Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jun 7, 2019 at 6:48 PM Post #2,491 of 3,158
Makes sense. For me the fit is flush, as good as it gets pretty much.
I can't enjoy BA iems very much, so all these customs are out of the question.
If the fit was constantly a nagging reminder, uncomfortable, I'd look elsewhere too.

Add: hope the CL3 has a custom option.

If I ever get this custom reshell project for my CL2's off the ground and working maybe I could figure out an easy template for others to use.

Jun 9, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #2,493 of 3,158
Listening to Patricia Barber "Companion album" live SACD. Damn!! the timbre of the instruments is breathtaking, just sounds so life like and real, Jaw dropping.

An absolute must listen album on the CL2.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #2,494 of 3,158
My CL2 sold less than 2 hours of listing them, so they will be gone tomorrow!

Really hoping but highly doubt that RHA offer a custom version in the future. Can't see it happening though.

Jun 9, 2019 at 7:43 AM Post #2,495 of 3,158
I finally got to audition these yesterday - found out that a local (but kinda far) store had these in stock.

I thought these were interesting, but did anyone else find the mids to be pretty weird? They seemed a bit unnatural and with a noticeable upper midrange empasis.

I'll definitely be giving these another listen though later, and with my eartips/Hugo 2 next time. At the very least, it's a huge step in the right direction from the old CL1.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #2,496 of 3,158
I finally got to audition these yesterday - found out that a local (but kinda far) store had these in stock.

I thought these were interesting, but did anyone else find the mids to be pretty weird? They seemed a bit unnatural and with a noticeable upper midrange empasis.

I'll definitely be giving these another listen though later, and with my eartips/Hugo 2 next time. At the very least, it's a huge step in the right direction from the old CL1.

I don't own them, but from previous discussions in this thread I believe that issue is due to the stock cable. @Kitechaser solved that issue with a cable swap.

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #2,497 of 3,158

The stock 3.5mm, which I’ve never used, reportedly causes what you experienced.
I have a custom Copper cable terminated in 4.4mm for the Sony WM1A. No such mid weirdness. You might want to try another cable when you go back to trial them with the Hugo 2

Jun 9, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2,498 of 3,158
Listening to Patricia Barber "Companion album" live SACD. Damn!! the timbre of the instruments is breathtaking, just sounds so life like and real, Jaw dropping.

An absolute must listen album on the CL2.

It's the recording. I pulled it up on tidal on my cell phone using my fiio BTR3 and CL2 and it sounds phenomenal. Feel like I'm sitting in the night club. I got goosebumps when the audience applauded, micodetail...phenomenal.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #2,499 of 3,158
I don't own them, but from previous discussions in this thread I believe that issue is due to the stock cable. @Kitechaser solved that issue with a cable swap.

The stock 3.5mm, which I’ve never used, reportedly causes what you experienced.
I have a custom Copper cable terminated in 4.4mm for the Sony WM1A. No such mid weirdness. You might want to try another cable when you go back to trial them with the Hugo 2

Personally pretty agnostic on cable differences, but I'll give it a shot. My setup yesterday was definitely not ideal, which is why I do want to try again later.

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #2,500 of 3,158
Personally pretty agnostic on cable differences, but I'll give it a shot. My setup yesterday was definitely not ideal, which is why I do want to try again later.
Rethink cables. They are profound.

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:19 PM Post #2,501 of 3,158

These need deep insertion tips, spiral dots do very well. And they are extremely transparent, so cables, DAP and quality of file are very important.

Add: Spiral dots, a size smaller than usual for me, not only allow for a deeper insertion, but the extra wide bore opening provides more clarity and opens up the soundstage.
To my ears, the deeper insertion produces a balanced sound. Isolation also goes up.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #2,502 of 3,158
My CL2 sold less than 2 hours of listing them, so they will be gone tomorrow!

Really hoping but highly doubt that RHA offer a custom version in the future. Can't see it happening though.
Good luck with your new iem. Whoever picked these up, got a hell of a deal.

Add: here is to hoping @RHA Team has a custom option for the CL3 :)

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #2,503 of 3,158
Rethink cables. They are profound.

I’ve tried everything from the EA Ares II to Horus, PW Audio Copper28 V2 to 1950s, a number of offerings from DHC/PlusSound/Crystal Cable/Rhapsodio/etc., and I’d say that the differences are anything but profound. Minor changes? Maybe.

I won’t argue if someone else feels differently, but it’s a bit silly to tell someone that their own listening experiences are wrong.

I actually do own a couple aftermarket cables (Linum SuperBaX, the aforementioned Copper28 V2, etc.) but my reasons for getting them are more aesthetics/comfort related than anything concerning sound.

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,504 of 3,158
I’ve tried everything from the EA Ares II to Horus, PW Audio Copper28 V2 to 1950s, a number of offerings from DHC/PlusSound/Crystal Cable/Rhapsodio/etc., and I’d say that the differences are anything but profound. Minor changes? Maybe.

I won’t argue if someone else feels differently, but it’s a bit silly to tell someone that their own listening experiences are wrong.

I actually do own a couple aftermarket cables (Linum SuperBaX, the aforementioned Copper28 V2, etc.) but my reasons for getting them are more aesthetics/comfort related than anything concerning sound.
Then you're tone-death. You have a tin ear.

Jun 9, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #2,505 of 3,158
These need deep insertion tips, spiral dots do very well. And they are extremely transparent, so cables, DAP and quality of file are very important.

Add: Spiral dots, a size smaller than usual for me, not only allow for a deeper insertion, but the extra wide bore opening provide more clarity and open up the stage.
Also to my ears, the deeper insertion produces a balanced sound. Isolation also goes up.

I’ll make sure to try that. I did notice that the CL2 was pretty power hungry as well, so definitely want something with a bit more oomph for next time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back