Introducing Shanling M30 - Modular Desktop Hi-Fi Streaming Player
Jan 22, 2021 at 7:33 AM Post #108 of 1,659
I fear 7.0 is the most modern android that this ancient Snapdragon budget-SoC from 2015 can run. And 4gb is the max. Ram supported.

It's not about " This SoC can run that Os or not " , it's all about SDK.

If Qualcomm don't update Snap430's SDK to support newer Android version, you can't run newer version of Android.
Even if those SoC are capable of running them Os (and Snap430 can ... but you won't have all feature / hardware optimisation such as battery consumption , last Wifi protocol ...).

Same thing apply to FiiO's M series and Exynos (Samsung).

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #109 of 1,659

If Qualcomm don't update Snap430's SDK to support newer Android version, you can't run newer version of Android.
Even if those SoC are capable of running them Os (and Snap430 can ... but you won't have all feature / hardware optimisation such as battery consumption , last Wifi protocol ...).

Also your device has to be certified by Google to run the lastest Android version. The Snapdragon 660 devices have been certified to Android 9.

Not sure why Shanling stuck with the SD430 and Android 7 though...probably to save costs...on a $3600 device...when $800 DAPs already have more modern SoCs with Android 9...

Doesn't add up.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:39 AM Post #110 of 1,659

thats exactly what I meant. you are stuck to ancient android versions with this old chips.

Jan 22, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #111 of 1,659
It seems a very interesting product for me. I could use it with my headphones and speakers if I wish so without a need of the additional source to play music. Why there are so many worries about old android and 4gb ram if it will be a stripped os version purely used for streaming ? If it will deliver I could easily see this as an upgrade from similarly priced dac/amps.

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #112 of 1,659
Why there are so many worries about old android and 4gb ram if it will be a stripped os version purely used for streaming ?

Especially f. streaming that could be a problem.
If Tidal/Qobuz/... decides to not support android 7 any more you are lost with a streaming-player that cannot stream.
And streaming means internet-connectivity and you don't want to connect an operating system without security-updates to the net.
if you play only local files you are safe. but for local playback there are to little storage-options imho. for the price you should get at least 2 TB internal ssd-storage.

Jan 22, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #113 of 1,659
Especially f. streaming that could be a problem.
If Tidal/Qobuz/... decides to not support android 7 any more you are lost with a streaming-player that cannot stream.
And streaming means internet-connectivity and you don't want to connect an operating system without security-updates to the net.
if you play only local files you are safe. but for local playback there are to little storage-options imho. for the price you should get at least 2 TB internal ssd-storage.

For OS version doesn't really actually matter much if you are not looking for new specific features, you can basically run streaming services on the brick which was released 10 years ago if all dependancies are in place. Regards security updates if you strip/tune old android OS properly it can be more safe than any new version that is being release, don't be caught on an idea that new OS is the safest one, in some cases it's actually opposite. There is a reason why enterprises hosts their critical data on very old FreeBSD based systems which proven to be safe for many years. How do you determine that for this price it should have 2TB of internal SSD storage ? There are dacs priced way more than this one without any internal storage and no possibility to stream through them. I agree that it is highly priced, but starting to flame prior it being released and not knowing how it sounds...I see no reason for that. I can bet if such device would be released from well established luxury brand you wouldn't see so many negative views on product

Jan 22, 2021 at 9:53 AM Post #116 of 1,659
Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #117 of 1,659
Apologies for the multi-quote replies but I've been offline for a whole 24 hours :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

It's not negativity towards Shanling per se, rather fair comment about a product Shanling has put out there that doesn't seem to be very well thought through, uses parts and software that's already redundant, will depreciate faster than the sum of its parts and costs more than twice what it's realistically worth (if not more). It's not a personal attack, it's critical response to the facts by a number of very experienced people who've been in this hobby for a while. The same would apply to ANY manufacturer putting out this product.

If we can't hold manufacturers to account and expect a certain standard of performance for our money then we may as well all just put on our favourite brand T-shirts and get matching pom poms.

Spot on! Extension of what I replied above.

