Introducing Shanling EM7 – High-End Desktop Streamer DAC/AMP
Jul 16, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #31 of 97
With our EM line, we aim to offer an ideal all-in-one desktop solution for all headphone listeners. We started last year with the EM5 model, which packed a lot of features into a reasonably sized and very well priced package. Now we are pushing it further with the EM7, improving upon the EM5 in every single aspect, going for a High-End performance that will match any of the best Audiophile headphones.

EM7 - Stock HQ (1).jpg

Analog section of EM7 is designed around the flagship ESS DAC ES9038Pro, with its eight channels feeding a fully balanced amplifier, build on our proven OP+BUF architecture. This amplifier circuit was newly designed especially for EM7, matching the highly accurate and clean sound of the DAC, while providing strong power output for the most demanding headphones. Resulting in our best measuring and most powerful desktop DAC/AMP, offering up to 7W @ 32 Ohm // 1W @ 300 Ohm.

On the Streamer side, EM7 is running our closed and customized system, now build upon Android 10. Giving you access to a range of streaming services, local playback from MicroSD card or USB drives, DLNA, Airplay, NAS and even simple Bluetooth streaming. All run through our Android Global Lossless Output (AGLO) system, assuring the ideal audio performance from Android system. EM7 also switches to a faster Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 CPU, making for a significantly swifter system.

The most obvious part of the EM7 is its new tiltable display. Bigger 5.8-inch touch screen with 1080p resolution can be angled up to 60 degrees, allowing for an easy control no matter if it’s placed on a desk or on top of a Hi-Fi rack. And of course, there is always our Eddict player app, serving as a remote control for the local playback or as a complete screen mirroring, giving you access to all sections of EM7 directly from your phone.

EM7 - Live photos (5).jpg

Mixing both a streamer and a Hi-Fi DAC/AMP into one device can be tricky, but we took steps to limit any unwanted interference. DAC and amplifier are isolated from the Android section and we are utilizing an independent power supply for each, with a low-noise Noratel toroidal transformer for the Analog section and a high-quality switching power supply for the Android section.

EM7 is a truly versatile device, smoothly switching between its role as a high-end source for headphones, to a pure DAC with an optional pre-amplifier, to a digital source for your DACs with Coaxial, Optical or USB inputs. If you wish, you can even use it as a source for your Bluetooth headphones or speakers.

EM7 will be available on international markets in August, at MSRP of 2 099 USD/Euro.

EM7 - Live photos (7).jpg

Specification

Dimensions: 252 x 188 x 67.5 mm

Weight: 3.2kg

Display: 5.8-inch 1920*1080 IPS Touch screen

System: Based on Android 10, Closed and Customized

Hi-Res Support: Up to PCM 32bit / 768 kHz & DSD512

Bluetooth: Version 5.0, serving as both Receiver and transmitter

BT codec support: Receiver LDAC & SBC // Transmitter LDAC, aptX-HD, aptX, SBC

Wi-Fi: Dual band 2.4G & 5G

DAC: ESS ES9038Pro

Analog Section: OPA1611 based I/V conversion, OPA2211 based LPF, OPA2211+BD139+BD140 based Amplifier

Analog outputs: 4.4mm & XLR balanced, 3.5mm & 6.35mm Single-ended, with pair of RCA and XLR

Digital outputs: SPDIF Coaxial & Optical, USB Audio Output

Digital inputs: USB-B, Coaxial SPDIF & Optical, 2x USB port for USB drives, MicroSD card slot

Output power Single Ended: Up to 8.5V / 2.3W @ 32 Ohm // 9V / 270mW @ 300 Ohm

Output power Balanced: Up to 15V / 7W @ 32 Ohm // 18V / 1W @ 300 Ohm

Output Impedance: 1.2 Ohm SE // 2.4 Ohm BAL

Balanced THD+N: 0.0003%

Balanced Dynamic Range: 125 dB

Balanced SNR: 125 dB

Balanced Channel separation: 104dB
TAKE MY MONEY!

