Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 31, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #496 of 1,636
I chose not to listen to it. I don't need to be upset I let it go.
Huh? Could you elaborate a little as the statement sounds a little cryptic to the "uninitiated" (i.e. yours truly :slight_smile: :slight_smile:)? What did you let go without a listen, and why?

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #497 of 1,636
Huh? Could you elaborate a little as the statement sounds a little cryptic to the "uninitiated" (i.e. yours truly :slight_smile: :slight_smile:)? What did you let go without a listen, and why?

He sold on his LCD-R having not listened to it. As for why, not sure I would have been wholly unable to resist

Jul 31, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #498 of 1,636
you can fine my message a few comments back. He sold it to me. We met up yesterday. He didn’t want to regret selling it and I also wanted to unbox it myself.

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #499 of 1,636
I chose not to listen to it. I don't need to be upset I let it go.
Do you plan to order the ne estat on monday?

Was that maybe one of the reasons to let go of the Ribbon?

Jul 31, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #500 of 1,636
you can fine my message a few comments back. He sold it to me. We met up yesterday. He didn’t want to regret selling it and I also wanted to unbox it myself.
Sounds like a win win for both parties. Nice! And by the way congrats!

"Let us all learn from thus mans restraint" says the man twitching like a crack addict while trying to figure out how to demo everything ever made.
A toast to the twitching dude! He sounds like my kind of guy :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I would't put this nugget past him either:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

fc8fbbe995fd6bf46eeb5b5ad3b17c1c.gif

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #501 of 1,636
Sounds like a win win for both parties. Nice! And by the way congrats//!
Thank you! Only have an hour or two on them…but I can agree so far with the general POV people have shared when connected to the Jot A. I am enjoying them particularly for some of my rock music that didn’t sound great on my other set up (A/D90 + Arya).

I don’t want to void warranty so I’m sticking with the Jot but would like for them to offer a higher end amp if they follow this up with another ribbon product…or provide a list of amps that they would feel comfortable with owners using without voiding the warranty.

This is my first Schiit product…it feels cheap…the volume knob rubs against the chassis (maybe a warranty thing?)…and the switches feel short and stubby (meh). I know that has nothing to do with sound…but it’s what struck me when I first set it up. I also found it odd that the volume knob doesn’t even hit 10 o’clock before it starts getting much too loud to listen to…and I like my music loud.

The inclusion of the Jot feels like a marketing deal between two friendly US based companies…one that is clearly a step above the other in quality. I don’t think the partnership elevated Schiit as a brand, probably harms them more than helps…and it doesn’t add anything to Audeze as a brand…from what others say it likely holds back their ribbon tech.

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #502 of 1,636
I don’t think the partnership elevated Schiit as a brand, probably harms them more than helps
Schiit is doing fine, they can't keep up with demand -- I don't think they're worried that this collaboration with Audeze hurt them a whit. :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #503 of 1,636
Schiit is doing fine, they can't keep up with demand -- I don't think they're worried that this collaboration with Audeze hurt them a whit. :)
I mean…I wasn’t really talking about sales wise…I don’t know what their sales are like…not sure if they share things like that publicly.

I was talking about brand perception and overall value placed on that brand. In marketing…there are times when you do things not to make money but to add perceived value to your brand while increasing mindshare in a particular community.

In all cases, as a company, you are worried when people are talking in public about your brand/product in a non-flattering light. It’s the opposite of what you want the narrative to be.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #505 of 1,636
I mean…I wasn’t really talking about sales wise…I don’t know what their sales are like…not sure if they share things like that publicly.

I was talking about brand perception and overall value placed on that brand. In marketing…there are times when you do things not to make money but to add perceived value to your brand while increasing mindshare in a particular community.

In all cases, as a company, you are worried when people are talking in public about your brand/product in a non-flattering light. It’s the opposite of what you want the narrative to be.

