Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:35 AM Post #2,161 of 3,158
, if you can't tell where the voices are coming from, probably wasted your money going to the performance or you have cheap seats

Thank you, that’s gentle enough.

Taking each of your comments in turn;

in another post you mentioned that the design should be able to play all music genre, but then go on to mention CL2 won't be loud enough for a metal head?

Please re-read what I wrote. I never said such a thing about the CL2. It was about the Quads. And Quads will play death metal extremely well, just simply not loud enough for my death metal friends.

if single driver speakers were the be-all-end-all, why are multi-driver, multi-crossover speakers the dominant market?

Because the vast majority of people are unwilling to live with the expense and space requirements of full range single driver speakers.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #2,162 of 3,158
at some point a compromise is made. This is an old debate that will never be 'won'.

Actually, the debate is won. As you yourself point out, the general solution is a compromise.

I think there are plenty of audio experts that will disagree with such blanket statements, plenty will say that a hybrid driver setup provides the best of both worlds, using BA that you do not like.

So now you’re recruiting spurious and un-named experts to your cause? And I never said that I dislike BA drivers or hybrid designs. One of my favourite IEMs is a 3 BA design.

Planar bass is 'acoustically correct' ...nonsensical, it can be 'correct' or 'incorrect' depending on how successful the design implementation.

Nothing nonsensical about my assertion. If you think that dynamic bass with its accompanying distortion and colouration is more accurate then you are welcome to it. The plethora of comments about dynamic bass being richer or punching harder is testament to the fact that it is coloured and acoustically incorrect.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 1:06 AM Post #2,163 of 3,158

Renaud Capucon
"Cinema"
Is an absolute must own album for every CL2 owner, in 24/96 (a must)
If you are going to just take one recommendation for music that highlights what the CL2 can do, this is it.

Just an FYI, Tidal has this in MQA. Sounds very good. Thx for the rec.

Moving the discussion on... :p

Picked up a nice pair of ProAc speakers that I've always wanted and started listening. Makes me appreciative to have both the CL2s and good speakers; both are enjoyable in their own right.

Back to the music.
:L3000::L3000::L3000:

Feb 6, 2019 at 1:20 AM Post #2,164 of 3,158
Just an FYI, Tidal has this in MQA. Sounds very good. Thx for the rec.

Moving the discussion on... :p

Picked up a nice pair of ProAc speakers that I've always wanted and started listening. Makes me appreciative to have both the CL2s and good speakers; both are enjoyable in their own right.

Back to the music.
:L3000::L3000::L3000:
That is sweet. I would love to come by and give them a listen :)
I have been pouring through my options per say what @ANOpax suggested a few pages back, been doing my reading on it, and I would really like to go that route.
I am going to have to look into the used market, but should be able to pull something together.
Gotta build this once, I'll take the time to build it right.

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:57 AM Post #2,165 of 3,158
Catching up with what I've missed - To dismiss synergy is to say that all components sound the same... That simply isn't true.

Feb 6, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #2,166 of 3,158
Cant find any quad esl speakers stateside, the soundlabs are way out of my price range. Will keep looking, but might have to go with the Magnepans.
This 800 dollar iem playing out of a ZX300 is inspiring me to spend 5 plus grand on a floor speaker setup.
How's that for a recommendation.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #2,168 of 3,158
Feb 6, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #2,169 of 3,158
Yup 2905 is the newer model. 100w of tube goodness will bring them alive. They aren’t too shabby with solid state either so if you can’t source good tube power then good SS is also okay. And the 100w provides plenty of headroom. If you’re stuck with lower powered amplification then 50w will do - but no less than that.

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #2,170 of 3,158
Is there anyone who has the cl2 and can compare it to the ier-m9 or has demoed the ier z1r and can compare it with the cl2.
Is it sound quality wise a fair comparison ,cl2 vs these Sony's?

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #2,171 of 3,158
What do these list for? I wonder...so that's $4k for the Quads and prob another $2k for a decent tube amp (used)...thats a nice chunk of change albeit for a nice-sounding system.

My ProAcs listed for $4,500 but I picked them up for $2k. And my Linn integrated drives it nicely although I'm eying a nice Cayin Tube amp.

My wallet is currently in the hospital...

:frowning2:

Feb 6, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #2,172 of 3,158
I think they retail for 14k.
It's one of those purchases you just can't think about very much. It's a quality of life issue, and life is short.
Outside of the WM1A, I will be good with spending money on audio equipment for a long long long time, up until the CL3 comes out.
Gonna go with a solid state amp, for about 1500. Gonna be too broke to go full tube amp.

Feb 6, 2019 at 7:55 PM Post #2,174 of 3,158
This is a crazy hobby...first great IEMs like the CL2, then a good copper cable, good tips, good DAP, good desktop amp, then speakers, amp for the speakers, cables,

YIKES...

Feb 6, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #2,175 of 3,158
This is a crazy hobby...first great IEMs like the CL2, then a good copper cable, good tips, good DAP, good desktop amp, then speakers, amp for the speakers, cables,

YIKES...
Not spending money on cups of coffee everyday, and don't eat out.
Cook my own food. All the savings add up to..........^^^^^^^^^
And I don't have kids, just 2 cats. Haha
So that money goes here, and this is not exactly a repeat purchase :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back