Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Sep 20, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,111 of 1,636
The new LCD-5 pads look nice! I'm hoping they will eventually be an available accessory to purchase. Let's hope they fit!

audeze-lcd-5-earcups-closeup.jpg

Photo credit: ecoustics

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #1,112 of 1,636
The new LCD-5 pads look nice! I'm hoping they will eventually be an available accessory to purchase. Let's hope they fit!

audeze-lcd-5-earcups-closeup.jpg

Photo credit: ecoustics
Very nice... they look like they took a bit out of the Abyss playbook on these.

Sep 20, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #1,113 of 1,636
Very nice... they look like they took a bit out of the Abyss playbook on these.
With the slight exception that these pads don't look handmade!

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #1,115 of 1,636
Thank you for replying and confirming. I'm checking the website daily for the Reveal+ updates :wink:

P.S. LCD-5 looks awesome. You'll never please everyone, but being comfortable while having that level of resolution will make people very happy. It's the only complaint anyone in this LCD-R thread has.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #1,116 of 1,636
Thank you for replying and confirming. I'm checking the website daily for the Reveal+ updates :wink:

P.S. LCD-5 looks awesome. You'll never please everyone, but being comfortable while having that level of resolution will make people very happy. It's the only complaint anyone in this LCD-R thread has.
With LCD-5 we we went for low profile Fazor that does not touch the ears and improves long term comfort.

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #1,117 of 1,636
With LCD-5 we we went for low profile Fazor that does not touch the ears and improves long term comfort.

Sinc the 5 has now been announced can you comment more on the tech in the LCD-R? I assume it came uo during driver development for the 5, but does it use the same magnet tech as covered in your new pattent for the 5?

Sep 20, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #1,118 of 1,636
They do not fit other LCD headphones.

Can you guys say anything about how the sound compares to the CRBN?

Which one has the bigger soundstage?
Which one is brighter?
Which one has more Bass?

And anything you'd like to add

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #1,119 of 1,636
Sinc the 5 has now been announced can you comment more on the tech in the LCD-R? I assume it came uo during driver development for the 5, but does it use the same magnet tech as covered in your new pattent for the 5?
You are right LCD-R had some trickle down technology that came from LCD-5. They both use the similar Parallel Uniforce traces. They both use larger spacing between magnets resulting in a more open sound and they both take the 'less is more' approach and do away with the acoustically transparent cloth on the side facing the ear (but since LCD-5 diaphragm is far more thin, we used a special mesh for protection). However the magnetic circuit is different because of the different size of the drivers and LCD-5 magnetic circuit design and earpad design reduce reflections beyond what LCD-R has as we had the luxury of redesigning every aspect of LCD-5.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,120 of 1,636
You are right LCD-R had some trickle down technology that came from LCD-5. They both use the similar Parallel Uniforce traces. They both use larger spacing between magnets resulting in a more open sound and they both take the 'less is more' approach and do away with the acoustically transparent cloth on the side facing the ear (but since LCD-5 diaphragm is far more thin, we used a special mesh for protection). However the magnetic circuit is different because of the different size of the drivers and LCD-5 magnetic circuit design and earpad design reduce reflections beyond what LCD-R has as we had the luxury of redesigning every aspect of LCD-5.
Thanks for the informing us on more of the back story of the LCD-R!

Would you be able to give us an impression of the power handling of the LCD-R? If it is using a beefier trace than the LCD-5 in order to have the low impedance, does that mean it also has a similar or greater 5 watt power handling capability?

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:10 PM Post #1,121 of 1,636
Can you guys say anything about how the sound compares to the CRBN?
These are very different headphones to match different tastes, so very hard to provide comparisons in terms of which one is better. Gun to my head I would find it hard to decide between the two. But I can answer some questions:
Which one has the bigger soundstage?
Compared to ;LCD-5 CRBN has a bigger and taller soundstage but a little diffuse, this is expected due to the larger diaphragm. LCD-5 sounds more open than any of our other LCD line of headphones but provides a much more focused and clearer image.
Which one is brighter?
I would not call either of them bright, both are great for long term fatigue free listening, but because of the way LCD-5 presents the sound, CRBN sounds a bit more relaxed in the treble than LCD-5

Which one has more Bass?
If you look at the measurements both have very similar bass extension, for a electrostat CRBN has good 'slam' but LCD-5 has the edge here.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,122 of 1,636

Thats super cool! A paper covering the technology was mentioned in the interview with jude so I'm super excited to tuck into that later.

If I am honest the most stand out feature of the LCD-R to me is the fantastic timbre (something I've yet to experience in any headphone at all besides raal). Do you guys feel the LCD-5 has this quality to the same level the LCD-R does?

Also, I happen to be fairly local. Do you have a demo room/show room that is open to the public currently? Completely understand if not given the current happenings obviously.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #1,123 of 1,636
These are very different headphones to match different tastes, so very hard to provide comparisons in terms of which one is better. Gun to my head I would find it hard to decide between the two. But I can answer some questions:

Compared to ;LCD-5 CRBN has a bigger and taller soundstage but a little diffuse, this is expected due to the larger diaphragm. LCD-5 sounds more open than any of our other LCD line of headphones but provides a much more focused and clearer image.

I would not call either of them bright, both are great for long term fatigue free listening, but because of the way LCD-5 presents the sound, CRBN sounds a bit more relaxed in the treble than LCD-5

If you look at the measurements both have very similar bass extension, for a electrostat CRBN has good 'slam' but LCD-5 has the edge here.
Thank you, that was sufficient for me to know which one fits better into my line up.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,124 of 1,636
Would love to hear your thoughts about the LCD-R performance with the Dekoni Elite Sheepskin pads. Did it actually improve any area of the LCD-R performance; did it make anything worse?

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #1,125 of 1,636
Now that Audeze has released two headphones since the LCD-R was released in July, they might already be considered vintage, LOL! Lot's of action in the headphone world these days. What a time to be alive!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back