How do you figure that? The M8 already has better specs than the M30. More storage, more modern DAC. This sounds like cheerleading to me.

Goes to my point about value and redundancy. This product hasn't been thought through. At all. And is overpriced by a factor >2.

Based on personal experience with high-end desktop systems that cost half of what you're asking for the M30. Look, this isn't personal. But please don't pretend you're offering better value - let alone better sound quality - at $3600 just because this pseudo desktop device runs on batteries.

Nail on head. Your IEMs are the main reason for that sound quality. Are you planning on selling your IEMs and buying over-ear headphones for the M30? Because if you're not, you're:

1. Wasting your money on a desktop device.

2. Already have TWO devices that are better suited for your IEMs (M8 and DX300).

3. Good luck finding headphones that sound better than your IEMs.

Seriously, at this point I can only assume there's another reason for your blind support for the M30 other than wishful thinking or some strange idea that this device will somehow transcend what's already being done better for less money.

More importantly, as an experienced member of this community you should be giving newcomers better advice than what you currently are.

As always, the above is my own opinion, YMMV, and my door is always open for a PM discussion if you think I'm going OT.
[/QUOTE

I am sorry but you got it all wrong about M30, don't be hyped so much cause R8, M8 and D300 comes with fresher and cooler wheels and pipes. Its a question of implementation and how everything is set to work and tuned!

2 the R8 and the rest of the lads are daps and are categorized as almost ToTL daps realm. They are not totl... You want maximum performance out of a dac and the amp system you need a desktop system architecture. No matter what a dap is a dap and is always limited to 1 factor and is battery longevity and compact size.
In desktop those factors are eliminated and here Shanling offers us a system that has all of it without compromises as from what I see.

I understand you love your R8 but its not desktop class sound I am sorry.
And my iems setup will grandiosily benefit from a biffier and more performant device
like M30 as it will scale with it.

As of me not showing a good example lol for new comers, it is unfortunately their fault that they made me mad lol. Keep talking in bs attitude when there is no need for that I am sorry.
But if they believe in stuff like diminishing returns and snake oil fiasco well too bad for them, as they have no idea what is this hobby all about. Yes there is brands not being honest and are releasing all kind of super expensive gears or cables. It doesn't mean its better cause it has titanium or palladium or even gold lol. MARKETING!

any ways seems our opinions differ quiet a bit and we have different believes and comprehension of audio gear. I purely speak of my experience and what I learned. I heard and compared stuff so I know what I am talking about.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #118 of 1,659
One complaint...for $3.5K I would expect the LED volume counter on the front end of the unit to be more in line with the stylish multi-dot LED volume displays seen on high end Hagels amps and many others, not a cheap $200 Xduoo headphone amp.

Jan 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #119 of 1,659
Instead of blaming Shanling, Why not look around other brands? No one can release a new DAC/AMP or DAP with the latest Snapdragon chipset e.g. Snapdragon480 or 460, Snapdragon 690 or 662. I believe they would have a certain reason behind. Perhaps MOQ (Mininum Order Quantity) condition or whatever Qualcomm offer to those brand if MOQ is lower than xxxx pieces. I tend to believe what Qualcomm allow for low number of MOQ might be old-school 2-4 years ago Snapdragon chipsets. Every brands want to produce the best as they can, don't they?

For those who can't accept old-school snapdragon chipset, there is another method but not convenience. That is buy a new entry smartphone which has 6000mAh and a USB-DAC tail product. You will get the up-to-date snapdragon as well as nice screen plus big capacity for long run playback.

This is Shanling M30 Thread, If you think the price and its spec don't make you satisfy. Leave this thread alone rather than blaming this and that. If you have 'cost-effective' mindset, you should know blaming doesn't make your life better. loss your kcal, waste your precious time, trigger drama to other headifiers, make Shanling feel down in such COVID-19 crisis period.

Jan 22, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #120 of 1,659
This is the Shanling M30 showcase. From Shanling M30 -> Shanling Monoblock? -> B&W 800D
The picture is from the Weibo video.

Shanling M30 Speaker setup.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back