Introducing NightOwl Carbon & NightHawk Carbon. Next Generation Headphones from AudioQuest
Nov 2, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #31 of 422

Music Direct sells the AudioQuest NightHawk balanced cable. Other than the termination, it looks just like the replacement SE cable AQ sent me to replace the dodgy original.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #33 of 422
Everytime I listen to the Original NightOwl from my HUGO I am amazed at musicality and comfort. My only issue was with the stock cable. I cant wait to check the two model out. 

Congrats!

Nov 2, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #36 of 422
Any impressions on sound isolation? I'm looking for a great sounding set of cans that I can use for the plane. Was wondering if impressions could be had in regard to that here, or if Skylar could say anything on the subject.

Nov 2, 2016 at 4:05 AM Post #38 of 422
Skylar hello, I'm an electronic and dance music fan. That said, I also listen to other club type music sometimes (such as R&B) and occasional alternative. Which one would be better for these genres in your opinion? Nightowl or Nighthawk Carbon? I admire your decision to stick to an affordable price point.

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #39 of 422
" but this is only the beginning of many more new headphone goodies that will land in the coming months. " anyone have any insite on this?

There will be an AQ IEM coming early 2017, and headphone stand for the existing headphones. I think, this is all, that the public knows so far.

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #40 of 422
  Everytime I listen to the Original NightOwl from my HUGO I am amazed at musicality and comfort. My only issue was with the stock cable. I cant wait to check the two model out. 

Congrats!

I just hope the cable would be improved in terms of physical design this time around haha

I've tried this cable and was quite happy with it using the Hex and NH. 

https://www.musicdirect.com/equipment/oppo-headphone-cable

Nov 2, 2016 at 7:27 AM Post #41 of 422
Any impressions on sound isolation? I'm looking for a great sounding set of cans that I can use for the plane. Was wondering if impressions could be had in regard to that here, or if Skylar could say anything on the subject.

The prototype NightOwls I tried at CanJam London 2016 were not particularly isolating; more isolating than the NightHawk but significantly less than some other closed back phones, this could also be heard in terms of sound leakage. The AudioQuest representatives on the stand agreed with this assessment. It is possible that the production phones are better but I believe this is unlikely as the structure and pads were supposedly near production standard. However, it is probably worth try for yourself if you have the chance.

Nov 2, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #42 of 422
Beautiful headphone.  I am very impressed with Audioquest as a company.  I love the sleek design and packaging of your products.  While I don't own any of your headphones yet, I do won the Dragonfly Red, the Jitterbug and Dragontail as well as several interconnects.  

Best of luck with the new line!

Nov 2, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #43 of 422
The prototype NightOwls I tried at CanJam London 2016 were not particularly isolating; more isolating than the NightHawk but significantly less than some other closed back phones, this could also be heard in terms of sound leakage. The AudioQuest representatives on the stand agreed with this assessment. It is possible that the production phones are better but I believe this is unlikely as the structure and pads were supposedly near production standard. However, it is probably worth try for yourself if you have the chance.

I see. Thanks. Am trying to look for something that sounds better and seals better than my V-Moda M-100s.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #44 of 422
  I see. Thanks. Am trying to look for something that sounds better and seals better than my V-Moda M-100s.

Nightowl probably crushes the M100 sonically but you may want to look into the Marshall Monitor which one of the best seals of any closed can I've heard. It sounds only slightly better than M100 imo, with the bigger soundstage, smoother treble and at least equal clarity. I believe you can also get it for less than $100 and you can demo it at most stores.

Nov 2, 2016 at 5:07 PM Post #45 of 422

Any sound improvement for NH Carbon versus the normal NH

The sound signature is exactly the same. Based on some small refinements that we've made to a handful of the parts, we have noticed tighter manufacturing tolerances and consistency of the new NightHawk Carbon. All things being equal (A/B NightHawk Wood vs NightHawk Carbon with same earpads and cable and same amount of break-in), I don't expect anyone to hear a difference, but I may be surprised by forthcoming press and user reviews.

But the new cable is an improvement, and the extra, alternative set of ultra-suede earpads makes it possible to tailor the new NightHawk Carbon to personal preference.

Both the new cable and earpads will be available separately so existing NightHawk owners can get in on the fun.

This is a shame. The NH has a lot of potential but sorely needs a cut in the mudd frequencies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back