Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Jul 27, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #391 of 1,636
I have not heard the Arya (was just looking for an 'Open box' Arya though), but I have heard the Ananda (handled bass EQ, okay) and I really liked those. However, to me if you say it takes "EQ VERY well", saying that "There is quite a bit of bloom" would mean to me that it does now take EQ very well. "Bloom" to me is a negative trait. Just my opinion. All of the Audeze LCD line that I have tried take bass EQ very well, with perhaps ZERO bloom. Another headphone that I love to EQ, the HD800 take bass EQ pretty well. But you can definitely bring on some bloom/muddiness if not careful.
Yes, the LCD line has great bass response, especially when EQ is used. I'm not sure if "bloom" was the best term to use, as it has such a negative connotation. But the bass on the Arya is certainly something to behold, nothing sounds quite like it. I would definitely encourage any one who gets the chance to listen to a well-eq'd arya.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:22 PM Post #392 of 1,636
Yes, the LCD line has great bass response, especially when EQ is used. I'm not sure if "bloom" was the best term to use, as it has such a negative connotation. But the bass on the Arya is certainly something to behold, nothing sounds quite like it. I would definitely encourage any one who gets the chance to listen to a well-eq'd arya.

Counter anecdote, even using arya on a GSX mini, bass was always lean and boring even when EQed and I found the mids thin to the point of being boring. Only thing I did that even vaugeky fixed them was using tjem underpowered on a portable tube amp called the phantasy ii and even that just got them to passable. Imo, mest mk2 directly out of my note 9 was a better audio experience than arya out of 5, 7, 8, 10k chains (plus the cost of the cans obviously). I won't claim arya are bad because they are extraordinarily technicaly proficient. I just found them boring as hell. Like well layers mixing cans.

Well now my expectations are getting really confused. Currently have been underwhelmed with a 2021 LCD-XC via ADI-2 and Jot 2, so am very curious if I will be as impressed by LCD-R as much as the folks here. They'd have to be entirely different animals. I won't have any speaker amps to try Jot-R on, so will just be trying it with the included amp.

Got a tracking number yesterday with an expected delivery of tomorrow, but it appears to have not been pickup up by UPS yet.

I have a 2020 XC and they are entierly different beasts. Not even vaugely the same tier nor sound sig or presentation. I won't say you will like them for sure (I have no idea what you like or the kind of music you listen to), but they are very different from every other audeze I've ever heard

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #393 of 1,636
Counter anecdote, even using arya on a GSX mini, bass was always lean and boring even when EQed and I found the mids thin to the point of being boring. Only thing I did that even vaugeky fixed them was using tjem underpowered on a portable tube amp called the phantasy ii and even that just got them to passable. Imo, mest mk2 directly out of my note 9 was a better audio experience than arya out of 5, 7, 8, 10k chains (plus the cost of the cans obviously). I won't claim arya are bad because they are extraordinarily technicaly proficient. I just found them boring as hell. Like well layers mixing cans.
Have you tried another set of Arya's? It could also just be our taste in music push our opinions of how it handles bass.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:40 PM Post #394 of 1,636
To start, the cable is just ok. Nice rean connectors. I'll look to Norne to set me right promptly.
Secondly, the Fazors are a reminder I'm listening to headphones. They rub a bit. Similar to Rognir and earpad depth. Oh, how the 1266 has spoiled me rotten.

They are comfortable and carry the weight well.

These sound very clear, resolving and smooth. A bit reminiscent of HEDD treble extension that is very, very smooth without missing a beat.
Mid presence is very natural, very present, very uncolored. Thinking SR1a pristine. Pianos sound weighted and accurate.

Staging is more-closed in than a TC comparable to Susvara and very adept imaging. Space plays nicely and with technicality of the best.

Bass presence is very good for audiophiles; not the last word of punch, dynamic slam or extension but extremely good. Not 1% planar good but comparable to abc dynamic alternative planar. I'm very pleased with this 'ribbon' response. This denotes the TC as a ridiculous monster which comparative reference there-in feels unfair.

There is a sense of darkness to the mid-treble integration, without recession or missing information just a smoothing-over. Reminds me of a DIY T2 and 009 that is just liquid.

These do respond more as a stat than planar but strike a stark balance that feels indeed Goldilocked.

I will evaluate in a few more days with CFA3 and uberamp, for now, I'm quite entrenched with listening bliss.

Initial listening tracks: Periphery Lune, Satellites, No Doubt Push and Shove, Lorne Ask the Dust, Soap & Skin Voyage Voyage and of course Between the Buried and Me King Redeem / Queen Serene.

Bravo Audeze!

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #396 of 1,636
To start, the cable is just ok. Nice rean connectors. I'll look to Norne to set me right promptly.
Secondly, the Fazors are a reminder I'm listening to headphones. They rub a bit. Similar to Rognir and earpad depth. Oh, how the 1266 has spoiled me rotten.

They are comfortable and carry the weight well.

These sound very clear, resolving and smooth. A bit reminiscent of HEDD treble extension that is very, very smooth without missing a beat.
Mid presence is very natural, very present, very uncolored. Thinking SR1a pristine. Pianos sound weighted and accurate.

Staging is more-closed in than a TC comparable to Susvara and very adept imaging. Space plays nicely and with technicality of the best.