Jul 17, 2022 at 9:09 PM Post #35 of 97
Great to see all of you interested into our EM7.

If you are in Hong Kong, it will be presented at Audio show in August, first chance to try it out outside of China.

What app will it have in this DAP?

At current time we have Apple Music, Amazon, Tidal, Spotify, Deezer, Qobuz, 网易云音乐, QQ音乐, 酷狗音乐, 酷我音乐

With option to add more in the future.

Make it Roon Ready, and I'm there.

Might be added later though firmware update, not finally settled yet.

You guys have Taylor Swift in DSD? :open_mouth:

If you check closely, it's both DSD and MQA, that's the only proper way how to listen to Hi-res! /s

Looks great! Maybe the the EM8 can have a detachable a screen which can be a portable DAP as well (kind of like how the Nintendo Switch works) @Shanling ?

These ideas always come up when we are talking about our streamers, issue is how to balance between the DAP and the base? Make the DAP's audio simple and nobody will care, just complain they spent extra money on unused DAC and useless battery. Make the DAP into high-end player on level of M7 and suddenly it makes more sense just to get M7 with 3.5mm to RCA cable and hook it up to amplifier. Not even mentioning that EM7 DAC implementation will always be better than anything you can fit into portable form.

The Nintendo switch shows it the same way, being primarily portable device, its docked performance suffers behind its rivals.

Looks interesting. Two dac chips?

We believe single ES9038Pro with its 8 channels is capable enough.

Looks really interesting. I see mention of a microSD slot, but I do not see one either front or back? Does the software allow for searching either a network drive or SD card by something other than title... i.e by composer, artist, album artist, genre?

MicroSD card slot is on top of device, under the titlable screen.

I will check on the exact search sorting, last version was able to switch between Title/album/artist/genre search.

I'm not at all bothered about Roon, but more information on the control app would be of great interest. Are the WIFI aerials built in?

It will be using our Eddict Player app, same way as our other streamers do. Allowing for simple control over locally stored files over Bluetooth or a complete screen mirroring over Wi-Fi.

Wi-Fi antenna is build-in, no external components for it.

Android 10 "close" .. does it mean ?
-> no PowerampEQ or Wavelet available ?
-> no apk installer for UAPP or Neutron Players ?
If so .. what about Parametric EQ ?

Users are unable to install other apps. There are pre-installed streaming apps and the core is Shanling Music player.
There is very basic EQ in Shanling music player (affecting only local files playback), no parametric EQ.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 18, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #36 of 97
With our EM line, we aim to offer an ideal all-in-one desktop solution for all headphone listeners. We started last year with the EM5 model, which packed a lot of features into a reasonably sized and very well priced package. Now we are pushing it further with the EM7, improving upon the EM5 in every single aspect, going for a High-End performance that will match any of the best Audiophile headphones.

EM7 - Stock HQ (1).jpg

Analog section of EM7 is designed around the flagship ESS DAC ES9038Pro, with its eight channels feeding a fully balanced amplifier, build on our proven OP+BUF architecture. This amplifier circuit was newly designed especially for EM7, matching the highly accurate and clean sound of the DAC, while providing strong power output for the most demanding headphones. Resulting in our best measuring and most powerful desktop DAC/AMP, offering up to 7W @ 32 Ohm // 1W @ 300 Ohm.

On the Streamer side, EM7 is running our closed and customized system, now build upon Android 10. Giving you access to a range of streaming services, local playback from MicroSD card or USB drives, DLNA, Airplay, NAS and even simple Bluetooth streaming. All run through our Android Global Lossless Output (AGLO) system, assuring the ideal audio performance from Android system. EM7 also switches to a faster Qualcomm Snapdragon 665 CPU, making for a significantly swifter system.

The most obvious part of the EM7 is its new tiltable display. Bigger 5.8-inch touch screen with 1080p resolution can be angled up to 60 degrees, allowing for an easy control no matter if it’s placed on a desk or on top of a Hi-Fi rack. And of course, there is always our Eddict player app, serving as a remote control for the local playback or as a complete screen mirroring, giving you access to all sections of EM7 directly from your phone.

