Introducing Lola, a new headphone from Blue Microphones
Oct 27, 2015 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62
Today, out-of-the-Blue (both figuratively and literally), Blue Microphones announces the release of their newest headphone, the Lola.
 ​

The new Lola builds on Blue's success with their Mo-Fi headphone, while responding to specific suggestions for improvement.  As such, the Lola is neither a successor nor a total re-imagining of the Mo-Fi.  Rather, it is an extension, distillation and refinement of concepts first introduced in the Mo-Fi when it was launched last year (2014).  The main differences in the Lola are as follows:

1. Passive Output:  The Lola does not include a built-in amp like the Mo-Fi does.  For me, this makes perfect sense as the Mo-Fi's passive mode offered me the best overall balance in terms of frequency response.  By removing the amp, I no longer have to deal with having to charge the headphone.  I also don't have to bear the weight of an amp or its associated components (like batteries).

1. Re-Engineered Gimbals:  While the superstructure remains the same, Blue has re-engineered the gimbals for an easier and more comfortable fit.  And while this is a subtle modification, it does lead to a more significant change in the form of...

1. Streamlined Design:  Along with the new and improved gimbal design, and the resulting improvement in comfort, there now less of a need for the tension adjustment mechanism that was built into the top of the headband.  As such, it has been removed from the Lola.  This reduces complexity, points of failure, and most importantly - weight.

1. Improved Accessories:  If you've seen Jude's original announcement video for the Blue Mo-Fi, you'll know that one criticism he had with it was the lack of physical (tactile) markings on its MFI cable's remote module.  Thankfully, that has also been addressed on the Lola's new MFI cable, as the center button is now prominently marked.  By the way, the Lola's MFI cable is now 1.5 meters long compared to the Mo-Fi's 1-meter long cable.

1. Reduced & Redistributed Weight:  Due to the removal of the tension adjustment mechanism - as well as the removal of the built-in amp - the new Lola is now noticeably lighter than the Mo-Fi.  Whereas the Mo-Fi weighed in at 466 grams, the new Lola is now 397 grams.  In addition, since the tension adjustment mechanism has been removed from the top of the headband, the overall weight has been redistributed away from the top of the head... resulting in a reduced hot spot and a headphone that feels lighter than it is.

1. Two Colors/Finishes:  The Lola will be available in two matte finishes, Charcoal Black and Pearl White.  I would imagine that the Charcoal Black would be most preferred... but then again, I also didn't think white iPhones would be as popular as they are.  Too tough to call at this point.

1. Lower Priced:  As one would expect, the new Lola will be priced lower than its big brother, at $249.99 versus the Mo-Fi's $349.99.

Now, just to be clear, I have not yet heard the production version of the Lola as of this posting.  Evaluation units of production Lolas are so rare, that the very first units are just now being rushed out.  I'm in the queue for a unit, and I look forward to posting some in-depth impressions soon.  However, since the Lola and Mo-Fi share the same driver, I don't expect the Lola to sound any worse than a Mo-Fi in passive mode, so I don't imagine we'll be in for any big surprises there.  If anyone out there has heard the production version though, and has some impressions to share, by all means please post them!  
smile.gif

Overall, I think Blue is on the right track with their trickle-down and refinement strategy.  And I love the way they are squarely taking aim at the consumer market with the Lola.  As John Maier (Blue Microphones's CEO) said, "popular mass-marketed headphones don’t live up to their hype, robbing listeners of the emotional impact that can come from listening to their favorite music. For those who won’t settle for the overhyped, we’ve created Lola."  As a Head-Fier, I certainly agree with him on that point, and I hope the Lola does well against the competition.

BTW, I would expect that the Lola will be available wherever the Mo-Fi is sold, so I'm guessing that Amazon, Best Buy, etc. will have them soon.  However, in calling around, I'd learned that Guitar Center expects to have units in stock very soon.  So if you're hoping to get some ear time with them, I'd call your local GC to see if they have them in stock.

Blue Microphones's Lola in Charcoal Black (matte):

Blue Microphones's Lola in Pearl White (matte):

Blue Microphones's Lola worn:

Blue Microphones's page about the Lola:  http://blue-headphones.com/lola.php

Oct 27, 2015 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 62
  very nice! I would love to check it out in white. :)

Lol, I knew you would want the white one!  
biggrin.gif
  Don't you need both though?  For archival purposes?

