Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jan 29, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,116 of 3,158
Why am I like this? I have two DAPs on the way at the same time.

It really is true, I'm building my equipment around the CL2. No interest in anything other than "niche" headphones right now.

Cowon Plenue d2 and hiby r6 pro on the way. At some point I'd love to temporarily swap (temporarily!!!! I swear) one of my collection for a Sony wm1a or zx300 to see the difference.... Or borrow, or whatever.

I've been listening to one of my favorite artists, who records under the name national skyline, and I really need to convince that guy to stop recording in VBR mp3. It just doesn't convey the space or crispness (especially in vocals) of a lossless file, and I never really noticed it until this pair.

Jan 29, 2019 at 8:39 PM Post #2,117 of 3,158
Ordered the Dunu cable 4.4mm, itll be probably a while before I get it, but it sure looks sweet.
Wonder how the OCC and OCS mix will work with the CL2...

Jan 29, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #2,118 of 3,158
Another album that is a must listen on the CL2 is "Just like love" by Steve Strauss SACD High Res.
Holy Damn, just unforgettably beautiful.

Jan 30, 2019 at 10:08 PM Post #2,119 of 3,158
Hey hey!

Been reading this thread for a little while, and am super curious about the CL2. That form factor is really attractive, mainly because I could comfortably lay down with them in. Anyway, anyone in the Seattle area who owns one? I'm thinking of selling my Andromeda-S for it, but want to hear it before I part with my stainless-steel beauty.

Thanks!

Jan 31, 2019 at 11:14 AM Post #2,120 of 3,158
Hey hey!

Been reading this thread for a little while, and am super curious about the CL2. That form factor is really attractive, mainly because I could comfortably lay down with them in. Anyway, anyone in the Seattle area who owns one? I'm thinking of selling my Andromeda-S for it, but want to hear it before I part with my stainless-steel beauty.

Thanks!
Hmm, I don't know, they do stick out fairly far, from my ears at least, but they're better than 95% of IEMs, but they're picky about seal, so that might complicate matters when lying down.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow if I remember so you can see how they sit in the ear.

I had the original Andromeda before these and I much prefer these. Haven't heard the S though, but given it was just a different tuning, I doubt it would rival these in terms of clarity and detail.

Jan 31, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #2,121 of 3,158
Hmm, I don't know, they do stick out fairly far, from my ears at least, but they're better than 95% of IEMs, but they're picky about seal, so that might complicate matters when lying down.

I'll try to take pictures tomorrow if I remember so you can see how they sit in the ear.

I had the original Andromeda before these and I much prefer these. Haven't heard the S though, but given it was just a different tuning, I doubt it would rival these in terms of clarity and detail.
Thanks for letting me know this. For about 6 months, a few years back, I had the T20. Damn, that was such a comfortable fit. Could sleep with them in and have one of my favorite albums playing. I enjoyed waking up, in the middle of the night, hearing a song I loved, and then falling back to sleep. The CL2 appears to be the same size, so I don't think it would be much of a difference to adapt to.

I've also had a few PMs from people and am really grateful for their input. Looks like the touring unit is about 20 miles away from me, right now, and I'm hoping to get to meet up with him before he passes it on. Woohoo!

Jan 31, 2019 at 1:37 PM Post #2,122 of 3,158
Thanks for letting me know this. For about 6 months, a few years back, I had the T20. Damn, that was such a comfortable fit. Could sleep with them in and have one of my favorite albums playing. I enjoyed waking up, in the middle of the night, hearing a song I loved, and then falling back to sleep. The CL2 appears to be the same size, so I don't think it would be much of a difference to adapt to.

I've also had a few PMs from people and am really grateful for their input. Looks like the touring unit is about 20 miles away from me, right now, and I'm hoping to get to meet up with him before he passes it on. Woohoo!
For me the fit is better than the T20. And it is flush against my ears.
With aftermarket cables and spiral dots, I don't think there are many iems that can compete when it comes to comfort with the CL2.
There might be something else out there, but I have yet to see it.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2019 at 11:01 PM Post #2,123 of 3,158
I'm in bed at 4am, watching my new Samsung Q9 TV, connected via BT to my WM1A and CL2....

