Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Feb 22, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #3,136 of 3,158
I have set it up now. It will take a while to test these settings with enough music. First reaction is positive. Not as bright and also warmer than the latest AutoEQ convolution filter. Over time, I will try to determine if too much detail is lost.

I might also try adding some parametric EQ on top of the AutoEQ convolution filter to see if I can reduce the brightness and add warmth without while retaining more detail, three dimensionality, and atmosphere (not saying that @Draknodd EQ settings rob detail -- just inspired to experiment more).

Thanks for the feedback! Consider that the Harman target is pretty accurate from mid-bass to mid-high, while <100Hz and >8Khz depends on user preference. And measurements over 8Khz are not reliable. AutoEQ values are calculated by a script, so it's more a starting point as I said.
Starting from my EQ you can get more present highs only by raising the value of the 12000Hz shelving filter

Apr 7, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #3,137 of 3,158
Currently selling a set of these if anyone is interested.

May 17, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #3,139 of 3,158
Is it possible to get a replacement housing/shell because mine fell off? They're out of warranty so I don't just want to send them in if I can just glue on the side of the shell that came off. Everything else about it is in working order.
If it is just the outer faceplate that fell off and you still have it, you can just glue it back on. I had that happen a couple of years ago out of nowhere while I was at the airport and luckily I was able to buy some super glue at the gift shop. A few small drops in strategic places (trying to avoid the edges of the driver) and I was back in business. It has never come off again (so far).

May 17, 2021 at 4:30 PM Post #3,140 of 3,158
If it is just the outer faceplate that fell off and you still have it, you can just glue it back on. I had that happen a couple of years ago out of nowhere while I was at the airport and luckily I was able to buy some super glue at the gift shop. A few small drops in strategic places (trying to avoid the edges of the driver) and I was back in business. It has never come off again (so far).
No, i don’t have it. It fell off some place in public and is very likely gone forever.

May 17, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,141 of 3,158
No, i don’t have it. It fell off some place in public and is very likely gone forever.
Your best bet is probably to go through RHA customer service and see what they can offer.

I had a very good experience dealing with them for cable mmcx connector issue, albeit I was under warranty.

Jun 8, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3,142 of 3,158
I had exactly this problem with my CL2, and they sent me a replacement driver… I don’t recall whether I was under warranty or not at the time, however.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #3,143 of 3,158
If you don't consider the peak between 2.5khz and 4khz which Is nearly 10db too much then yes, they are perfect :D
Sorry for the necro post, however I feel that that peak you mention is due to insufficient voltage swing from the headphone out - using my Vorzuge Pure II+ that peak seemingly disappears… competitively sounds like hot garbage out of the AQ Cobalt.

even after all of these years, I’ve still not heard better bass out of an IEM than these can deliver…. Fantastic when driven hard and with powerful gear.

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #3,144 of 3,158
Sorry for the necro post, however I feel that that peak you mention is due to insufficient voltage swing from the headphone out - using my Vorzuge Pure II+ that peak seemingly disappears… competitively sounds like hot garbage out of the AQ Cobalt.

even after all of these years, I’ve still not heard better bass out of an IEM than these can deliver…. Fantastic when driven hard and with powerful gear.
You should try the ie900 :) ( for an better bass )

Sep 23, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #3,145 of 3,158

Voltage swing does not matter. An headphone driver needs the most power at lower frequencies, where the air to move is the most. A low-impedance iem like the CL2 with such low sensitivity would be current hungry, not voltage hungry. Plus even at low frequencies if the iem is underpowered you'll have attenuated sound, not a peak. I use em with my desktop setup, with an amp capable of 12Watts at 16ohm (>14Vrms), power is not a concern. (Vorzamp is 0.5w at 16ohm, 3,2 Vrms)

Oct 7, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #3,146 of 3,158
So I been using these for maybe a month now and haven't been that impressed. Im looking for that special something that makes these stand out from my other 'phones. I found that if I play them much louder than what I am usually comfortable with they start to shine, the bass especially, it has strength and presence. At quite volumes they are quite forgettable.

I can't see how these were worth $900, maybe at a quarter of that price they are worth it. When I listen to my Audeze LCD 2 I can tell where the money went... here, not so much. Maybe I am just not refined enough to appreciate the subtleties here.

Using them balanced on my Hiby R3 Pro Saber and even tried them single ended on my much more powerful Fostext desktop amp.

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #3,147 of 3,158
So I been using these for maybe a month now and haven't been that impressed. Im looking for that special something that makes these stand out from my other 'phones. I found that if I play them much louder than what I am usually comfortable with they start to shine, the bass especially, it has strength and presence. At quite volumes they are quite forgettable.

I can't see how these were worth $900, maybe at a quarter of that price they are worth it. When I listen to my Audeze LCD 2 I can tell where the money went... here, not so much. Maybe I am just not refined enough to appreciate the subtleties here.

Using them balanced on my Hiby R3 Pro Saber and even tried them single ended on my much more powerful Fostext desktop amp.
Did you buy them brand new? If so, did you burn them in? Burn in is real for some head/earphones, and these are on that list.

For most people in this thread 200 hours seems to be the magic number, although improvements are noticed sooner.

Oct 9, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #3,148 of 3,158
Did you buy them brand new? If so, did you burn them in? Burn in is real for some head/earphones, and these are on that list.

For most people in this thread 200 hours seems to be the magic number, although improvements are noticed sooner.
They are second hand and together with my listening time I think they would have passed 200 hours. I'll keep them on hand and see how I go.

Jan 25, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #3,149 of 3,158
head-fi is still pumping out CL2 ads.

2Pac.......I mean, RHA is alive?

1643132662388.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back