Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Sep 20, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,126 of 1,636
Would love to hear your thoughts about the LCD-R performance with the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads. Did it actually improve any area of the LCD-R performance; did it make anything worse?
I found the Dekoni pads to add a little bit of lower end to fill out the sound and give it a more organic quality. The bass is tight, controlled, and plentiful with the original pads but (to me) the sound seems to lack a bass presence...it's so fast, it feels as if bass doesn't contribute enough to the rest of the sound. With the additional ear-space in the Dekoni pads, some of those reflected wave persist and fill out the bass enough (to my ears, YMMV) to sound more organic.
The speed is not diminished. The detail does appear to have receded slightly (not talking recessed) which may be due to me not removing the earpad fabric now covering the fazors. Perhaps removing the fabric would allow the detail to be brought forward. I just didn't feel the need to try the mod. IMHO, the pads provide more comfort and they do change the sound signature slightly. Again, IMHO, for the better...but YMMV.
Cheers and All the Best!:beerchug:
-HK sends

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #1,127 of 1,636
I found the Dekoni pads to add a little bit of lower end to fill out the sound and give it a more organic quality. The bass is tight, controlled, and plentiful with the original pads but (to me) the sound seems to lack a bass presence...it's so fast, it feels as if bass doesn't contribute enough to the rest of the sound. With the additional ear-space in the Dekoni pads, some of those reflected wave persist and fill out the bass enough (to my ears, YMMV) to sound more organic.
The speed is not diminished. The detail does appear to have receded slightly (not talking recessed) which may be due to me not removing the earpad fabric now covering the fazors. Perhaps removing the fabric would allow the detail to be brought forward. I just didn't feel the need to try the mod. IMHO, the pads provide more comfort and they do change the sound signature slightly. Again, IMHO, for the better...but YMMV.
-HK sends
Thanks for the detailed impressions ... That was very helpful and exactly what I wanted to hear!

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #1,129 of 1,636
-HK sends
Ugh what I didn’t want to hear! I should have done this lol!

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,130 of 1,636
I know a couple posts were asking about the differences between LCD-R and LCD-5 - You all still need to remember that the CRBN, LCD-5, LCD-R are three different technologies. The "R" part in the LCD-R is still pretty important in how it performs. It isn't about upgrade/downgrade, but more about presentation. All three will offer resolution that companies were charging 6K or 60K for previously. I know a certain person will get all nutty about his TC, but it isn't even a normal headphone - compare it with a Jecklin Float or something.

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #1,133 of 1,636
I love both! Audeze's engineers have certainly been busy this past summer! I have posted some initial impressions on the LCD-5 thread. But again, for under $3000, I can't think of a better headphone to recommend over the LCD-R....and you get a great amplifier thrown in. I hope Audeze will revisit this sometime in the future and makes them limited runs from time to time. Kinda like the McRib. :p

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,134 of 1,636
Now that Audeze has released two headphones since the LCD-R was released in July, they might already be considered vintage, LOL! Lot's of action in the headphone world these days. What a time to be alive!
Considering the new designs of the Carbon and LCD-5, the LCD-R's could very well be the last model that uses the classic Audeze look.

Sep 20, 2021 at 10:23 PM Post #1,135 of 1,636
Considering the new designs of the Carbon and LCD-5, the LCD-R's could very well be the last model that uses the classic Audeze look.
Ha, you are not wrong!

Sep 21, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,136 of 1,636
Sep 21, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,137 of 1,636
What’s everyone’s thoughts about the design? I’m not feeling the faux wood rings on these :-/

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #1,138 of 1,636
The design looks great to me although I'm sure some will prefer an all black finish.

@Currawong I'm really looking forward to seeing comparisons with the LCD-R. Something tells me the comparison will be closer than expected especially with a better amp than the Jot-A.

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #1,139 of 1,636
What’s everyone’s thoughts about the design? I’m not feeling the faux wood rings on these :-/
I’m not sure yet. I would have to see it in person.

That being said, if it looks anywhere near as nice as the LCD-R, we are in good shape

Sep 21, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #1,140 of 1,636
I’m not sure yet. I would have to see it in person.

That being said, if it looks anywhere near as nice as the LCD-R, we are in good shape
My main concern is the rings being made of acetate, not a fan when used on glasses, afraid it might give off the same look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back