Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 11, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #751 of 1,636
OK...so reading here something about using a pre-amp to adjust volume down...allowing the Jot A to have the volume turned up a bit. Is there any benefit to that? I have a D90 and can put it in pre-amp mode so I can adjust down. Just not sure why that would have a benefit. Maybe I read a past post on this incorrectly?

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #752 of 1,636
OK...so reading here something about using a pre-amp to adjust volume down...allowing the Jot A to have the volume turned up a bit. Is there any benefit to that? I have a D90 and can put it in pre-amp mode so I can adjust down. Just not sure why that would have a benefit. Maybe I read a past post on this incorrectly?
No, you are correct. The idea is that the Jot-A has better output characteristics when the volume is turned up. Whether or not that matches with reality (objectively) will be difficult to determine.

Aug 11, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #753 of 1,636
So how does the CRBN compare to the LCD-R?
Really difficult to say. I put some of my impressions up over in the CRBN thread.

I really have no idea how loud I was listening. The CRBN was so smooth and engaging that I just didn't have the impetus to turn it down once I started listening. So that may have contributed to my impressions.

Either way, when I sat down later in the evening with my LCD-Rs they felt a bit dull in comparison... even when I cranked the volume up higher than I might normally. However, I had a lot on my mind in the evening and might not have been as engaged as I was when I sat down to listen to the CRBN. Set and setting have a lot do with perception, so it is difficult to determine if my impressions were due to the attributes of the CRBN or my state of mind.

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #754 of 1,636
No, you are correct. The idea is that the Jot-A has better output characteristics when the volume is turned up. Whether or not that matches with reality (objectively) will be difficult to determine.
I can only report based on what I heard. To me (and yes, it is subjective) being able to turn the volume up on the Jot A did improve the sound quality and dynamics.
It was an easy thing to try with my Burson DAC/Amp. I will admit (as always), the above is IMHO and YMMV.
Cheers! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 11, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #755 of 1,636
I tried connecting the Jot A to the Pre-Out of my Burson Conductor 3X DAC/Amp. I'm playing the music from a Cayin iDAP-6 to the Burson Conductor. With the Conductor pre-out volume at 76, I could raise the Jot A volume to between 10:30 and 11:00 comfortably. The difference in dynamics is noticeable! With the Pre-Out, it gives the Jot A room to breath and definitely improves the sound quality. Bass has noticeable impact (even without the Bass Shelf). I'm looking forward to further listening!
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends
A fellow Burson user! Cheers!

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #757 of 1,636
Really difficult to say. I put some of my impressions up over in the CRBN thread.

I really have no idea how loud I was listening. The CRBN was so smooth and engaging that I just didn't have the impetus to turn it down once I started listening. So that may have contributed to my impressions.

Either way, when I sat down later in the evening with my LCD-Rs they felt a bit dull in comparison... even when I cranked the volume up higher than I might normally. However, I had a lot on my mind in the evening and might not have been as engaged as I was when I sat down to listen to the CRBN. Set and setting have a lot do with perception, so it is difficult to determine if my impressions were due to the attributes of the CRBN or my state of mind.
Thanks for your impressions.

Electrostats (headphones and speakers) have an ease of presentation that other transducers find difficult to match, but can sound too light weight and ethereal on prolonged listening. Its the reason many prefer the older Stax 007 series to the newer 009 and why many use tube amps to add some "body" (i.e. thicken the presentation by adding benign even order harmonics and a slightly rolled off top end) to the presentation. Also, I'm sure the LCD-R's dip at 4.5khz that I suspect prevents it from sounding too etched on lesser recordings contributes to the sense of comparitive dullness as well. The fact that Audeze either tuned or left that dip in the frequency response is enlightening and suggests they were going after a specific presentation.

A back to back comparison and long term listening is likely required to establish a preference.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #758 of 1,636
Are you speculating this based off the assumption the LCD-R has better bass? I am a bit confused by your statement...
so i used my v590 as dac/preamp to jot a. so for bass it sounded as good as my lcd-24 or slightly better. but with a V590 it will always have great bass. it is never thin or lean. you will never feel you have to have more. no, it is enough bass or my eardrums will explode.

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #759 of 1,636
Thanks for your impressions.

Electrostats (headphones and speakers) have an ease of presentation that other transducers find difficult to match, but can sound too light weight and ethereal on prolonged listening. Its the reason many prefer the older Stax 007 series to the newer 009 and why many use tube amps to add some "body" (i.e. thicken the presentation by adding benign even order harmonics and a slightly rolled off top end) to the presentation. Also, I'm sure the LCD-R's dip at 4.5khz that I suspect prevents it from sounding too etched on lesser recordings contributes to the sense of comparitive dullness as well. The fact that Audeze either tuned or left that dip in the frequency response is enlightening and suggests they were going after a specific presentation.

A back to back comparison and long term listening is likely required to establish a preference.
I would imagine the 5khz dip would make it sound more dull than most e-stats. That being said, from my experience A/B'ing the LCD-R with the susvara, raising the 5khz region by only a few db allowed the liveliness of the LCD-R to match the liveliness of the susvara (to my perception).

So if anyone is going to compare the CRBN to the LCD-R, I think a 5khz boost would be necessary in order for there to be a fair competition.

Aug 11, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #760 of 1,636
Has anyone spoken to Embody regarding a Reveal preset with the LCD-R? I had trouble with the newer plug-in that I think some other users were experiencing also with Reveal acting like it needed to be purchased in order for it to function at all. I went back to the original plug-in, but it probably will not be updated ever.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #761 of 1,636
Soooooo, i have been checking the Audeze site for the LCD-R over and over again to see if they have had any returns or if they were to add any more stock... I was able to order a 115w power supply version of the set early today around 7pm EST. After I bought it, it was out of stock for the 115W. I just checked again and the 230W seems to be available on their site if anyone is still looking to buy one.

I was kicking myself for not jumping on the deal originally, and I hope the headphone and amp actually ship, but I did at least receive a confirmation email.

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-r?variant=39439395389518

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #762 of 1,636
Soooooo, i have been checking the Audeze site for the LCD-R over and over again to see if they have had any returns or if they were to add any more stock... I was able to order a 115w power supply version of the set early today around 7pm EST. After I bought it, it was out of stock for the 115W. I just checked again and the 230W seems to be available on their site if anyone is still looking to buy one.

I was kicking myself for not jumping on the deal originally, and I hope the headphone and amp actually ship, but I did at least receive a confirmation email.

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-r?variant=39439395389518
Congratz! I might be tempted if another 115v version pops up on their site :o2smile:.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:14 PM Post #763 of 1,636
Congratz! I might be tempted if another 115v version pops up on their site :o2smile:.
Hope it ships, and i hope it's in good shape! fingers crossed.

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:33 PM Post #764 of 1,636
Maybe I don't understand, but isn't it just the amp that's 230V? Couldn't someone buy the 230V version just to get the headphones then either use with another amp (as some have already fine) or get the amp changed by Schiit to 120V?

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:35 PM Post #765 of 1,636
Has anyone spoken to Embody regarding a Reveal preset with the LCD-R? I had trouble with the newer plug-in that I think some other users were experiencing also with Reveal acting like it needed to be purchased in order for it to function at all. I went back to the original plug-in, but it probably will not be updated ever.
I got in touch with Embody and they confirmed they are working on updates to Reveal+ and also adding LCD-R + CRBN. Might be a few months + though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back