Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Aug 10, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #736 of 1,636
These big flat drivers have higher than average consistency, not unlike the wide sweet spot of a wide dispersion speaker. Treble is quite smooth other than the big dipper. (Not sure why it's showing 1/48, as I set smoothing off in REW)

measurement-comp.png
Interesting! Does the lcd-cx show a similar behavior?

Aug 10, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #737 of 1,636
If he has the old pads on the XC, which I believe he does - than it won't be apples to apples. The XC now comes with the pads that are on the LCD-R (correct me if I am wrong)

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #738 of 1,636
Has anyone tried pads from an LCD on the R? Is it even possible? If so, what sound differences do you hear?

Also, has anyone talked to Jason about how to lower the gain/volume on the Jot A? I can't listen to any music above 9 o'clock on the volume control. How about a Schiit Lokius between the DAC and Amp? Do you think that would help?
Cheers and Thanks! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:19 PM Post #739 of 1,636
Has anyone tried pads from an LCD on the R? Is it even possible? If so, what sound differences do you hear?

Also, has anyone talked to Jason about how to lower the gain/volume on the Jot A? I can't listen to any music above 9 o'clock on the volume control. How about a Schiit Lokius between the DAC and Amp? Do you think that would help?
-HK sends

I don't think anyone would be brave enough to attempt such an operation, myself included! I find the pads very comfortable, and they create an excellent seal.

I've contemplated turning the Jot up to 3:00 and just limit the volume with my RME Adi, but I have yet to attempt that. Personally, I don't really have desire to try that at the moment since it sounds so good as it is.

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #740 of 1,636
I don't think anyone would be brave enough to attempt such an operation, myself included! I find the pads very comfortable, and they create an excellent seal.

I've contemplated turning the Jot up to 3:00 and just limit the volume with my RME Adi, but I have yet to attempt that. Personally, I don't really have desire to try that at the moment since it sounds so good as it is.
Mine have a good seal but my ears suffer from "Fazor Dent" any time I listen for a length of time which limits my enjoyment.
As far as volume goes, I don't have anyway to control my DAC's output. Would a pre-amp work in this situation? I've seen some mention somewhere on this thread.
-HK sends

Aug 10, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #741 of 1,636
Mine have a good seal but my ears suffer from "Fazor Dent" any time I listen for a length of time which limits my enjoyment.
As far as volume goes, I don't have anyway to control my DAC's output. Would a pre-amp work in this situation? I've seen some mention somewhere on this thread.
-HK sends
Maybe the easiest way is to apply a negative gain on your source /player e.g. Foobar, uapp, jriver, etc.
On some dacs it also lowers the volume output signal

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #743 of 1,636
If he has the old pads on the XC, which I believe he does - than it won't be apples to apples. The XC now comes with the pads that are on the LCD-R (correct me if I am wrong)
The XC I have are from the latest batch and have the new pads. They have a different leather and stiffer foam than the LCD-R.

I didn't put much work in refining my compensation curve above 7k before, but since people are looking at it I tried to make some refinements. It's hard to know what's correct up there, so I usually just do that part by ear.

LCD-XC 2021 comparison.png

Incidentally, I took the XC out again to give them another listen. Their stock tuning is actually pretty good, but I hadn't really been listening to them because of how closed in and dynamically compressed they sound. I tried them again today and played around with some eq settings, and yeah ... they just sound tiny (not tinny) and boring/overdamped by comparison. They're definitely going back to headphones.com.

Here are my EQ settings, in case anyone wants to give them a try. (Note that if you're using Equalizer APO, treble filters approaching 20k don't behave correctly and may produce a different result.)

LCD-XC 2021 EQ settings.png

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #744 of 1,636

-HK sends
I really, really wanted to try that. But since I'm not keeping the LCD-XC, I couldn't remove them to try it. Based on how the new pads affect the X series, they should notably improve the frequency response, but I'm not sure how it would affect anything else like soundstage.

Aug 11, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #745 of 1,636
I tried connecting the Jot A to the Pre-Out of my Burson Conductor 3X DAC/Amp. I'm playing the music from a Cayin iDAP-6 to the Burson Conductor. With the Conductor pre-out volume at 76, I could raise the Jot A volume to between 10:30 and 11:00 comfortably. The difference in dynamics is noticeable! With the Pre-Out, it gives the Jot A room to breath and definitely improves the sound quality. Bass has noticeable impact (even without the Bass Shelf). I'm looking forward to further listening!
Cheers and All the Best! :beerchug:
-HK sends

Aug 11, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #746 of 1,636
Stopped by Audeze's offices today to listen to the CRBN.

While I was there I asked about the issue I mentioned earlier in the thread. Apparently the popping sound I am experiencing when engaging the bass shelf is completely normal.

Probably should have prepared some more questions, haha. 🤷‍♂️

Aug 11, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #747 of 1,636

While I was there I asked about the issue I mentioned earlier in the thread. Apparently the popping sound I am experiencing when engaging the bass shelf is completely normal.

I envy you guys, who have the possibility to go there directly.

Aug 11, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #748 of 1,636

So how does the CRBN compare to the LCD-R?

Aug 11, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #750 of 1,636
to speculate it would not even be a close fight. rooting for Team LCD-R for the knockout win on Round 12.
Are you speculating this based off the assumption the LCD-R has better bass? I am a bit confused by your statement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back