Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 18, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #871 of 1,636
Hopefully we can keep a thread active with only 67 headphones in the world. Where is that HE90 Orpheus thread again?
On the graveyard or how that place is called

Aug 18, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #872 of 1,636
“Back to the LCD-R” - yes please!

Mine sounds like it is breaking in to get even better. I can’t say I have thrown anything at it that didn’t make me want to listen deeper. This are some tough cans to multi-task with because they demand all the attention - that’s a good thing!

I’m still listening on the stock pads and just dealing with the fazors on my ears. The sound is so good the discomfort disappears for a bit. When I realize the back of my ears need some relief I push the headphones forward. I can go 20 to 30 minutes before realizing my ears would like some breathing room again.

Horns and string-heavy songs have been my favorite listens. Chord Qutest > Topping D90 for my favorite DAC pairing. Haven’t tried any other DACs at the house yet. Would be simple enough to throw the Shanling M8 on. This setup is in one end of the house while another is on the other and I’m lazy. Actually, the truth is, I’m happy with the noise this thing makes as is and haven’t felt the need to experiment more.
I have a D90…maybe I asked you this before…but I still haven’t decided on if I was going to get a Qutest…is it worth picking up if you have a D90?

Aug 18, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #873 of 1,636
I have a D90…maybe I asked you this before…but I still haven’t decided on if I was going to get a Qutest…is it worth picking up if you have a D90?
As all things go: it depends on what you listen to. They bring different sounds to the same things. I find the Qutest to be a lot of fun for rock, live, and EDM. Not so great for rap. It is more forgiving to older recordings though. Some old crowd-sourced Grateful Dead live recordings are far better on the Qutest than D90 for an extreme example.

The D90 is no slouch and I find it paired with a Liquid Platinum to be its own nirvana. With the LCD-R both are great, but I like the Qutest more.

Aug 19, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #874 of 1,636
Just been thinking about how the frequency response dip corresponds to the pad opening height of 6.5 cm and how the R pads have no fabric screen to protect the ears from the fazors. Has anyone tried the Rs with the new leather pads that might help with both these problems?

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #875 of 1,636
Just been thinking about how the frequency response dip corresponds to the pad opening height of 6.5 cm and how the R pads have no fabric screen to protect the ears from the fazors. Has anyone tried the Rs with the new leather pads that might help with both these problems?
With the FR being so enjoyable, I am not sure if anyone is willing to mess it up and have to bin the stock pads just to test it out at this point. 🤷‍♂️

On a different note, I am surprised that the ebay listing for one of these is not going for more. Less than 24h left. Not going to link because obvious scalper is obvious. Won't be surprised when it gets pulled before the end of the auction.

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:51 PM Post #876 of 1,636
Aug 21, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #877 of 1,636
Just as an FYI, I contacted Rivera and they say the aic-10 should be able to handle a constant 2 ohm load

Edit: I have been told the combo is glorious btw. Also some reported success using them directly out of the wa8 for a wierd portable setup. Unfortunateky i have neither to he able to confirm

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #883 of 1,636
Aug 24, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #885 of 1,636
I got my 230V set last week. I'm using it with a step down transformer. These are great headphones. I'm not quite ready to say they are better than my LCD-4s as they sound very different. I've also not yet compared them to my SR-009s, but the LCD-R are definitely in the top tier of headphones and are likely the price/performance winners in their class.

For me, I don't notice the fazor. I guess I got lucky with fit. The earpads are much softer and compress more than my LCD-4's pads. I'd think that the old LCD-4 ear pads might well solve a lot of the problems for people whose ears touch the fazors.

Now I want a second amp, so that I can use them in another room without having to unplug and move the Jot-A. Unfortunately, Schiit has never responded to any questions I've sent them. What's up with that? I've purchased things from them in the past, but I think I'll skip them going forward.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back