Bass presence is very good for audiophiles; not the last word of punch, dynamic slam or extension but extremely good. Not 1% planar good but comparable to abc dynamic alternative planar. I'm very pleased with this 'ribbon' response. This denotes the TC as a ridiculous monster which comparative reference there-in feels unfair.

There is a sense of darkness to the mid-treble integration, without recession or missing information just a smoothing-over. Reminds me of a DIY T2 and 009 that is just liquid.

These do respond more as a stat than planar but strike a stark balance that feels indeed Goldilocked.

I will evaluate in a few more days with CFA3 and uberamp, for now, I'm quite entrenched with listening bliss.

Initial listening tracks: Periphery Lune, Satellites, No Doubt Push and Shove, Lorne Ask the Dust, Soap & Skin Voyage Voyage and of course Between the Buried and Me King Redeem / Queen Serene.

Bravo Audeze!
I would have to agree with everything you said.

Also, just started my Arya/LCD-R testing.

First word: these headphones punch much harder in the bass than the Arya's, it's no competition. The biggest difference is the bass presence. The arya bass is everywhere, ethereal. The LCD is a bit more close in, bass wise. But it's certainly more detailed and textured bass than the arya.

PS, every time I put the LCD-R on and listen to music, I find it very hard to take them off for the A/B comparison. They sound so smooth and enjoyable!

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #397 of 1,636
Have you tried another set of Arya's? It could also just be our taste in music push our opinions of how it handles bass.

Hahahaha. Yes. I just like to be able to feel slam 3 states over. I personaly would call the LCD-R slam neutral and yoy can see how arya stacks up there

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #398 of 1,636
Hahahaha. Yes. I just like to be able to feel slam 3 states over. I personaly would call the LCD-R slam neutral and yoy can see how arya stacks up there
I would love to feel the slam 3 states over! I originally tested the Lcd-4 at a friend's house, and was blown away by the bass response compared to my arya and the LCD-X I had at the time. It felt like the kick drums were next to my ear. He had an older model, so I ordered the latest model hoping to get a better taste of slam-ville.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the Lcd-4 I got didn't perform any better than my LCD-X (slam-wise). So I traded them in for a pair of Abyss Diana Phi. I'm still searching for it, and I'm in denial that the solution is the 1266TC.

Jul 27, 2021 at 6:55 PM Post #400 of 1,636
I would love to feel the slam 3 states over! I originally tested the Lcd-4 at a friend's house, and was blown away by the bass response compared to my arya and the LCD-X I had at the time. It felt like the kick drums were next to my ear. He had an older model, so I ordered the latest model hoping to get a better taste of slam-ville.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, the Lcd-4 I got didn't perform any better than my LCD-X (slam-wise). So I traded them in for a pair of Abyss Diana Phi. I'm still searching for it, and I'm in denial that the solution is the 1266TC.

Oof, yah. Diana are not how you want to go for slam.... utopia slam much better, and hedd and probabaly rad 0 do as well. I would assume 1266 would be your best bet though (haven't heard them) and personalt have hugh hopes for the new raal over ears (seeing as raals feel like they would slam currently if they weren't just out from your ears).

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #401 of 1,636
@Audeze Is it normal to hear a popping sound when engaging the bass compensation on the Jot-A? Only seems to happen when I first flip the switch after a while. I stopped after a few times because I don't want to damage anything.

Anyone else experience this?

Just wanted to follow up on this since no one has responded and I didn't tag audeze in the previous post.

Jul 27, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #402 of 1,636
@Audeze Is it normal to hear a popping sound when engaging the bass compensation on the Jot-A? Only seems to happen when I first flip the switch after a while. I stopped after a few times because I don't want to damage anything.

Anyone else experience this?

Just wanted to follow up on this since no one has responded and I didn't tag audeze in the previous post.

I'm getting the same thing. I also get popping about 15-30s after turning the amp on

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #403 of 1,636
I'm getting the same thing. I also get popping about 15-30s after turning the amp on
Same, on both accounts. I would imagine the"popping" during the high pass filter switch would be caused by some sort of DC build up before the circuit gets grounded.

Jul 27, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #404 of 1,636
Well got my pair today and man, my ears just do not agree with these fazors. So far have pin pointed three spots where they press against them. It feels ok if I sit up and not move but the instant I turn my head I’m reminded of their presence. The attached pic is after 2 hours of testing and you can see one spot where it actually left a mark, my other ear was worse. Maybe a denser pad would help? It’s so close to being just right, like a centimeter or two :frowning2:

Attachments

• 2C537D10-5091-4BE0-A875-5524B848B487.jpeg
    2C537D10-5091-4BE0-A875-5524B848B487.jpeg
    402.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 27, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #405 of 1,636
Well got my pair today and man, my ears just do not agree with these fazors. So far have pin pointed three spots where they press against them. It feels ok if I sit up and not move but the instant I turn my head I’m reminded of their presence. The attached pic is after 2 hours of testing and you can see one spot where it actually left a mark, my other ear was worse. Maybe a denser pad would help? It’s so close to being just right, like a centimeter or two :frowning2:
Awe man that's rough. The fazors don't touch my ears, even if I push the pads in. Audeze is on this forum, you should contact them and see if they have any ergonomic advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back