Introducing Head-Fi Classifieds!
Apr 26, 2023 at 3:01 AM Post #286 of 448
Another fix i would like to see coming is on iphone safari pinch-to-zoom on, that it reverts back to 100% mo matter what i rey

Apr 26, 2023 at 5:16 AM Post #288 of 448
Great work, 2 factor is a must these days.

Apr 26, 2023 at 6:46 AM Post #289 of 448
@AxelCloris - Thanks for the security update. My 2 cents on G&S vs FF payments. I think when you list an item & you have a new buyer who never purchased from you before…the extra protection with G&S makes sense because anything can happen in shipping or the listing is untruthful or item not as described. On the flip side, sellers build reputations within the community (buyers) and you have repeat customers. They sometimes elect F&F on their own or negotiate for a better price with the FF option. Mostly referring to domestic transactions and not international. It’s very risky to do FF Internationally as I have seen that go awry and never good. I think the extra security for the too good to be true listings or scammers is a great thing to combat. But I don’t think every FF request is cause for red flag 🚩 - but doing your due diligence and walking away from a transaction or reporting it if it seems fraudulent is the best option. I just don’t want people to think every FF request from a reputable seller is a bad guy but I get the rules and why G&S is the standard.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #290 of 448
If have enabled 2FA but still do not see the "new listing button".
What's the magic trick?
Thx

EDIT: ok, the magic trick is, to logout and login by 2FA again. :wink: all good

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 8:34 AM Post #291 of 448
No offense, but this doesn't actually fix anything since the scammers have been using WTB ads to contact people who are legitimate buyers. They're not usually posting brand new items in the classifieds section. So, by allowing "2FA will not be required to view listings or to contact listing creators", nothing has been fixed by this change, and just an additional layer of security has been added to...the area where there was no problem to begin with. Now, if you wanted to enable 2FA to contact a listing creator, that would in fact help to solve the problem. My $.02.
I'm with you on this one. As other forums, would be good to have 2FA for posters and commenters. Also a minimum number of posts in the forum to be able to comment/post in the classifieds.

Apr 26, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #292 of 448
@AxelCloris while a longtime lurker, am 'new' as a member, with all that entails regarding the weight of my personal opinion.. but if i may express it;
In order to accommodate the needs of the 'few', you are inconveniencing the 'many'.
Am not sure how hard it is for some people not to fall into silly pitfalls such as:
- Nigerian prince deal; he said they said you're selling; e-mail my friend, he wants to buy your gear!
- I can only 'gift' but hey!
- Seller's account's hacked and a scammer. So what? You done the purchase right, Paypal refund 100% of the time.
- (and don't give me the stolen CC excuse, it's why we have Paypal in the first place)

But, apparently, it is hard; some people need everything spelled out for them, held by the hand and gently, geently lead on to what for everyone else is.. basic to be honest.
Good for you to attempt to assist, with whatever extra cost (in time and budget) this has for you.
But when said assistance comes at the cost of inconveniencing the many?

And now i see certain people, of said same 'some people' category, requesting 2FA for buyers too.
Just how many loops are you going to add, before folks just aren't willing to bother anymore?
Just how complicated must our lives become for the sake of the few? Not rhetorical anymore either.
Most especially, again, when we're talking about self evident stuff here, doesn't take an Einstein exactly now does it.

It's your shop, your rules, they will naturally be respected 100%. But kindly, kindly, either reconsider the lot of it or at the very least leave buyers alone.

We make it easy to pay. Market 1-0-1.
The harder you make it for a customer to pay you money, the higher the chances they'll go elsewhere.
You have something going here, all i see is your stiffling it. No offense meant, just being honest.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #293 of 448
Any plans to support hardware keys like YubiKey?
Support for hardware keys is not currently on our development roadmap, but we'll gladly share the idea with our team for their feedback.

To make it really effective, it would also have to be necessary to be able to send PM.
There are reasons outside of Head-Fi Classifieds that require access to PMs, for example reaching out to moderators or admins if questions arise. We do not have any plans to require 2FA for access to private messages.

No offense, but this doesn't actually fix anything since the scammers have been using WTB ads to contact people who are legitimate buyers. They're not usually posting brand new items in the classifieds section. So, by allowing "2FA will not be required to view listings or to contact listing creators", nothing has been fixed by this change, and just an additional layer of security has been added to...the area where there was no problem to begin with. Now, if you wanted to enable 2FA to contact a listing creator, that would in fact help to solve the problem. My $.02.
We understand that this is not a "magic bullet" to stop all scam attempts on the site, but we do believe it adds an additional layer of protection for the Head-Fi community. While responding to Want to Buy ads is something scammers may do, we have seen new listings created on compromised accounts.

We have quite a bit of information available to help inform Head-Fi'ers on what to look for to avoid being scammed when buying and selling on Head-Fi Classifieds, and the advice recommended her on our site can also be applied anywhere one shops online. Using secure payment methods is the first and most critical method, which is why we require them for all transactions. Please feel free to review our Trading Advisory, which was updated last month with new information, our Head-Fi Classifieds Rules & Guidelines, and our Head-Fi Classifieds FAQ for more.

It’s also been said that selling review gear is strictly prohibited.
This is correct. Please see our Head-Fi Classifieds Rules & Guidelines for a full list of items that are not allowed for sale on Head-Fi Classifieds.

