Introducing MAS Audio Science X5h Headphones and X5i Earbuds - Studio Monitor Performance
Feb 11, 2019 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

64NOMIS

Member of the Trade: MAS Audio Science
Introducing MAS Audio Science X5h Headphones and X5i Earbuds - Studio Monitor Performance

MAS Audio Science has developed an audio sound system which offers studio-monitor performance in a compact earbud. Using 5 discrete drivers in a linear orientation, the MAS X5i delivers an audiophile music experience with 5Hz to 70KHz response. Also announced is our on-ear X5h headphones featuring new 40mm dynamic drivers with proprietary diaphragms and super lightweight aluminum-copper voice coils for 5Hz to 50KHz response. Both are now available on Amazon for less than $300. These designs share a response similar to the Harman curve with more energy below 1KHz and extended frequency response below 20Hz and above 20KHz.

If you have questions, feel free to message Simon - 64NOMIS - on Head-fi. He has recently posted testing the MAS X5i and X5h with demanding surround sound to stereo processors here on Head-fi.

In addition, if you are interested in previewing the units yourself we are passing units around to established members of the Head-fi community. Feel free to Direct Message 64NOMIS if you are interested!

Introducing The 5 Driver MAS Audio Science X5i Earbud Featuring 5Hz to 70KHz Response
Combining style, elite build quality and the unrivaled performance of our 5 linear-driver design, the MAS X5i delivers audiophile-class music for smartphones and mobile media players. Featuring high audio fidelity and musicality with extremely wide 5Hz to 70KHz frequency response. More information is at https://www.maslisten.com/mas-x5i online.

Five Linear Driver Design
Proprietary full-range 5 linear hybrid driver composed of quad Balanced Armature drivers to produce bass, mid, mid-high, high frequency and one specially tuned Dynamic driver to produce super bass. The X5i featuring high audio fidelity and musicality with extremely wide 5Hz to 70KHz frequency response is also High-Res Audio Certified.

Core Array Technology™
Core Array Technology™ aligns all components of the driver to increase efficiency, reduces distortion and produces unrivaled sound quality along with spacious soundstage.

b8d87b34-bdd7-486c-ab7f-e60722967a2f._CR63,0,4042,1250_PT0_SX970__.png

MAS AUDIO SCIENCE (MAS) develops the highest quality audiophile components with a focus on technology innovation and audio quality. Our in-house engineering and manufacturing allow us to deliver the best possible audio reproduction technology at the best possible value. As an experienced manufacturer of audiophile components for the most esteemed brands, we are able to combine all critical elements - durability, advanced technology, and audio quality in our own MAS Audio Science in-house designs.

MAS X5h Headphones
Combining style, elite build quality, and extremely linear response, the MAS X5h delivers audiophile-class music for smartphones and mobile media players. Featuring high audio fidelity and musicality with extended 5Hz to 50kHz frequency response, the MAS X5h has been awarded the Hi-Res Audio Headphone Certification by the Japan Audio Society. The X5h is ready for mobile use, featuring a foldable design and compatibility with MAS XX accessories including the XX Bluetooth Cable.

High Resolution Audiophile Grade Drivers
New 40mm dynamic drivers combine proprietary diaphragms and super lightweight aluminum-copper voice coils to produce precise mid, high and extended bass.

Core Array Technology™
Core Array Technology™ aligns all components of the driver to increase efficiency, reduces distortion and produces unrivaled sound quality along with spacious soundstage.

b05df78e-d677-4717-a49f-bcdc282e8b78._CR63,0,4042,1250_PT0_SX970__.png

Amazon Direct Links

AMAZON $299 MAS X5i Five Driver in-Ear Monitors Earphones, Hi-Res HiFi Headphones, Solid Bass, Spacious Reproduction, High Resolution, MMCX Detachable Cable, MEMS Mic in-Line Remote for Smartphones/PC/Tablet

AMAZON $299 MAS X5h Professional Studio Monitor Headphones, Lightweight Foldable, Hi-Res Hi-Fi Sound,Solid Bass, Spacious Reproduction, MMCX Detachable Silver Cable, MEMS Mic in-Line Remote

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 4:53 PM Post #4 of 26
Feb 11, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #5 of 26
Introducing MAS Audio Science X5h Headphones and X5i Earbuds

Do you know the difference between an earbud and an IEM? Asking for a friend :wink:

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #6 of 26
Do you know the difference between an earbud and an IEM? Asking for a friend :wink:

I think the definition has shifted over time as there has been a need to make a distinction between a molded monitor that is supported by your ear structure and in-canal monitors that may act similarly acoustically but do not rest inside the ear. We call them earbuds because they are not fully inset and supported by the structure of the ear.

"IEM" Monitors that are supported by the inner structure of the ear may have fit issues with different ear shapes and that is why originally these were mostly custom molded. And earbuds were used to describe the teardrop-shaped monitors but the term is now more broadly employed. I think that covers it, others may have additional comments.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2019 at 11:36 PM Post #7 of 26
Also announced is our over-ear X5h headphones
Hi,I might be interested in checking the full size headphones out,but there seems to be some disconnect between your claim that theyre "over-ear" and your Amazon page which claims theyre "on-ear".
Care to clarify?

Thanks.

Feb 11, 2019 at 11:50 PM Post #8 of 26
Hi,I might be interested in checking the full size headphones out,but there seems to be some disconnect between your claim that theyre "over-ear" and your Amazon page which claims theyre "on-ear".
Care to clarify?

