Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Mar 5, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #301 of 4,765
I take it you just drag and drop DSD files the same as you do with FLAC onto the player? I've converted some tracks from FLAC to DSD using iRiver Media Centre but they're not showing up on the player even though they are on the SD card. Any ideas as to why? Thanks.

Mar 5, 2015 at 12:14 PM Post #302 of 4,765
Been listening to the PG on and off for a few hours now and finding it a tad too bright and fatiguing. Tried to play around with the EQ but the bass just sounds a bit bloated then.

Does the AK240 SQ have a bit more body to the music and less thin sounding?

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #303 of 4,765
  Been listening to the PG on and off for a few hours now and finding it a tad too bright and fatiguing. Tried to play around with the EQ but the bass just sounds a bit bloated then.

Does the AK240 SQ have a bit more body to the music and less thin sounding?

Please write your first impressions as for PG vs N6 (here on N6's thread).

Mar 5, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #304 of 4,765
  I take it you just drag and drop DSD files the same as you do with FLAC onto the player? I've converted some tracks from FLAC to DSD using iRiver Media Centre but they're not showing up on the player even though they are on the SD card. Any ideas as to why? Thanks.

DSD and PCM (flac etc.) are different formats. Converting flacs to DSD may not be so efficient.

Mar 5, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #307 of 4,765
Heard AK240 with Lcd xc was not impressed at all,and it lacks power.
Lotoo is more powerful with more detail and has a greater battery life.
Lotoo Paw Gold is an amazing value for money if you ask me vs AK240 and you will have enough left to buy a 512GB sdxc.

A few people have mentioned the same thing. There's no doubt about it, the PG is a gorgeous little player, very sturdy with great battery life too. I just hope the SQ gets a bit weightier with burn in as it sounds a little on the thin side to me at the moment.

Mar 6, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #308 of 4,765
^ The "thinness" is actually a testament to how transparent and well engineered the hardware and software is, the QA360 is similar, makes other daps sound "thick" and colored. The brutal transparency can lack musicality for some people, but for others its true music to their ears. Paw and QA360 are both letting you hear into the PCM file. A boost to analog type musicality can be obtained by playing DSD or even converting your pcm files to DSD, the change in sound is to do with how the bit stream is fed to the dac compared to pcm, its not about dsd being better, just different.

My hypothesis is that the 1 bit stream input of native dsd into a delta sigma dac actually does a good job simulating a ladder dac sound. The Tera uses a ladder dac and many people find it very analog and natural compared to other daps which use delta sigma dacs. So native dsd is to pcm what ladder dacs are to delta sigma dacs, analog and natural, that is what I am hearing anyway. Note that I'm not saying dsd is better than pcm or ladder is better than delta sigma, I'm just saying they sound different and you may prefer one over the other.

Mar 6, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #309 of 4,765
^ The "thinness" is actually a testament to how transparent and well engineered the hardware and software is, the QA360 is similar, makes other daps sound "thick" and colored. The brutal transparency can lack musicality for some people, but for others its true music to their ears. Paw and QA360 are both letting you hear into the PCM file. A boost to analog type musicality can be obtained by playing DSD or even converting your pcm files to DSD, the change in sound is to do with how the bit stream is fed to the dac compared to pcm, its not about dsd being better, just different.

My hypothesis is that the 1 bit stream input of native dsd into a delta sigma dac actually does a good job simulating a ladder dac sound. The Tera uses a ladder dac and many people find it very analog and natural compared to other daps which use delta sigma dacs. So native dsd is to pcm what ladder dacs are to delta sigma dacs, analog and natural, that is what I am hearing anyway. Note that I'm not saying dsd is better than pcm or ladder is better than delta sigma, I'm just saying they sound different and you may prefer one over the other.

I see, thanks. I did convert some PCM files to DSD but they're not showing up in the PG even though they're on the card. I think my ears are starting to get used to the sound now after hours of playback. Listening to Queen (Killer Queen PCM) last night sounded as if I was sitting next to Freddie as he played the piano, quite astonishing!

I know players need a bit of burn but I wouldn't have thought it would happen after 6 hours. I'm starting to really enjoy this player, I can't stop holding it either, it's a little beauty! It reminds me of some of the players, albeit on a smaller scale, that I had back in the 80s/90s.

Mar 7, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #310 of 4,765
hi all, i am interested in this player, can someone point me to where i can buy one in GZ?  and what is the street price?  PM me if it too sensitive.  I know Taobao;s price, is that what is being transacted on the street?

thanks

Mar 7, 2015 at 11:03 AM Post #311 of 4,765
Where is GZ?

Mar 8, 2015 at 3:38 AM Post #313 of 4,765
My PP has just entered into 'Fatal Error' mode.
Can't switch it off or reset it.
I am a little concerned as the unit is getting warmer by the hour.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

No worries now.
I had no choice but to let the battery run down completely.
After that, a full recharge and it was back to normal.
If anyone is interested in the error messages, please let me know and I will post it here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back