Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation Headphones from AudioQuest
May 5, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #391 of 422
The only difference is that there is no difference besides the finish, it is the same material, but with "Carbon" the outside layer is painted. Oh and accessories, instead of two cables and one set of ear pads you get one cable and two sets of cable.
If you have original NH, there is literally no reason in spending money on Carbon. In terms of sound both are the same.

May 8, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #392 of 422
May 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #393 of 422
I am interested in the Nightowl Carbon. I have never heard this headphone. I am wondering if wearing glasses causes any issue with getting a good seal which reduces sound quality for people ?

May 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #394 of 422
DW75 - wearing glasses is definitely an issue. I don't wear mine often, but when i do i have to place them over the top of the cups. The headphones require a decent seal in order to provide optimal sound quality.

May 18, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #396 of 422
As a fellow glasses wearer, I agree it affects the sound-- but not significantly. I still thoroughly enjoy them while wearing my glasses. But for the most satisfying immersive listening: glasses off. Actually, the main problem I have is with the microphonics, so to speak-- the sometimes rubbing sound of glasses arm on earpad. Curiously, it is not an issue at all with my older NH pair, but is an issue with the two newer pairs I got. Not sure why. Perhaps break-in?

May 18, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #398 of 422
I am still interested in this headphone. The arms on my glasses are not big at all. I am wondering if I could get away with using them without any sound quality loss. How big are yours on the arms ? Mine are probably 3mm high, and 1.25mm thick.

May 18, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #399 of 422
With the suede pads - wearing glasses affects the bass. That's the only thing I noticed really - but for sure a difference in sound.

Might not be a big deal for some, but I listen to electronic music so bass is important to me.

May 18, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #400 of 422
Not a fan of the microsuede pads (prefer the sound of the stock). Didn't test them regarding sound quality while wearing glasses.

Not sure of my glasses arms measurements. Not super large. Not significant enough in sound quality difference to worry about, for me at least.

May 18, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #401 of 422
Thanks for the quick responses, everyone. Once I get my refund in a couple days for the SRH1540 that I returned, I am going to get the Nightowl Carbon. I will put up my impressions once I get it.

May 19, 2018 at 6:40 AM Post #402 of 422
Hope you enjoy them!

I remember doing an A/B comparison in the audio shop between the NH and the 1540. While I liked the Shure, the NH was clearly better for me.

And just another oft-repeated statement about the NightHawk's: in my experience, break-in really does improve the sound. At least going by comparing my much-used pair and one I got just recently (same finish, same cable, etc). Mental adjustment to the sound signature is a factor, but it's clearly not all of it.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #404 of 422
I bought my Nightowl Carbon today. I will have it in the mail in the next few days. I have never heard any of the Audioquest headphones before. I am quite interested to see what it offers. I will put up my impressions after I get it, and then after burn in.

You'll be impressed. Amp it too (DFR works great with it).

May 29, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #405 of 422
You'll be impressed. Amp it too (DFR works great with it).

Dragonfly Red? So i have the Dragonfly 1.2 and i honestly believe my Macbook Pro sounds better. It might just be down to the power of the internal amp, but the dragonfly just doesn't cut it with these headphones. having said that i would like to know what people would recommend in the DAC/amp department.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back