-5 has better bass. Both headphones are very dynamic and holographic, but the LCD-5 is a bit more dynamic and holographic.

Vocals (and general smoothness) were the main aspects where the LCD-R gave the LCD-5 a bit more competition. I actually used the LCD-R as a reference for EQ to see if I could tune the LCD-5 to the same "flavor" the LCD-R has. After several hours of back and forth listening, I feel like I finally found an EQ profile that satisfies me.

So where does that leave my opinions? Well, without EQ, the LCD-R is a more smooth, more musical headphone with the best, by far, vocals I have ever heard. The LCD-5 is more mid forward, but has a dynamic presentation that is immediately noticeable and bass that can almost be felt. I find that without a proper EQ setup, I prefer the LCD-R on older rock and live music, while the LCD-5 sounds better for electronic and pop music. There would be no way I could get rid of either.

After figuring out the EQ, I can't really find any music I prefer to listen to on the LCD-R. When I factor in the weight of the LCD-R, it's low choice in amplification, the chance that the pads will break in and the fazors will touch my ears, I can't really find a reason to listen to / keep them. Even after going back to only the LCD-5, I found a song I wanted to compare the LCD-R to. After a very short listen, it was apparent that the LCD-5 played the song better (to my ears) in just about every metric. In the coming days, I will (almost reluctantly!) be putting my LCD-R up for sale so I can further invest in the amplification for my LCD-5.

20211019_130405.jpg
Care to share the EQ?

Oct 20, 2021 at 3:53 PM Post #1,233 of 1,636
I've had no issue with older live rock tracks on the LCD-5. Then again, led Zeppelin and the eagles are the only live rock I regularly listen to, and they have great live recordings.

Your write up is excellent and along the lines of what I expected. There is a reason Audeze positions the LCD-5 as their flagship. In addition to the other benefits (lighter, easier to drive) I'm sure it had to at least equal the performance of the -R. Having said this, it underscores the inherent value of the LCD-R especially given that it is supplied with an amp for almost half the price!

Although the Jot-A continues to grow on me when warmed up, I definitely get better results (less bright, more bass texture and a more 3D presentation) when I connect the -R to the speaker taps of a Magnum Dynalab MD209 via an ifiAudio iESL. The results are similar with two different Audeze headphone cables (Moon Audio Black Dragon and a custom cable) so I'm fairly sure the main differentiator is the amp. The only downside is that I also get a bit more noise presumably resulting from the tubes in the preamp section and high gain of the amp section.

I'm still hesitant to try the Dekoni pads since there is no way to switch back and forth for a proper comparison.

Definitely keeping the LCD-R, but might add the LCD-5 to the stable at some point.

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,234 of 1,636
Your write up is excellent and along the lines of what I expected. There is a reason Audeze positions the LCD-5 as their flagship. In addition to the other benefits (lighter, easier to drive) I'm sure it had to at least equal the performance of the -R. Having said this, it underscores the inherent value of the LCD-R especially given that it is supplied with an amp for almost half the price!

Although the Jot-A continues to grow on me when warmed up, I definitely get better results (less bright, more bass texture and a more 3D presentation) when I connect the -R to the speaker taps of a Magnum Dynalab MD209 via an ifiAudio iESL. The results are similar with two different Audeze headphone cables (Moon Audio Black Dragon and a custom cable) so I'm fairly sure the main differentiator is the amp. The only downside is that I also get a bit more noise presumably resulting from the tubes in the preamp section and high gain of the amp section.

I'm still hesitant to try the Dekoni pads since there is no way to switch back and forth for a proper comparison.

Definitely keeping the LCD-R, but might add the LCD-5 to the stable at some point.
Thanks! you might want to add some form of attenuation resistance to the speaker taps to get rid of the noise. But yes, using the LCD-R off a speaker really shows what they are truly capable of.

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #1,236 of 1,636
Oct 24, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #1,237 of 1,636
:unamused:

I always take anything on SBAF with a grain of salt. Not exactly known for their unbiased opinions...
I had the LCD-X, and currently own the LCD-MX4, and neither are anywhere close to the LCD-R in terms of tonality, detail, speed and vocal clarity. But different strokes for different folks.

