Introducing Head-Fi Classifieds!
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #303 of 448
No offense, but this doesn't actually fix anything since the scammers have been using WTB ads to contact people who are legitimate buyers. They're not usually posting brand new items in the classifieds section. So, by allowing "2FA will not be required to view listings or to contact listing creators", nothing has been fixed by this change, and just an additional layer of security has been added to...the area where there was no problem to begin with. Now, if you wanted to enable 2FA to contact a listing creator, that would in fact help to solve the problem. My $.02.
It’s your responsibility to be vigilant.

Be mindful & perceptive.

A deal too good to be true is a strong noob trap

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 26, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #304 of 448
This 2 step verification won't solve anything but whatever... I activated it and cannot even leave feedback on some stuff that I sold last week.
Has anyone done it successfully?

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #305 of 448
This 2 step verification won't solve anything but whatever... I activated it and cannot even leave feedback on some stuff that I sold last week.
Has anyone done it successfully?
From our FAQ:

Q: I just enabled 2FA on my profile, why can I still not create/edit/bump/close a listing?
A: There are a number of checks and verifications that our system runs when someone enables 2FA on their profile, and it's possible to help the process along by logging out after enabling 2FA and then log in again. Please note that after enabling 2FA it may take up to an hour for access to Head-Fi Classifieds to be granted. The requirement for 2FA is in addition to our 30 day and 15 post requirements, so all three requirements must be met before a Head-Fi'er can post in Head-Fi Classifieds.

Please log out and log back in with 2FA enabled, and it could take up to an hour before the system reflects the change.

Apr 26, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #306 of 448
From our FAQ:

Q: I just enabled 2FA on my profile, why can I still not create/edit/bump/close a listing?
A: There are a number of checks and verifications that our system runs when someone enables 2FA on their profile, and it's possible to help the process along by logging out after enabling 2FA and then log in again. Please note that after enabling 2FA it may take up to an hour for access to Head-Fi Classifieds to be granted. The requirement for 2FA is in addition to our 30 day and 15 post requirements, so all three requirements must be met before a Head-Fi'er can post in Head-Fi Classifieds.

Please log out and log back in with 2FA enabled, and it could take up to an hour before the system reflects the change.
Thanks, sir.

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #307 of 448
From our FAQ:

Thanks!

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #308 of 448
It’s your responsibility to be vigilant.

Be mindful & perceptive.

A deal too good to be true is a strong noob trap
yeah, you really need to be careful when sending money around. People are so trusting that it is easy to fall prey to a scammer.

I could easily get someone to send me a Paypal Friends and Family payment today for $1050. The question is if he did it, would it be a wise decision?

Apr 26, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #311 of 448
yeah, you really need to be careful when sending money around. People are so trusting that it is easy to fall prey to a scammer.

I could easily get someone to send me a Paypal Friends and Family payment today for $1050. The question is if he did it, would it be a wise decision?
I see what you did there hehe.

I trust you :)

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Apr 26, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #312 of 448
No offense, but this doesn't actually fix anything since the scammers have been using WTB ads to contact people who are legitimate buyers. They're not usually posting brand new items in the classifieds section. So, by allowing "2FA will not be required to view listings or to contact listing creators", nothing has been fixed by this change, and just an additional layer of security has been added to...the area where there was no problem to begin with. Now, if you wanted to enable 2FA to contact a listing creator, that would in fact help to solve the problem. My $.02.
Just want to whole-heatedly agree. head fi-er for more than a decade, never a single issue with a transaction except for scam requests.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #313 of 448
@AxelCloris while a longtime lurker, am 'new' as a member, with all that entails regarding the weight of my personal opinion.. but if i may express it;
In order to accommodate the needs of the 'few', you are inconveniencing the 'many'.
Am not sure how hard it is for some people not to fall into silly pitfalls such as:
- Nigerian prince deal; he said they said you're selling; e-mail my friend, he wants to buy your gear!
- I can only 'gift' but hey!
- Seller's account's hacked and a scammer. So what? You done the purchase right, Paypal refund 100% of the time.
- (and don't give me the stolen CC excuse, it's why we have Paypal in the first place)

But, apparently, it is hard; some people need everything spelled out for them, held by the hand and gently, geently lead on to what for everyone else is.. basic to be honest.
Good for you to attempt to assist, with whatever extra cost (in time and budget) this has for you.
But when said assistance comes at the cost of inconveniencing the many?

And now i see certain people, of said same 'some people' category, requesting 2FA for buyers too.
Just how many loops are you going to add, before folks just aren't willing to bother anymore?
Just how complicated must our lives become for the sake of the few? Not rhetorical anymore either.
Most especially, again, when we're talking about self evident stuff here, doesn't take an Einstein exactly now does it.

It's your shop, your rules, they will naturally be respected 100%. But kindly, kindly, either reconsider the lot of it or at the very least leave buyers alone.

We make it easy to pay. Market 1-0-1.
The harder you make it for a customer to pay you money, the higher the chances they'll go elsewhere.
You have something going here, all i see is your stiffling it. No offense meant, just being honest.
Myself and few people I know were scammed. And yes it was non gift PP, scammers get smarter these days to circumvent some protection, like delaying shipping, faking shipping labels, anything to withdraw money and close account before you start panicking.
Lucky me I've got my money back, but it was quite an ordeal and nerve wrecking experience.

Thanks to head-fi staff for putting extra protection in place, should have done long time ago.
Also please add requirement for classifieds ads pictures to have a note with timestamp and user name as additional proof that seller actually owns the item.

Apr 26, 2023 at 3:36 PM Post #314 of 448
Myself and few people I know were scammed. And yes it was non gift PP, scammers get smarter these days to circumvent some protection, like delaying shipping, faking shipping labels, anything to withdraw money and close account before you start panicking.
Lucky me I've got my money back, but it was quite an ordeal and nerve wrecking experience.

Thanks to head-fi staff for putting extra protection in place, should have done long time ago.
Also please add requirement for classifieds ads pictures to have a note with timestamp and user name as additional proof that seller actually owns the item.
THIS! Bravo! Finally someone said this! thank you!

Apr 26, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #315 of 448
Anyone wishing to sell their items online via other methods are welcome to do so via a variety of different sites, but here on Head-Fi protected methods are a requirement.
That's very US-centric approach. PayPal in Europe isn't that popular and not without a reason. In EU we use bank transfers mostly. It's cheap, reliable and could be easily tracked later by police if the need arises. You can't open bank account without showing your government issued ID. Criminals never use normal bank transfer, they are always trying to lure you into some online intermediary platforms (PayPal as well) to use an additional link behind which you can hide the identity of the recipient of money.

Another problem is PayPal conversion rate. I live in Poland and if somebody pays me in USD or EUR I can't withdraw funds in USD or EUR to my bank account. I'm forced to convert money into PLN before withdrawal. PayPal conversion rate is always worse than normal bank exchange rate, so I actually pay twice: once openly when the PayPal is charging me a commission, and the second time is hidden when the PayPal is forcing me to exchange currency at a bad rate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back