Thanks.

It's my error and I have corrected the post - the X5h is "on-ear" not "over ear." I wrote both so I should know better.

As a side note, as I tested the X5h I found they had a generous pad and I never really noticed that they were on-ear. I have had comfort issues with the V-MODA Crossfade and other designs with a firmer pad that others may prefer. The X5h has a wide, and soft round pad that I can wear for extended sessions. Thanks for the catch.

Feb 12, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #9 of 26
It's my error and I have corrected the post - the X5h is "on-ear" not "over ear." I wrote both so I should know better.

As a side note, as I tested the X5h I found they had a generous pad and I never really noticed that they were on-ear. I have had comfort issues with the V-MODA Crossfade and other designs with a firmer pad that others may prefer. The X5h has a wide, and soft round pad that I can wear for extended sessions. Thanks for the catch.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #10 of 26
The use of MMCX on the X5h is an interesting choice but would allow going balanced easily.

Feb 12, 2019 at 1:05 AM Post #11 of 26
I think the definition has shifted over time as there has been a need to make a distinction between a molded monitor that is supported by your ear structure and in-canal monitors that may act similarly acoustically but do not rest inside the ear. We call them earbuds because they are not fully inset and supported by the structure of the ear.

"IEM" Monitors that are supported by the inner structure of the ear may have fit issues with different ear shapes and that is why originally these were mostly custom molded. And earbuds were used to describe the teardrop-shaped monitors but the term is now more broadly employed. I think that covers it, others may have additional comments.

Sorry I was just being facetious. Your original post suggested that your IEMs were earbuds, which is not at all accurate.
IEM's fit into the ear canal and earbuds hang on to the outer ear.

Actual earbuds have made a huge comeback reflected by one of the busiest threads here at Head-Fi.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/earbuds-round-up.441400/page-2663

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 12:59 PM Post #12 of 26
First, I appreciate the feedback and DM's regarding the loaner program. I am compiling a schedule and will send out first units starting Monday. If you haven't and want to see/learn more check out my post testing the X5h and X5i on the new (and unreleased) Creative Labs Super X-Fi AMP. The device is a technical marvel- 8 channels (7.1) algorithmically converted to 2 channel for simulated surround - with user ear-modeling and headphone-specific profiles. See 64NOMIS testing the MAS X5i and X5h with demanding surround sound to stereo processors here on Head-fi.

Feb 20, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #13 of 26
I've kept tabs on this company since 2016. It looks like what MAS did was recycle their exterior industrial design from the MAS Tokyo (a dual dynamic in-ear), and the MAS New York headphones, and changed out the insides to be updated for expectations in 2019. Personally, I prefer the previous naming schema (i.e. Tokyo, New York, Seattle, etc.) instead of this boring 'X5' thing. As I understand, this brand was always geared as a design conscious, fashion-first type of audio company, rather than anything targeted toward head-fiers. However, I suspect that they're pivoting toward the premium segment because the fashion/lifestyle segment is overcrowded. It remains to be seen whether the new acoustic design will meet the expectations of head-fiers. AFAIK, the core company behind MAS, Consonance Technology, is more of a product management/development/design studio, without production capability, while Sharptek handles all of this company's ODM/OEM needs. Certainly, it remains to be seen whether Consonance is in touch with the priorities of the head-fier. MAS has a demo unit kiosk close to where I live. I'll try to get a listen when I get the time.

Feb 20, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #14 of 26
I've kept tabs on this company since 2016. It looks like what MAS did was recycle their exterior industrial design from the MAS Tokyo (a dual dynamic in-ear), and the MAS New York headphones, and changed out the insides to be updated for expectations in 2019. Personally, I prefer the previous naming schema (i.e. Tokyo, New York, Seattle, etc.) instead of this boring 'X5' thing. As I understand, this brand was always geared as a design conscious, fashion-first type of audio company, rather than anything targeted toward head-fiers. However, I suspect that they're pivoting toward the premium segment because the fashion/lifestyle segment is overcrowded. It remains to be seen whether the new acoustic design will meet the expectations of head-fiers. AFAIK, the core company behind MAS, Consonance Technology, is more of a product management/development/design studio, without production capability, while Sharptek handles all of this company's ODM/OEM needs. Certainly, it remains to be seen whether Consonance is in touch with the priorities of the head-fier. MAS has a demo unit kiosk close to where I live. I'll try to get a listen when I get the time.

The principal reason we are here on head-fi is so that the community can ask us questions like this head on. Every company designs products and those design ideas evolve over time and the design sense often evolves, sometimes pivots. The X5i is a grounds-up design that shares only some aesthetic consistency shared by the prior generation. They are acoustically and technically audiophile grade IEMs. Having gained experience over time, the company decided to shed prior designs and focus on its most elite headphone ideas to make a real and substantial entry with new designs. I was the one who developed the new naming scheme, primarily because its not possible to create a lifestyle brand when your focus is on technical innovation, not marketing. The company chose to go old school and focus on technical excellence, and that jived with my own sense of what is right. I design my own loudspeakers - built my first pair 30 years ago - and today have the privilege of only working with technology companies that are working to get the technology and the experience right. Unlike companies focused on cost reduction, marketing, and other not-about-the-sound product attributes, this team is simply trying to get the sound and the tech right. Staying that course will require some folks to take the leap and try the product, hence creating a review pool, engaging in these conversations, and working to improve the ecosystem around the headphones with upcoming products.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back