Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Aug 25, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #3,091 of 3,158
A bit late to the party by I bought a pair of CL2.
In short I love them, fit and build quality are awesome. The detail retrieved is one of the best I've heard (between iems ofc).
The peak at 2-4kHz is really annoying but I solved the problem with EQ.
I've written a review talking about equalization too if anyone is interested: RHA CL2 Review
There is no peak. Just burn them in 150 hours, loud, bassy music.... It will smooth out. Avoid equalization, it destroys the sound fidelity.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #3,092 of 3,158
There is no peak. Just burn them in 150 hours, loud, bassy music.... It will smooth out. Avoid equalization, it destroys the sound fidelity.
I bought them used, they are already burnt It.
Equalization ruins the sound only if you don't know how to equalize (ex fixed band eq of music players).
I apply convolution with a FIR filter usually, processing audio at 64 bit, zero loss of detail or whatsoever

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #3,093 of 3,158
I bought them used, they are already burnt It.
Equalization ruins the sound only if you don't know how to equalize (ex fixed band eq of music players).
I apply convolution with a FIR filter usually, processing audio at 64 bit, zero loss of detail or whatsoever
Well I disagree. Enjoy.

BTW: No mention of a 'peak'.

https://headfonics.com/rha-cl2-review/

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:54 PM Post #3,094 of 3,158
Well I disagree. Enjoy.

BTW: No mention of a 'peak'.

https://headfonics.com/rha-cl2-review/
graph.png

Rha itself mentioned that this peak was intentional. I'm drummer, never heard drums sound so wrong with CL2, but these drivers have a lot of potential and it's pretty easy to calm down those mids without adding distortion. Btw I respect those who like upper mids bumped, it's a matter of taste, but those are not neutral.

From the review you linked "There is fairly emphasized 1-4k"

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #3,095 of 3,158

Rha itself mentioned that this peak was intentional. I'm drummer, never heard drums sound so wrong with CL2, but these drivers have a lot of potential and it's pretty easy to calm down those mids without adding distortion. Btw I respect those who like upper mids bumped, it's a matter of taste, but those are not neutral.

From the review you linked "There is fairly emphasized 1-4k"

FR looks exactly like the Dunu Luna, because of the dynamic driver..the sound on thet one is thicker/fuller.
No IEM is a one size fits all, this one just happens to click almost all my boxes, personally I enjoy the 4K peak very much.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #3,096 of 3,158
FR looks exactly like the Dunu Luna, because of the dynamic driver..the sound on thet one is thicker/fuller.
No IEM is a one size fits all, this one just happens to click almost all my boxes, personally I enjoy the 4K peak very much.
[/QUOTE]
I totally agree, I've listened to headphones that costs multiple times the CL2 and there has always been something that avoid them to be defined "perfect". But I'm in love with the resolution of the CL2, a frequency peak can be very easily fixed, but if an iem is muddy or there's a lack of detail you can't do anything. Plus, in the used market, CL2 are pretty "cheap" (compared to msrp price), worth my money 100%

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:30 AM Post #3,097 of 3,158
After a year and a half I am still enjoying my CL2's immensely. Kind of bummed to not see anything about a CL3 in development.

I was thinking of getting a good set of bluetooth over ear headphones to get more power and LDAC, but decided to buy a FiiO LC-BT2 neckband to replace the stock one.

The extra battery life is very welcome for exercising and traveling, and the LDAC compatibility and stronger amp in the FiiO has given a little more weight/definition to my music. Well worth the $70 (Amazon).

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:59 AM Post #3,098 of 3,158
After a year and a half I am still enjoying my CL2's immensely. Kind of bummed to not see anything about a CL3 in development.

I was thinking of getting a good set of bluetooth over ear headphones to get more power and LDAC, but decided to buy a FiiO LC-BT2 neckband to replace the stock one.