Apr 26, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #294 of 448
@AxelCloris while a longtime lurker, am 'new' as a member, with all that entails regarding the weight of my personal opinion.. but if i may express it;
In order to accommodate the needs of the 'few', you are inconveniencing the 'many'.
Am not sure how hard it is for some people not to fall into silly pitfalls such as:
- Nigerian prince deal; he said they said you're selling; e-mail my friend, he wants to buy your gear!
- I can only 'gift' but hey!
- Seller's account's hacked and a scammer. So what? You done the purchase right, Paypal refund 100% of the time.
- (and don't give me the stolen CC excuse, it's why we have Paypal in the first place)

But, apparently, it is hard; some people need everything spelled out for them, held by the hand and gently, geently lead on to what for everyone else is.. basic to be honest.
Good for you to attempt to assist, with whatever extra cost (in time and budget) this has for you.
But when said assistance comes at the cost of inconveniencing the many?

And now i see certain people, of said same 'some people' category, requesting 2FA for buyers too.
Just how many loops are you going to add, before folks just aren't willing to bother anymore?
Just how complicated must our lives become for the sake of the few? Not rhetorical anymore either.
Most especially, again, when we're talking about self evident stuff here, doesn't take an Einstein exactly now does it.

It's your shop, your rules, they will naturally be respected 100%. But kindly, kindly, either reconsider the lot of it or at the very least leave buyers alone.

We make it easy to pay. Market 1-0-1.
The harder you make it for a customer to pay you money, the higher the chances they'll go elsewhere.
You have something going here, all i see is your stiffling it. No offense meant, just being honest.
I disagree. I think this new action is a quick and easy first step toward providing more security for the Classifieds. This only impacts people who sell in the Classifieds. That is not the whole community. And, it's a free service. If you want a more secure system, you can pay to put your items for sale on eBay. I am a frequent buyer in the classifieds and this will provide me with more confidence in buying products from it. I had said that I was going to suspend all buying activities in the classifieds until the coast was clear. I think this is enough for me to start buying again. But, I am going to vet sellers before I buy and use reasonable precautions going forward like continuing using Paypal G&S. Not making a payment if the name on the Paypal account does not match the name on the headfi account. And making sure the poster is the same as the one who was previously posting on head fi. I won't focus on any one thing, but there are many ways to vet a seller like having them friend you on Facebook. I have a number of friends who have been scammed in the classifieds and I was almost a victim myself. If this ever happened to you, you would want someone to do something about it. I think the current moves are a great first step in the right direction. Enabling 2FA is prudent and easy to do.

Apr 26, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #295 of 448
To make it really effective, it would also have to be necessary to be able to send PM.
Most of the problems that have occurred have been due to responses to "want to buy" posts.
Easy solution. If you place a want to buy ad and someone contacts you, have them place a classified ad on headfi and then buy from it. You as the buyer need to implement some security measures when you invite anyone to offer you product. If the seller places a simple ad, you know the person is the owner of that head fi account. Often times, that is enough to prevent a scammer from scamming you. This is a reasonable authentication request from you as the buyer.

I know a lot more people who have been scammed off head fi accounts that were hacked than were scammed on want to buy ads. I am included in that group. In my case, the scammer got control of both the same owners head fi account and audiogon account. I found the real owner on Facebook and he took back access to both of his accounts after I told him what was going on. I tried to find the owner when the transaction started seeming fishy and it was after I made a Paypal G&S payment.

I did make the G&S payment thinking I was safe with Paypal buyer protections and my credit card. But, the scammer was able to cancel my dispute on Paypal. Once you cancel a dispute, you can no longer dispute it again. The only thing that saved me was Paypal put a 10 day hold on the payment so they could not get access to the money. I called Paypal, told them about the hacked account and they put the dispute back on. I did the same thing with my credit card. Fortunately, I did not get a fake delivery notification which some have reported to me. If scammers can get fake delivery notifications. Or, if they ship and empty box to your home. They can provide proof of delivery which is normally sufficient to prove that the transaction was fulfilled.

Once you go through this process and being scammed. You look at everything more critically. Any tool that can be easily implemented will protect more people in a very cost effective way. Enabling 2FA is easy and really should be done on all of your accounts. I downloaded Google Authenticator for free and every time I log into to headfi, I just open that app and the code to enter is right there. It changes regularly, so it is pretty hard to hack until they have your phone. Given what happens when you lose your phone is a much bigger issue. It is way more important to protect your smartphone than your headfi account. The bar scam is one to look up.

Protect yourself people. This is prudent.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #296 of 448
@AxelCloris How about you fix your classifieds search for once? I feel like the search in classifieds and advanced search produce different results and I often need to try various word combinations of a certain product to be able to find it! Using lower or upper case can also result in various orders of results.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2023 at 12:13 PM Post #299 of 448
Please make sure it isn't going to Spam or Trash. (It's easy to overlook. I know I've done it a few times in my day)
Or, you didn't do what I did which is create a filter in my email and the email went there and I forgot to look there.

Apr 26, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #300 of 448
@AxelCloris: Paypal G&S does not protect both buyer and seller from fraud in some cases, so it is NOT 100% secure. So the forced use of Paypal does not profit either buyer or seller, but only Paypal. I can understand the reason to implement 2FA, but not the forced use of Paypal G&S. Account transfers are a very widely used payment method in Europe, also in connection with classifieds. The forced use of Paypal G&S is unacceptable imho, because it only makes transactions considerably more expensive for both buyer and seller without a 100% reliable protection.

It is a pity, but I will also have to use other classified's platforms in the future. :frowning2:

Cheers,
Bernie

P.S. A track record of 100 % positive feedback from 33 users is now worthless... :frowning2:
P.P.S. I hope that Paypal is now official sponsor at least? :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back