Oct 27, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #4 of 62
Nice!  It looks like with the Lola, they have addressed just about every issue I had with the Mo-Fi.

And for $250, these are looking really good!  
L3000.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #6 of 62
  Nice!  It looks like with the Lola, they have addressed just about every issue I had with the Mo-Fi.

And for $250, these are looking really good!  
L3000.gif

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm thinking!  I love it when companies listen (and respond) to our suggestions.  
smile.gif

Oct 27, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 62
Thanks Warren! 
smile.gif
  Keep us updated, and please advise when you get a chance to hear them. I really like the original Blue in "passive"/no amp mode.

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:15 AM Post #9 of 62
Finally!! I have been waiting for a lighter, passive, and less expensive Mo-Fi! I think this may push me towards purchasing the Lola.

beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #10 of 62
  The headphones are called Lola, a girl's name, but they look equally cool on the hot male model 
beyersmile.png
. Very nice, please keep me posted. 

I like their look, it's very unique and sets them apart in a good way from the rest of the headphones.  

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #11 of 62
  Thanks Warren! 
smile.gif
  Keep us updated, and please advise when you get a chance to hear them. I really like the original Blue in "passive"/no amp mode.

Of course!  Still the same track, or is there a new/updated reference?  
wink.gif
  BTW, there's a new Trashcan Sinatras album coming out soon.  Yes, they are still alive and kicking.

The headphones are called Lola, a girl's name, but they look equally cool on the hot male model 
beyersmile.png
. Very nice, please keep me posted. 

I like their look, it's very unique and sets them apart in a good way from the rest of the headphones.  

Lol, from my experience, girls tend to look pretty cool with hot male models as well  
biggrin.gif
 which doesn't exactly work out for me as I'm sooooo not a hot male model.  
frown.gif

Finally!! I have been waiting for a lighter, passive, and less expensive Mo-Fi! I think this may push me towards purchasing the Lola.
beerchug.gif

Just out of curiosity, what other headphones are you considering?  Or alternatively, what are your sonic preferences?  
smile.gif

Here's the thing guys - and this is my main question or concern about the Lola at the moment - I can't be entirely sure that the Lola sounds the same as the Mo-Fi.  Blue has confirmed that they are using the exact same driver, but depending on how the amp/batteries/PCB(s) were physically implemented, I don't know if their removal alters the acoustics at all.  I would assume that it sounds identical (within build variance) but I'd have to get some ear time with it to know for sure.

Oct 28, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #12 of 62

Of course!  Still the same track, or is there a new/updated reference?  
wink.gif
  BTW, there's a new Trashcan Sinatras album coming out soon.  Yes, they are still alive and kicking.

Yes...same track. If you can stand to hear it again?
biggrin.gif
 That is great news. Took me a while to get ahold of their last one "In The Music" and I'm still listening to it. I see nothing yet on amazon.co.uk about a new one but I can wait....

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #14 of 62
  Just out of curiosity, what other headphones are you considering?  Or alternatively, what are your sonic preferences?  
smile.gif

When I bought my PSB M4U 1 I essentially stopped looking at other headphones as they are not only extremely accurate/transparent, but it's the sound sig (on-axis speaker FR curve) that I had been searching for since I moved from (expensive) loudspeakers to headphones for my main listening preference.

However, much like the M4U 1, the MoFi was considered a sleeper hit; From what I have read the two are very close in overall refinement and FR curve. As with PSB's M4U 2, the MoFi has an active amplifier, which I don't want nor need. When the passive M4U 1 was announced I was excited, and thus like the MoFi when the Lola was announced....well.....I must have!

beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #15 of 62

When I bought my PSB M4U 1 I essentially stopped looking at other headphones as they are not only extremely accurate/transparent, but it's the sound sig (on-axis speaker FR curve) that I had been searching for since I moved from (expensive) loudspeakers to headphones for my main listening preference.

However, much like the M4U 1, the MoFi was considered a sleeper hit; From what I have read the two are very close in overall refinement and FR curve. As with PSB's M4U 2, the MoFi has an active amplifier, which I don't want nor need. When the passive M4U 1 was announced I was excited, and thus like the MoFi when the Lola was announced....well.....I must have!

beerchug.gif

Like you, I waited for the M4U 1 to be available as extra stuff in the headphones just irk me. (lol). I would definitely like the try these Lola's! But hopefully the sound wont be as "soft" as the M4U 1s! :xf_eek: :xf_eek:

(yeah I know, different tastes and all... :wink:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back