Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jul 5, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #3,076 of 3,158
I’ve got both and Luna and CL2 don’t sound the same at all so FR doesn’t tell the whole story.
I don't think FR's tells the whole story about how an IEM sounds, but I would venture a guess that the Luna is tuned for resolution/details with that upper mids emphasis (Possibly great for Jazz and Instrumentals). Stage, imaging, driver recovery, speed, resolution etc cannot be picked up by a simple FR, and i would think the Beryllium DD sounds quite different than the Planar Driver.

That tuning, is nonetheless almost identical on a graph, makes me want to try the Luna more than anything else :)

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #3,078 of 3,158
So I just put the Leonidas cable on my CL-2, using SR-25 as source and the CL2 is utterly transformed; It has been taken to the next level...detail retrieval is boosted, the bass is layered and detailed, soundstage is MORE coherent (if that is even possible...)...Everything is better and just 'elevated'. The CL-2 continues to astonish me...The bass is deep and rich... This cable is amazing...

Jul 5, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #3,079 of 3,158
I don't think FR's tells the whole story about how an IEM sounds, but I would venture a guess that the Luna is tuned for resolution/details with that upper mids emphasis (Possibly great for Jazz and Instrumentals). Stage, imaging, driver recovery, speed, resolution etc cannot be picked up by a simple FR, and i would think the Beryllium DD sounds quite different than the Planar Driver.

That tuning, is nonetheless almost identical on a graph, makes me want to try the Luna more than anything else :)
Yeah, where is soundstage, layering, timbre and tone on a graph? Whenever I see a 'graph' on a post or review, i just walk away...

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #3,080 of 3,158
So I just put the Leonidas cable on my CL-2, using SR-25 as source and the CL2 is utterly transformed; It has been taken to the next level...detail retrieval is boosted, the bass is layered and detailed, soundstage is MORE coherent (if that is even possible...)...Everything is better and just 'elevated'. The CL-2 continues to astonish me...The bass is deep and rich... This cable is amazing...
Out of my Modified RME the CL2 are extremely coherent, and resolution is next level.
I also have the LCDi4 and the Legend, both sound better with the upgraded player, but the RHA's see the biggest jump.
20200531_125037.jpg

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #3,084 of 3,158
Out of my Modified RME the CL2 are extremely coherent, and resolution is next level.
I also have the LCDi4 and the Legend, both sound better with the upgraded player, but the RHA's see the biggest jump.
Hot damn! Thats some upgrade!

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #3,085 of 3,158
Did you do that yourself? Or did you send it out? Curious about the wiring and solder...did you use high end materials? And just out of curiosity, what did the whole project cost you to implement?

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #3,086 of 3,158
Did you do that yourself? Or did you send it out? Curious about the wiring and solder...did you use high end materials? And just out of curiosity, what did the whole project cost you to implement?
Yes, I did it myself.
Capacitors cost $83
Solder was Mundorf HIgh quantity Silver, wires are Solid copper extensions for the stock leads.
Capacitors are Mundorf ECAP foils, 47uf 70V are the big ones, and 15uf 70v are the smaller ones.
If I was to do it again, I would go 50v all around, then I would be able to put the top cover back on again, 50v are a bit smaller in size.

Jul 6, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #3,087 of 3,158
Yes, I did it myself.
Capacitors cost $83
Solder was Mundorf HIgh quantity Silver, wires are Solid copper extensions for the stock leads.
Capacitors are Mundorf ECAP foils, 47uf 70V are the big ones, and 15uf 70v are the smaller ones.
If I was to do it again, I would go 50v all around, then I would be able to put the top cover back on again, 50v are a bit smaller in size.
That's so cool, I admire that. I was an Electronics Technician in the US Navy many years ago, and even I wouldn't try that, but I'm mucho rusty...

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #3,088 of 3,158
That's so cool, I admire that. I was an Electronics Technician in the US Navy many years ago, and even I wouldn't try that, but I'm mucho rusty...
Honestly, the actual soldering was quite easy. The Stock capacitors snap off cleanly if you twist them with a pair of pliers. The longest part of the whole process was extending the leads.

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:10 PM Post #3,089 of 3,158
A bit late to the party by I bought a pair of CL2.
In short I love them, fit and build quality are awesome. The detail retrieved is one of the best I've heard (between iems ofc).
The peak at 2-4kHz is really annoying but I solved the problem with EQ.
I've written a review talking about equalization too if anyone is interested: RHA CL2 Review

Aug 25, 2020 at 1:14 PM Post #3,090 of 3,158
A bit late to the party by I bought a pair of CL2.
In short I love them, fit and build quality are awesome. The detail retrieved is one of the best I've heard (between iems ofc).
The peak at 2-4kHz is really annoying but I solved the problem with EQ.
I've written a review talking about equalization too if anyone is interested: RHA CL2 Review
the compare to the P1 was very helpful :) thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back