Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 12, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #796 of 1,636
Honestly, with taxes + the cost to ship and insure to the new owner $3k doesn't seem like too bad of an ask. I have no intention to sell mine but I can see why someone might sell it for that after the return period. During the return period it seems like it would be less hassle to just send it back to Audeze. With CA taxes and shipping you will probably net <$100.
Does that site take a percentage like ebay?

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #798 of 1,636
Decided to pull my ad after getting another negative response. The extra bucks isn't worth the negativity it is having on the community. My bad for creating such a fuss. Now deciding whether to return it or give them another shot. If I end up keeping them, I'll be the black sheep of the 67 owners. Makes sense, as my pair is lucky #13!

Aug 13, 2021 at 12:10 AM Post #799 of 1,636
Decided to pull my ad after getting another negative response. The extra bucks isn't worth the negativity it is having on the community. My bad for creating such a fuss. Now deciding whether to return it or give them another shot. If I end up keeping them, I'll be the black sheep of the 67 owners. Makes sense, as my pair is lucky #13!
Try using a bass boost and a 5k boost, if you have the means. May pleasantly surprise you!

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #800 of 1,636
Thanks for the advice about bass boost. For the musical genres I listen to, I find the bass response at default setting to be sufficient for my needs, so haven't even tried that option on the jot-a but will give it a try. After some reflection, I think I'm gonna give them another shot. What I find makes the LCD-R's special is there ability to extract emotion (totally subjective) from music, but it didn't differentiate itself from another headphone I own that has that quality (W3000ANV). The LCD-R's have better technicalities but trade-off is that they are less comfortable (weight, fazors). I will give them a fair shot though as I think I prematurely put them in a particular category, and will evaluate them based on their own merit.

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #801 of 1,636
You got negative PMs for selling the LCD-R?

Aug 13, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #802 of 1,636
It is also Friday the 13th today.

Aug 13, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #803 of 1,636
Thanks for the advice about bass boost. For the musical genres I listen to, I find the bass response at default setting to be sufficient for my needs, so haven't even tried that option on the jot-a but will give it a try. After some reflection, I think I'm gonna give them another shot. What I find makes the LCD-R's special is there ability to extract emotion (totally subjective) from music, but it didn't differentiate itself from another headphone I own that has that quality (W3000ANV). The LCD-R's have better technicalities but trade-off is that they are less comfortable (weight, fazors). I will give them a fair shot though as I think I prematurely put them in a particular category, and will evaluate them based on their own merit.
I would not use the Jot-A bass boost, it extends pretty far into the mids for my taste. It really just needs a boost below 100hz.

As for comparing the LCD-R to the ATH... I dunno man, if you can't find many comparisons between the two, you must be listening to some way different music than me! :)

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #805 of 1,636
the only negative about the R are those sharp fazor guards. it hurts your ears on long gaming sessions. a design defect that is in my opinion audeze should fix.
While I don’t want to say its a defect its at the very least a very curious design choice. They are pretty sharp and there is nothing in-between them and your ears, other LCDs have some material in there. Just in case anyone does decide to return them like I ended up doing the total cost will be about $110 once you add direct signature and insurance, this was through FedEx. Ended up being an expensive experiment on my part but at least I can say that I owned a pair if brief :sweat_smile:

Aug 13, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #807 of 1,636
I would not use the Jot-A bass boost, it extends pretty far into the mids for my taste. It really just needs a boost below 100hz.

As for comparing the LCD-R to the ATH... I dunno man, if you can't find many comparisons between the two, you must be listening to some way different music than me! :)

Was a very loose comparison (in terms of their abilities to draw out emotions), hence my desire to do a more focused assessment of the lcdr's. :)

Edit: just want to clarify, what I meant to say is that the LCD-R's emotionality remind me the most of the W3000ANV but with better technicalities; and thus, somewhat redundant/not differentiated enough in my collection. I'll have to do a side-by-side comparison at some point.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #808 of 1,636
I run it with the bass boost...wasn't expecting to...but it just brings everything inline for me. I think bass boost is the wrong word for it...there is some discussion in this thread a few pages back about what it does. I think there is even a chart.

Also...I think you're only getting negative comments because it just came out and you're in the return window. If it was two years from now I assume people would be less upset....but also they are yours and you can do with them whatever you want...it's really none of our business. That said...give them another chance...I can't see how anyone would get rid of these unless their head and ears were such that they were too uncomfortable to handle.

Aug 13, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #809 of 1,636
I run it with the bass boost...wasn't expecting to...but it just brings everything inline for me. I think bass boost is the wrong word for it...there is some discussion in this thread a few pages back about what it does. I think there is even a chart.
Yeah its more like a bass emphasis by making the mids and highs "less loud" or less dynamic. As someone who enjoys some detail up there I was surprised how much I enjoyed the bass mode.

Aug 13, 2021 at 1:07 PM Post #810 of 1,636
To close the loop on the mini-drama I created for myself, I've decided to keep the LCD-R's. After some PM's, comments here, and feedback from rhythmdevils (who really knows his orthos) about the design of these, I gave them some serious listening this morning and it was quite enjoyable. I did a simple thought experiment of how I would feel a year from now after selling them, and immediately my subconscious screamed "regret!" along with foresight of unfruitfully searching for another pair to reclaim the one that got away. The silver lining in all of this is that its slowed down by G.A.S./chasing after the next best thing, and helping me value what I already have. Thanks everyone!

While I don’t want to say its a defect its at the very least a very curious design choice. They are pretty sharp and there is nothing in-between them and your ears, other LCDs have some material in there. Just in case anyone does decide to return them like I ended up doing the total cost will be about $110 once you add direct signature and insurance, this was through FedEx. Ended up being an expensive experiment on my part but at least I can say that I owned a pair if brief :sweat_smile:

I've noticed the first 30 minutes is OK with regard to the fazors, but as the pads compress with them on, my ears start touching the fazor. I wonder if this could be remedied with a foam disc in between fazors and ears, or denser pads that don't compress as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back