Introducing the Audeze LCD-R!
Sep 18, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #1,096 of 1,636
Wa8 works and is a clear step up from jot. Ill be trying wa33 today as well (wa22 also works but I don't have access to one of those). I have a number of other options I've seen reports of from others but haven't tried myself. I'll put together a propper post later today or maybe early next week.
Seems a bit surprising that the woo tube amps would work well with the low impedance and high sensitivity of the LCD-R.

Sep 18, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,097 of 1,636
Seems a bit surprising that the woo tube amps would work well with the low impedance and high sensitivity of the LCD-R.

OI of the wa8 is 20 ohms too, but it seems to work well. It just can get a bit too gooey given how wet the wa8 is stock. Ima try and tube roll it to see if I can clean up the sound a bit tbh

Sep 18, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #1,098 of 1,636
I understand sticking a fork or knife into an outlet - they kind of fit. But, a female XLR doesn't seem to fit into any of my headphone amplifiers.

We don't even know the rated RMS of these drivers. Once we find the first person to blow up their drivers, we can start speculating though. Go dig through some old Krell catalogs if you want to find the right type of amplifier and then figure out the resistance needed to not toast the LCD-R.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,099 of 1,636
I understand sticking a fork or knife into an outlet - they kind of fit. But, a female XLR doesn't seem to fit into any of my headphone amplifiers.

We don't even know the rated RMS of these drivers. Once we find the first person to blow up their drivers, we can start speculating though. Go dig through some old Krell catalogs if you want to find the right type of amplifier and then figure out the resistance needed to not toast the LCD-R.
It's a planar driver, they are much better at power handling that dynamic voice coils. I think you'd be hard pressed to burn up these drivers before blowing your eardrums. Now blowing an amp, that's a very real possibility.

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/tutorials/power-amp-adapter/

Here is the resource I used to figure out how to drive my susvara with a speaker amp, I think a bit of this theory can be applied to the LCD-R. We just need to know the power handling value. Anyone want to contribute a data point? lol

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,100 of 1,636
I still think for under $3,000, it is almost impossible to recommend a better headphone than the LCD_R. And bonus: you get an amplifier too! Stat-like quickness, planar-like bass = win-win!

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #1,101 of 1,636

Then dont try it. But idk why you are so upset about someone else trying it tbh. Audeze has said they will repair at cost if out of warrenty and the real thing you are changing is the amp anyways unless you output full scale by accident the headphones will be fine if the amp can handle the load

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #1,102 of 1,636
Then dont try it. But idk why you are so upset about someone else trying it tbh. Audeze has said they will repair at cost if out of warrenty and the real thing you are changing is the amp anyways unless you output full scale by accident the headphones will be fine if the amp can handle the load
You do you.. I would rather force manufacturers to start building the amplifiers that they used to.

Sep 18, 2021 at 12:42 PM Post #1,103 of 1,636

You can switch to a normal Audeze cable if you want to connect to a headphone amplifier. The difference in the pin-outs is internal to the stock cable. As I mentioned earlier, I checked with Woo (who have an LCD-R) and they said it is fine to use it with my WA-5. Of course, they make no guarantees. I have my WA-5 set to low gain and low impedance when using the LCD-R. And I'm careful with the volume control. The sound is superior to the Jot-A for my taste, but I've been so busy lately that I have not had much time for listening. I still feel the need to EQ in a bass boost when using the WA-5.

You do you.. I would rather force manufacturers to start building the amplifiers that they used to.

Given how few LCD-R owners there are, I don't see us forcing anything on anyone. If Headamp had a good design, maybe we could convince Justin to do a one time group buy. Or something like that, perhaps.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 1:30 PM Post #1,105 of 1,636

A lot of people said that they were able to use a standard LCD cable with the LCD-R and I think some others might have made an adapter to convert the female to male XLR for normal use.

I thought I read something in this thread about the LCD-R using a different pin out for their XLR. Is this true or not? If it’s normal, a regular LCD cable should be totally fine.

I’m not sure that the headphones are going to blow up, but rather the amp (potentially). Presenting a 2ohm load to an amp is getting closer to a short. If the amp has an output impedance greater than 2ohms, I would be very cautious or confirm with the manufacturer that their amp can handle the load presented to the amp

Sep 18, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #1,106 of 1,636
I still think for under $3,000, it is almost impossible to recommend a better headphone than the LCD_R. And bonus: you get an amplifier too! Stat-like quickness, planar-like bass = win-win!

I couldn't agree with this more. I was actually coming to this thread just to mention this. I'm just really blown away from a price to performance standpoint. I'm a bit hesitant to say this, but they are one of the best headphones I've heard. Not the best, but certainly and absolutely the best I've heard under $3k. To my ears, the bass could still be better, but the overall sound is just so good regardless.

-----------

Separate from that, I'm not necessarily loving the amp. It feels like it's limiting the bass, but more importantly, it doesn't have a black noise floor. I have to adjust my DAC and software volume instead of using the volume dial on the amp. If I go over 12 o'clock, I get very very noticeable hum. But I'm not sure if it's just my unit. I've had 3 schiit amps total, and two of them have had issues. I do wish such a good headphone could've been paired with a better amp. I'm still not going to void the warranty, but in the future I honestly am likely to try something else if I think I can do so safely.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #1,107 of 1,636
Thank you for pointing this out to me and thanks to the person who made it. However, I'm not sure it is very accurate. The Jot-A manual describes the bass shelf (not boost) like this: "When it is on it attenuates mids and highs and leaves bass unchanged. This makes overall loudness lower with more bassy tonal balance." The graph shows the highs unchanged and the bass boosted.
In the first part of my review here, I noted that the bass boost is really a high shelf. This means when comparing the sound with it on vs off, you need to manually adjust the volume to match in the midrange.

I miss them since selling them. It was the smart financial decision, but not the smart audiophile one 😥

Sep 18, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #1,108 of 1,636
Ok, so it looks like my massive distate for wa33 before was largely a synergy issue. P6 Pro -> WA33 -> LCD-R very well be the most enjoyable headphone experience i have ever heard (note I havent heard sus or 1266 but got like everything below that covered)

20210918_134626.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #1,109 of 1,636
Ok, so it looks like my massive distate for wa33 before was largely a synergy issue. P6 Pro -> WA33 -> LCD-R very well be the most enjoyable headphone experience i have ever heard (note I havent heard sus or 1266 but got like everything below that covered)

20210918_134626.jpg
What were you using with the WA33 before?

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #1,110 of 1,636
What were you using with the WA33 before?

D8000 Pro and Utopia. Got them both here again today to confirm I prefer litteraly any other amp with the d8kp and utopia I easily prefer the mogwai OG. Tbh I dont like utopia on much in general though (but when it's good its amazing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back