Introducing Lina: A new dCS system, purpose built for headphone listeners
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #136 of 215
Uhhh..Weiss 501/502. Better built, more features, and better sounding. You can skip Lina and Bartok go straight to Emm Labs DV2 or Linn Klimax Organik from Weiss. Nothing in between is really worth upgrading to.

I would normally say Linn Akurate DS or Emm Labs dac2x are better than Weiss, but it's not at "god damn" level of improvement so not really worth it IMO.
Not looking to upgrade. Just received info that my local agent has gotten the Lina stack, specifically the dac and the clock in and I was wondering how that would stack up against my Wavedream Signature. How would you rate the Wavedream against DCS, Weiss, Emm Labs and Linn's offering?

Jul 16, 2022 at 2:27 PM Post #137 of 215
Not looking to upgrade. Just received info that my local agent has gotten the Lina stack, specifically the dac and the clock in and I was wondering how that would stack up against my Wavedream Signature. How would you rate the Wavedream against DCS, Weiss, Emm Labs and Linn's offering?
I haven't had the chance to compare Wavedream with dCS/EmmLabs/Linn/MSB. You should just do your own work at this price range. At this price, it pays to buy a $500 plane ticket and travel to listen to these gear.

I accidentally "discovered" Emm Labs and Weiss while I was shopping around for dac. I just started listening to whatever dealers had in their inventory. Linn was a bit tricky - not every Linn dealer will let you try Linn gear with non-Linn setup.

After you have listened to a few dozen high-priced dacs you will know what you like right away when you hear it (even if the dac was on the floor, using some cheap toslink and the $1 power cord manufacturers include in their box). You honestly don't need to read any reviews or listen to anyone's opinion.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #138 of 215
You should just do your own work at this price range. At this price, it pays to buy a $500 plane ticket and travel to listen to these gear.
Again not looking to upgrade just wanted to know your opinions on these dacs since you've mentioned. Part of the fun is reading about and listening to a variety of gears. No sane person will ever thought to upgrade anything in this price range without comparing first hand.

Jul 16, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #139 of 215
I respect dCS and what they are doing for the headphone space.

If you don't like it fine, that's not my problem. If it's above your price threshold then that's fine too. But please don't ruin it for the rest of us.

I listened to a dCS Lina DAC. It was fantastic. It was also very pricey. For three thousand dollars less I decided to go with Weiss.

But the Lina DAC is an outstanding DAC!

I ordered a Weiss DAC501- 4Ch. I will meet Daniel Weiss in-person in Zurich this coming week and I'll take possession in-person.

I decided on Weiss this time but next time I could very well go with dCS. I like to keep an open-mind.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #142 of 215
This is a respected company that has an long history in the two-channel space.

The Lina line has been designed for the headphone listener. They are taking knowledge gained and using it to earn a place in our headphone space.

I appreciate that.
Yes, that's the marketing blurb, but nothing of substance.
Expanse is the only headphone related feature and the only reason I'm borderline interested in hearing the Lina, but that's been available in the Bartok since the beginning. Being a fanboy is fine, as long as you don't kid yourself in regards to what you're getting. Most people don't buy gear based on brand prestige. People who do are actually looking for status symbols.

Jul 16, 2022 at 4:41 PM Post #143 of 215

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #144 of 215
Seems kind of strange to bust through the headphone hobby door, with a $30k product right out the gate...
Yes, I know they've been around, but seems kind of risky... Many already superb products to pick from....
I'm looking at a Sony ES DAC/AMP myself...

Jul 16, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #145 of 215
I think it is fine to be skeptical or critical of DCS here, but some comments are polarized almost to the point of absurdity. I trust people who have actually listened to this system. So far it is a yea for the DAC and clock, and nay for the amp.

As mentioned earlier, I did own a Bartok for a while and this system does seem to improve on some things for a HP listener: more power for the headphone amp, analog volume control instead of digital, apparently easier voicing on the DAC (Bartok was too harsh in my system), and a more cost effective external clock vs adding a Rossini clock.

The build quality of DCS stuff is top notch, yes the brand prestige over-prices their whole lineup, and it's not a universally loved flavor of sound. (to be fair, UK manufacturing probably increases the price significantly) They don't needlessly cut corners, and have a resolving sound quality. This system, or individual parts of it, might not match the hype, but you aren't being scammed. Come on.

Jul 16, 2022 at 5:32 PM Post #146 of 215
it gets a bit heated on the DCS related forums!!

I don't think I care too much if some engineering wunderkind creates a beautiful, functional world beating DAC/amp from £15 of parts and decides to sell it for $50k - I think a lot of the people on the forum just want to hear if it's worth getting to the nearest DCS dealer, potentially hauling their existing kit with them for ABing, to establish whether the switch is likely to be a realistic possibility

i don't think anyone doubts DCS capabilities, but the amp is up against some pretty well-established and well reviewed competition, its supported by a pretty substantial sales/marketing/dealer network - so its only reasonable to be a little suspicious and want to hear the feedback from members who have actually heard the lina amp and other well regarded amps

Jul 16, 2022 at 7:59 PM Post #147 of 215
What background do you have to access parts in this?

If you're so skilled and crafty, why don't you just gaff us all off and listen yourself in silence.

This forum is for those of us who value innovation into the headphone space.

If you'd like to collect parts and assemble you're own superior electronics then please do.

Charlatan!

Funny!
I’m a DIYer enthusiast.
I actually built my own amplifiers, have never used a cheap RK27.

Hopes this helps your innovative journey through head fi.

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:19 PM Post #148 of 215
Funny!
I’m a DIYer enthusiast.

Good to see you around, John.

I've already boo'ed this Lina.

Shrugs.

Jul 16, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #149 of 215
Funny!
I’m a DIYer enthusiast.

Top is KGSS with golden reference ps?
What is the one on the bottom?

Very nice regardless 👍

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back