The extra battery life is very welcome for exercising and traveling, and the LDAC compatibility and stronger amp in the FiiO has given a little more weight/definition to my music. Well worth the $70 (Amazon).
CL3 is a day 1 purchase for me too.
RHA is probably planning something special, instead of doing a yearly mish mash assembly of IEMs that other companies do.
Yeah, it's still my most used day to day IEM........ The little engine that keeps on going :)

Sep 29, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #3,099 of 3,158
I have concerns that RHA is not working on a CL3 after reading this on their CL2 web page the other day...

"The CL2 Planar was a limited production project, pushing the boundaries of wireless audio technology"

They are no longer making/selling the CL2.

Sep 29, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #3,100 of 3,158
I have concerns that RHA is not working on a CL3 after reading this on their CL2 web page the other day...

"The CL2 Planar was a limited production project, pushing the boundaries of wireless audio technology"

They are no longer making/selling the CL2.
The did the same thing with the CL1. Now that production on the CL2 has stopped, I think the CL3 is probably not that far away.
Very interested to see what direction they will be going, and hopefully they provide some answers this year.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 4, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #3,101 of 3,158
Synthwave on CL2 = AAAAA synergy:gs1000smile:

Synths extend into treble stratosphere!

20201004_144009.jpg

Oct 17, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #3,104 of 3,158
Hi, having bought the CL2s I wrote a post early this year about how much I enjoyed my first more high end earphones. I also bought a FiiO x7 first gen from ebay, with the AM2A amp included. I read about the AM2A softening high frequencies, and so thought this would be perfect for the CL2S, and to be honest it made a big difference. That together with, I suppose, the hours I've added to them has really softened the high treble. The FiiO itself also made a big difference. The sound "moved closer together" while still remaining distinct and detailed. I guess you could say it filled up more. I also think the sound softened without losing clarity. Of course other things also, but especially the sound filling up the soundstage more was what I really experienced. I was listening straight from my galaxy tablet previously, so perhaps no wonder that the upgrade became so apparent.

However, I'd like to get a cable suited for the CL2s, and while a copper type was recommended I really don't have a clue as to which ones I should be looking at. I don't know anything about this kind of subject with highend sound. Previous to this I had a pair of overear Momentums and the T10s. Would someone mind suggesting a cable to buy? I read in an earlier post about a Leonidas cable, but that is way too expensive for me. I'm thinking around 150usd or so, but of course I could go up some... I also read about the FiiO LC-BT2, and it sounds interesting. Would it perhaps be worth it to get one of these instead? The extra batterylife would be awesome, and listening wireless is something I've really come to enjoy. But if a cable really is much more worth it in terms of soundquality, then I will prioritize that.

Oct 17, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #3,105 of 3,158
Hi, having bought the CL2s I wrote a post early this year about how much I enjoyed my first more high end earphones. I also bought a FiiO x7 first gen from ebay, with the AM2A amp included. I read about the AM2A softening high frequencies, and so thought this would be perfect for the CL2S, and to be honest it made a big difference. That together with, I suppose, the hours I've added to them has really softened the high treble. The FiiO itself also made a big difference. The sound "moved closer together" while still remaining distinct and detailed. I guess you could say it filled up more. I also think the sound softened without losing clarity. Of course other things also, but especially the sound filling up the soundstage more was what I really experienced. I was listening straight from my galaxy tablet previously, so perhaps no wonder that the upgrade became so apparent.

However, I'd like to get a cable suited for the CL2s, and while a copper type was recommended I really don't have a clue as to which ones I should be looking at. I don't know anything about this kind of subject with highend sound. Previous to this I had a pair of overear Momentums and the T10s. Would someone mind suggesting a cable to buy? I read in an earlier post about a Leonidas cable, but that is way too expensive for me. I'm thinking around 150usd or so, but of course I could go up some... I also read about the FiiO LC-BT2, and it sounds interesting. Would it perhaps be worth it to get one of these instead? The extra batterylife would be awesome, and listening wireless is something I've really come to enjoy. But if a cable really is much more worth it in terms of soundquality, then I will prioritize that.
I know this is not a popular opinion on head fi perhaps but I don’t believe in cable changing sound quality. I think it’s mostly comfort and aesthetics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back