Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Aug 30, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #362 of 2,497
Will this unit produce
I wonder how this will compare to the Cayin N5II in terms of sound. This has less features, but realistically I just like a great sounding unit playing songs from the microSD card and through wired headhones. My go to brand used to be FIIO but since I purchased the M2 (and then M2S and M1 and M0) it has been Shanling so I am pretty interested.

Would love to be a reviewer on this or at least on a tour.
Me also. Ive had good luck with Fiio. Im afraid to switch

Aug 30, 2018 at 8:41 AM Post #363 of 2,497
Really? So why dont you buy Ipod nano, sony a45 or smth else?
9h balanced with on 2x4493 with 3400mah battery is great result.
Dx200 plays for only 7h(flac 16bit) over balanced output with 4400mah.
dx150 ~ 10h(mp3) with 4400mah.

@Shanling
please dont sacrifice SQ for longer battery life.
Don't get your knickers in a twist precious. I'm just hoping for a DAP with exceptional battery life, not burning Shanling flags in the streets. I guess I've been spoiled by my ZX300. So, you know what you can do with your iPod nano suggestion...

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #365 of 2,497
Will this unit produce

Me also. Ive had good luck with Fiio. Im afraid to switch

Opposite is true for me, I have had to return every Fiio DAP I bought due to issues and need for constant firmware updates. I will stick to Shanling and Sony and may consider Cayin if they release an updated N3 with LDAC. The M5S would probably be the top end price wise I would spend on a DAP so anxious to see what the price will be. Also looking forward to the launch of the Sony A55 at IFA this weekend, want to see what Sony has in store.

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #366 of 2,497
Opposite is true for me, I have had to return every Fiio DAP I bought due to issues and need for constant firmware updates. I will stick to Shanling and Sony and may consider Cayin if they release an updated N3 with LDAC. The M5S would probably be the top end price wise I would spend on a DAP so anxious to see what the price will be. Also looking forward to the launch of the Sony A55 at IFA this weekend, want to see what Sony has in store.
Sounds good. I’m ready to try something else. Hard to figure out which one. I need a great sound to play through high end amp and cans

Aug 30, 2018 at 10:25 AM Post #367 of 2,497
Aug 30, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #369 of 2,497

I hope the new Sony is more of an upgrade than A45 was to A35. Would be sweet to have balanced 4.4 output in a smaller, less expensive footprint than zx300.

Doubtful but one can dream.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #370 of 2,497
Just watched the Sony IFA 2018 press conference and no A50 series mentioned

It seems now sites are reporting that we will not see the new A50 this weekend after all at IFA. Sony's application to the FCC for the A50 series expires October 6th so I guess we wait and see what happens between now and then. Kind of strange since Sony has launched all of their previous HiRes DAP's at IFA Berlin in the past and no other DAP's are scheduled to show this weekend. Guess this makes the M5S the front runner for me for my next possible upgrade.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #371 of 2,497
Just watched the Sony IFA 2018 press conference and no A50 series mentioned

It seems now sites are reporting that we will not see the new A50 this weekend after all at IFA. Sony's application to the FCC for the A50 series expires October 6th so I guess we wait and see what happens between now and then. Kind of strange since Sony has launched all of their previous HiRes DAP's at IFA Berlin in the past and no other DAP's are scheduled to show this weekend. Guess this makes the M5S the front runner for me for my next possible upgrade.

Bummer, yes I think this is going to be a great unit. Fiio is out for me, I already have Sony and I didn’t like the last Cayin (I couldn’t get over that horrible screen) and ak is way overpriced and I hate the design of the pioneers and onkyos. I love M0 and I loved my M2s mostly lol so if the price is right I will grab one.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:30 AM Post #372 of 2,497
Bummer, yes I think this is going to be a great unit. Fiio is out for me, I already have Sony and I didn’t like the last Cayin (I couldn’t get over that horrible screen) and ak is way overpriced and I hate the design of the pioneers and onkyos. I love M0 and I loved my M2s mostly lol so if the price is right I will grab one.

Yeah I have to say I liked the sound quality of the Cayin N3, luke warm on the buttons and not the best screen for sure. They just released their flagship N8 but no word on the N3 thread about a pending upgrade to the N3. Looks like it will be wait and see into next year for next DAP. The Shanling M3S was never released in Canada so I am hoping it will not be the case for the M5S and I will get a chance to demo it at some point.

@Shanling any chance you can chime in on availability for the M5S in Canada and why M3S has not been released here? You can buy the M3 but not the M3S which makes no sense and amazon.ca wants over $800 for it. Seems Shanling's distribution still needs some work in Canada.

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #373 of 2,497
Yeah I have to say I liked the sound quality of the Cayin N3, luke warm on the buttons and not the best screen for sure. They just released their flagship N8 but no word on the N3 thread about a pending upgrade to the N3. Looks like it will be wait and see into next year for next DAP. The Shanling M3S was never released in Canada so I am hoping it will not be the case for the M5S and I will get a chance to demo it at some point.

@Shanling any chance you can chime in on availability for the M5S in Canada and why M3S has not been released here? You can buy the M3 but not the M3S which makes no sense and amazon.ca wants over $800 for it. Seems Shanling's distribution still needs some work in Canada.

I was actually talking about the n5ii not the n3 :)

Aug 30, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #374 of 2,497
I was pretty impressed with the M3s and thought Shanling was sneaking into Territory previously held by A&K and Sony only. Will be interesting to see how the new M5s compares to the AK SR15,

Aug 30, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #375 of 2,497
I was actually talking about the n5ii not the n3 :)

Good to know, the N5II is $500.00 here so out of my price range, I suspect an N3 level DAP would be all I would consider from Cayin price wise. Shanling I would probably be willing to pay more like the M5S. Not thrilled Shanling is sticking with the scroll wheel which looks the same as the M0. I would like to find out what functions the 3 buttons control and if they are customizable . I can only hope version 2.0 of the MTouch OS is improved in terms of usability over 1.0 on M0. Bigger screen should help but I will need to demo this for sure so hoping it makes it way to my neck of the woods when released and doesn't get crazy price wise. It bums me out that the A55 is MIA this weekend as it could be really interesting if Sony makes the right improvements over the A45.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back