EM7 - Live photos (5).jpg

Mixing both a streamer and a Hi-Fi DAC/AMP into one device can be tricky, but we took steps to limit any unwanted interference. DAC and amplifier are isolated from the Android section and we are utilizing an independent power supply for each, with a low-noise Noratel toroidal transformer for the Analog section and a high-quality switching power supply for the Android section.

EM7 is a truly versatile device, smoothly switching between its role as a high-end source for headphones, to a pure DAC with an optional pre-amplifier, to a digital source for your DACs with Coaxial, Optical or USB inputs. If you wish, you can even use it as a source for your Bluetooth headphones or speakers.

EM7 will be available on international markets in August, at MSRP of 2 099 USD/Euro.

EM7 - Live photos (7).jpg

Specification

Dimensions: 252 x 188 x 67.5 mm

Weight: 3.2kg

Display: 5.8-inch 1920*1080 IPS Touch screen

System: Based on Android 10, Closed and Customized

Hi-Res Support: Up to PCM 32bit / 768 kHz & DSD512

Bluetooth: Version 5.0, serving as both Receiver and transmitter

BT codec support: Receiver LDAC & SBC // Transmitter LDAC, aptX-HD, aptX, SBC

Wi-Fi: Dual band 2.4G & 5G

DAC: ESS ES9038Pro

Analog Section: OPA1611 based I/V conversion, OPA2211 based LPF, OPA2211+BD139+BD140 based Amplifier

Analog outputs: 4.4mm & XLR balanced, 3.5mm & 6.35mm Single-ended, with pair of RCA and XLR

Digital outputs: SPDIF Coaxial & Optical, USB Audio Output

Digital inputs: USB-B, Coaxial SPDIF & Optical, 2x USB port for USB drives, MicroSD card slot

Output power Single Ended: Up to 8.5V / 2.3W @ 32 Ohm // 9V / 270mW @ 300 Ohm

Output power Balanced: Up to 15V / 7W @ 32 Ohm // 18V / 1W @ 300 Ohm

Output Impedance: 1.2 Ohm SE // 2.4 Ohm BAL

Balanced THD+N: 0.0003%

Balanced Dynamic Range: 125 dB

Balanced SNR: 125 dB

Balanced Channel separation: 104dB
How many files will we able to index with usb drive connected? Roon server?

Jul 18, 2022 at 9:52 PM Post #37 of 97
How many files will we able to index with usb drive connected? Roon server?
For the library scan, that should be unlimited, in theory.

Roon is question of potential future update. Nothing settled yet.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 18, 2022 at 11:40 PM Post #38 of 97
For the library scan, that should be unlimited, in theory.

Roon is question of potential future update. Nothing settled yet.
You don’t have Roon, I am not aboard.
Ditch the top screen, not that practical plus looks tacky. With Roon the display becomes useless and you can put the money saved where it counts the most.
You almost got me there but you can get something powerful and highly customizable for way less.
oh drop the headphone port too, it’s a streamer not a headphone amp and again you can take that saving and make it more audiophile ready, whatever that means.

Let’s see what the EMX version will bring to the table.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2022 at 3:08 AM Post #40 of 97
Seems like a good successor to EM5!
I think it would also be interesting if Shanling decided to release something with smaller footprint as only a digital streamer or music server with clocker :)

Aug 7, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #43 of 97

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:46 AM Post #44 of 97
@Shanling any plans to release a similar device to this with the new AKM DACs?

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #45 of 97
Users are unable to install other apps. There are pre-installed streaming apps and the core is Shanling Music player.
There is very basic EQ in Shanling music player (affecting only local files playback), no parametric EQ.

So basically my Amazon Fire HD 10 Plus tablet standing in its landscape oriented Anker QI charger dock on top of my Questyle CMA Fifteen Heapdhone amp offers about the same functionality & visuals, with the difference that I can use UAPP as central streaming application ... Hmmm :thinking:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back