Oct 24, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #1,238 of 1,636
:unamused:

I always take anything on SBAF with a grain of salt. Not exactly known for their unbiased opinions...
To be fair, he's been around quite a long time and is at least fair despite politics.

Nov 18, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #1,240 of 1,636
So, uh, who got the LCD-R B-stock that was on the audeze holiday sale? :eyes:

Also, I've been listening to these a lot more now that I've gotten settle in after moving. I played around with EQing the 4-5k dip and it is difficult to go back. Toggling the EQ off feels like I am dunking my head underwater or like I've been transported to an adjacent room. Of course, after a few minutes of listening with the EQ off, it sounds relatively normal again. However, it does remind me of how I felt when I initially tried out a pair for LCD Xs and compared it to my Aeon 2 Closed.

Anyway, with the EQ, these really sound quite a bit more open and airy. Much more engaging for me as well. Without EQ, these are still quite engaging but feel a lot more laid back. In some ways, it is kinda neat to have 2 headphones in one (I suppose one could have as many EQ profiles as they want) but I am not sure how I feel about EQ still. I'd rather just not have to think about it and enjoy the headphones. Still gonna give it more time before I consider parting with these, though.

Anyone else running EQ with these? If so, please share your EQ profile so I can give it a go. Thanks!

Here is mine:
3.7k +3db Q 1.3
5.0k +3.5db Q 2.5

Tried adding a bass shelf but wasn't to my liking. Also tried Rubin's EQ but wasn't fond of that either.

Nov 18, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #1,241 of 1,636
Are you using the filter on the Jot-A in conjunction or everything off except those? I've just been using Reveal+ with LCD-X ('21) settings. Around 60-70% of the EQ and around 4-6 on the HRTF strength. 0-6 on ambiance. Usually 0 on ambiance unless I'm just lazy listening and I add a-little-bit of 'room' in.

I think I was using @Rubin eq setting as an alternative also. They are posted in here somewhere.

Someone got lucky with the b-stock pickup today. I absolutely love my LCD-R. It has been a long time since anything has continually impressed me use after use as much as the 'R'

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #1,242 of 1,636
I've just been using Reveal+ with LCD-X ('21) settings
Would you be willing to (ahem) reveal what that profile is? I do not have Reveal+.

Are you using the filter on the Jot-A in conjunction or everything off except those?
Not using the bass boost on the Jot-A, just the correction for the 5k dip.

Nov 18, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #1,243 of 1,636
Would you be willing to (ahem) reveal what that profile is? I do not have Reveal+.

Not using the bass boost on the Jot-A, just the correction for the 5k dip.
Audeze doesn’t disclose the EQ settings within the Reveal plugin unfortunately.

Nov 18, 2021 at 8:53 PM Post #1,244 of 1,636

Also, I've been listening to these a lot more now that I've gotten settle in after moving. I played around with EQing the 4-5k dip and it is difficult to go back. Toggling the EQ off feels like I am dunking my head underwater or like I've been transported to an adjacent room. Of course, after a few minutes of listening with the EQ off, it sounds relatively normal again. However, it does remind me of how I felt when I initially tried out a pair for LCD Xs and compared it to my Aeon 2 Closed.

Anyway, with the EQ, these really sound quite a bit more open and airy. Much more engaging for me as well. Without EQ, these are still quite engaging but feel a lot more laid back. In some ways, it is kinda neat to have 2 headphones in one (I suppose one could have as many EQ profiles as they want) but I am not sure how I feel about EQ still. I'd rather just not have to think about it and enjoy the headphones. Still gonna give it more time before I consider parting with these, though.

Anyone else running EQ with these? If so, please share your EQ profile so I can give it a go. Thanks!

Here is mine:
3.7k +3db Q 1.3
5.0k +3.5db Q 2.5

Tried adding a bass shelf but wasn't to my liking. Also tried Rubin's EQ but wasn't fond of that either.
I usually don't mess with EQ, but these coincided with the Lokius coming out and I thought they'd make a nice combo. Turns out I was right.

Nov 19, 2021 at 12:45 AM Post #1,245 of 1,636

Here is mine:
3.7k +3db Q 1.3
5.0k +3.5db Q 2.5

me lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back