Introducing Lotoo PAW Gold
Apr 18, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #2,116 of 4,765
TBH, I don't think a defect in the unit can just cause lower SQ... Maybe your idea of the ideal sound just doesn't match with ours? What were your previous player and IEMs and which one was your favourite?

Used se846 a12 with mojo dx80 before. The best so far is a12 with the mojo via coaxial of the dx80. With the mojo i can turn up the volume without the highs ever bothering me.

with my lotoo paw, the highs feel piercing and i have to drastically lower the volume to feel comfortable thereby lowering all other frequencies. Hence the recessed mids/vocals.

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #2,117 of 4,765
Used se846 a12 with mojo dx80 before. The best so far is a12 with the mojo via coaxial of the dx80. With the mojo i can turn up the volume without the highs ever bothering me.

with my lotoo paw, the highs feel piercing and i have to drastically lower the volume to feel comfortable thereby lowering all other frequencies. Hence the recessed mids/vocals.

I've talked to 2 friends that both had extensive experience with the Mojo and the LPG (with different IEMs then yours though). They both said that the LPG has faster attack and decay in the treble, perhaps making it sharper sounding then the Mojo. They seemed to agree that the amount of treble was quite similar on both devices. Both agreed that, if money is not an issue, they would prefer the LPG for it's higher detail and more realistic tonality...

So that's their 2c worth
biggrin.gif
 It may be that the LPG just doesn't have good synergy with the A12. 

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:32 PM Post #2,118 of 4,765
Okay... Sooo after doing a LOT of listening i figured it out! (I think). The a12 doesnt pair well with LPG because it pushes the bass too hard. I think more so with the custom a12 vs the universal u12. Especially the sub bass. This muffled and congested everything.. Making me turn up the volume to hear details = piercing highs.

I found a solution though that might help others as well.. I am now using the line out and everything opened up. Less bass, bigger soundstage, a whole lot better sound all around at a lot lower volume.

I hope i am making some sense.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #2,119 of 4,765
I've talked to 2 friends that both had extensive experience with the Mojo and the LPG (with different IEMs then yours though). They both said that the LPG has faster attack and decay in the treble, perhaps making it sharper sounding then the Mojo. They seemed to agree that the amount of treble was quite similar on both devices. Both agreed that, if money is not an issue, they would prefer the LPG for it's higher detail and more realistic tonality...

So that's their 2c worth :D  It may be that the LPG just doesn't have good synergy with the A12. 

Thanks a lot for your help, i love the mojo but the LPG definitely has more details (both low and high end)i think it's a pairing problem.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:53 PM Post #2,120 of 4,765
Okay... Sooo after doing a LOT of listening i figured it out! (I think). The a12 doesnt pair well with LPG because it pushes the bass too hard. I think more so with the custom a12 vs the universal u12. Especially the sub bass. This muffled and congested everything.. Making me turn up the volume to hear details = piercing highs.

I found a solution though that might help others as well.. I am now using the line out and everything opened up. Less bass, bigger soundstage, a whole lot better sound all around at a lot lower volume.

I'm glad you found a solution that works for you, but I wouldn't hesitate to use EQ to lower the bass range.  

I've never quite understood the reluctance to use EQ.  Without using is, LPG is a good device.  With adjustments to EQ, it's fantastic and I can customize SQ that's perfect for me.

Apr 18, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #2,121 of 4,765

hello sorry but for me that makes no sense...the line out has at max 2 volts that is less than a ak240...with this you are to lie to "junk" the great ability of Paw Gold to drive full size headphones with is powerfull amplifier section ...but ok if you like that way go ahead

Apr 18, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #2,123 of 4,765
Definitely a compatability issue.

I am fairly new to this hobby so excuse some of my ignorance. With regards to eq, i dont know which frequency to cut exactly. All i did for now was use line out and cut at 8000hz HSF at -1db.

I know line out isnt ideal but making the most with what i got and it sounds fantasic to my ears. Better than the mojo.

P.S. A12 has a new ADEL module out thats supposed to reduce lower end, hoping that might help.

Edit: "Brighter" ATE through phone out seems to work as well.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #2,124 of 4,765

I am fairly new to this hobby so excuse some of my ignorance. With regards to eq, i dont know which frequency to cut exactly. All i did for now was use line out and cut at 8000hz HSF at -1db.

I know line out isnt ideal but making the most with what i got and it sounds fantasic to my ears. Better than the mojo.

P.S. A12 has a new ADEL module out thats supposed to reduce lower end, hoping that might help.

I'm certainly no expert (not by a long shot!), but if you're interested in rolling back your bass response, I would think 8000Hz is much too high.  I'd be looking to reduce the 30-50Hz range.

Apr 18, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #2,125 of 4,765

I'm certainly no expert (not by a long shot!), but if you're interested in rolling back your bass response, I would think 8000Hz is much too high.  I'd be looking to reduce the 30-50Hz range.

For LPG + A12,  -3dB reduction at 60Hz does the trick for anybody who finds low end impact a bit overwhelming.  ADEL B1 filter (vs default S1) reduces bass as well.  For me personally, going with universal U12 also gave an improvement since tip rolling will vary the seal and can get low end under control.

Apr 18, 2016 at 8:41 PM Post #2,126 of 4,765
I mean if you hate bass, why A12? So many better options for your taste out there...

Apr 18, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #2,127 of 4,765
I suggest clicking on the "LOTTO PMEQ" link in my signature and try installing and using that. In my view, the LPG requires a slight rebalancing of treble and mids to address treble fatigue. With this tweak, it is my favourite DAP. 

Hi,

Hope you don't mind to share your PMEQ setting for me. Would it be possible to share the link?

Apr 19, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #2,130 of 4,765
For LPG + A12,  -3dB reduction at 60Hz does the trick for anybody who finds low end impact a bit overwhelming.  ADEL B1 filter (vs default S1) reduces bass as well.  For me personally, going with universal U12 also gave an improvement since tip rolling will vary the seal and can get low end under control.

This definitely did the trick! Thanks a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back