Eh, yeah, but they already have some detractors, and already have a very, very strong base of customers (just read all the forums, including this one), so ... I don't think this very, very small rollout of 67 headphones with Schiit amps is going to put ANY perceptible dent AT ALL in public perception, that's all I'm saying. :)

The complaints raised themselves (cheap feeling parts in some cases) are already out there for previous products -- so, this really doesn't change anything.

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:27 PM Post #506 of 1,636
Eh, yeah, but they already have some detractors, and already have a very, very strong base of customers (just read all the forums, including this one), so ... I don't think this very, very small rollout of 67 headphones with Schiit amps is going to put ANY perceptible dent AT ALL in public perception, that's all I'm saying. :)

The complaints raised themselves (cheap feeling parts in some cases) are already out there for previous products -- so, this really doesn't change anything.
Actually creating a "current drive" amp for a small endeavour like this is a pretty cool thing.

Considering the ~500$ price tag, the build quality is also fine (probably identical to Jotunheim)

This fits totally to Schiits Image of creating great price/Performance items

Jul 31, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #507 of 1,636
Actually creating a "current drive" amp for a small endeavour like this is a pretty cool thing.

Considering the ~500$ price tag, the build quality is also fine (probably identical to Jotunheim)

This fits totally to Schiits Image of creating great price/Performance items
Totes agree -- I still have a 1st gen Jotunheim and I've also owned a Magni 3 and a Fulla, and while it's not the most beautiful audio jewelry, I love the price / performance ratio. But I get that it's not for everyone, I just think this collab with Audeze doesn't really move the needle much overall as far as how they are perceived by headphone enthusiasts -- people's existing perceptions are pretty much going not going to be impacted, is all I am saying. :)

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #508 of 1,636
Thank you! Only have an hour or two on them…but I can agree so far with the general POV people have shared when connected to the Jot A. I am enjoying them particularly for some of my rock music that didn’t sound great on my other set up (A/D90 + Arya).

I don’t want to void warranty so I’m sticking with the Jot but would like for them to offer a higher end amp if they follow this up with another ribbon product…or provide a list of amps that they would feel comfortable with owners using without voiding the warranty.

This is my first Schiit product…it feels cheap…the volume knob rubs against the chassis (maybe a warranty thing?)…and the switches feel short and stubby (meh). I know that has nothing to do with sound…but it’s what struck me when I first set it up. I also found it odd that the volume knob doesn’t even hit 10 o’clock before it starts getting much too loud to listen to…and I like my music loud.

The inclusion of the Jot feels like a marketing deal between two friendly US based companies…one that is clearly a step above the other in quality. I don’t think the partnership elevated Schiit as a brand, probably harms them more than helps…and it doesn’t add anything to Audeze as a brand…from what others say it likely holds back their ribbon tech.

Totes agree -- I still have a 1st gen Jotunheim and I've also owned a Magni 3 and a Fulla, and while it's not the most beautiful audio jewelry, I love the price / performance ratio. But I get that it's not for everyone, I just think this collab with Audeze doesn't really move the needle much overall as far as how they are perceived by headphone enthusiasts -- people's existing perceptions are pretty much going not going to be impacted, is all I am saying. :)

Agree with both sentiments here. Ultimately Schiit makes products with lesser build quality specifically to allow for high SQ for the price. There is no doubt that the LCD-R + Jot A combo is very competitively priced over all. Unfortunately i also agree that the jot A cheapens the feel fo the over all package. For example I have a spru sticking off of the volume knob of mine. While this is fine for a $500 niche amp, its less fine in a $2500 package IMO.

You are completely missing the point here. He is not saying dont buy Schiit products. He is saying that for something specifically sold in a $2500 package the quality is lacking. I completely agree with him. Schiit products being focused on SQ over fit and finish is just fine, but its also fine to complain about that fit and finish when you are forced into one of their products with a high end setup

Jul 31, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #509 of 1,636
Ya'll complain about all the wrong things.

SQ over build quality over packaging over integration over limited edition.

If you can't get 67 simple headamps correct, GTFO.

Jason is a pretty good engineer, but Schiit is too big today. They're no longer the charming underdog.

They still produce commercial crap compared to DIY.

Shrugs.

Some things never change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back