Even SBC sounds decent on this combo, aided by the pleasant visuals from the TV - happy days all around!

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #2,124 of 3,158
I had the pleasure of getting to meet up with @antdroid tonight to listen to the review unit while he still had it. I really appreciated his generosity to come down and share it with me. He had some great info to share and I found him to be very thoughtful & fair on his judgments of things.

Though I could hear some really fun textures and speeds, I really struggled with this unique sound signature. Instead, I'm going to work on getting a fancy DAP so I can bring out more of the sound potential of Andromeda-S and Altas.

Thanks for all the great info!

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:34 AM Post #2,125 of 3,158
I had the pleasure of getting to meet up with @antdroid tonight to listen to the review unit while he still had it. I really appreciated his generosity to come down and share it with me. He had some great info to share and I found him to be very thoughtful & fair on his judgments of things.

Though I could hear some really fun textures and speeds, I really struggled with this unique sound signature. Instead, I'm going to work on getting a fancy DAP so I can bring out more of the sound potential of Andromeda-S and Altas.

Thanks for all the great info!
Without a DAP that has proper synergy, cables, and tips, the CL2 can be a crazy experience.
You won't go wrong with the iems you have on hand, particularly the Atlas ( at least for me). Happy DAP hunting :)

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:36 AM Post #2,126 of 3,158
Without a DAP that has proper synergy, cables, and tips, the CL2 can be a crazy experience.
You won't go wrong with the iems you have on hand, particularly the Atlas ( at least for me). Happy DAP hunting :)
True. And the thought of overhauling a music setup for an IEM, at this stage, is way outside what I want to consider.
I've been eyeballing the ZX-300, as I'm a big fan of their DAPs.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:41 AM Post #2,127 of 3,158
True. And the thought of overhauling a music setup for an IEM, at this stage, is way outside what I want to consider.
I've been eyeballing the ZX-300, as I'm a big fan of their DAPs.
The ZX300 is an incredible bargain. I am enjoying it very much, love the tonality of the instruments, and the battery life is a major plus. Sony SQ is second to none.
I will be upgrading to a WM1A pretty soon here, so might put the one I have up for sale.
You should definitely go the DAP route first. I don't know what you are using, but the upgrade will be appreciated by both of your iems.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2019 at 2:46 AM Post #2,128 of 3,158
The ZX300 is an incredible bargain. I am enjoying it very much, love the tonality of the instruments, and the battery life is a major plus. Sony SQ is second to none.
I will be upgrading to a WM1A pretty soon here, so might put the one I have up for sale.
You should definitely go the DAP route first. I don't know what you are using right now, but the upgrade will be appreciated by both of your iems.
Currently, I'm on the LG-G7. It's quite impressive, and is comparable to my NWZ-A17. We met up at a store called beta and I plugged my IEMs into the Fiio dap they were using to demo headphones. Loved the sound quality. A marked improvement over what I'm used to. Terrible UI.

Anyway, all that's OT for this thread. Don't want to derail from people sharing their excitement.

Feb 1, 2019 at 2:50 AM Post #2,129 of 3,158
Currently, I'm on the LG-G7. It's quite impressive, and is comparable to my NWZ-A17. We met up at a store called beta and I plugged my IEMs into the Fiio dap they were using to demo headphones. Loved the sound quality. A marked improvement over what I'm used to. Terrible UI.

Anyway, all that's OT for this thread. Don't want to derail from people sharing their excitement.
I'm not a big fan of Fiio players, but that might be a personal taste.
Wait till you plug in your iems into something like a WM1A, or a proper desktop amp like a Sony TA-ZH1ES,
You will flip out :)
Anyways, like I said, happy DAP hunting.

Feb 2, 2019 at 1:37 AM Post #2,130 of 3,158
Why am I like this? I have two DAPs on the way at the same time.

It really is true, I'm building my equipment around the CL2. No interest in anything other than "niche" headphones right now.

Cowon Plenue d2 and hiby r6 pro on the way. At some point I'd love to temporarily swap (temporarily!!!! I swear) one of my collection for a Sony wm1a or zx300 to see the difference.... Or borrow, or whatever.

I've been listening to one of my favorite artists, who records under the name national skyline, and I really need to convince that guy to stop recording in VBR mp3. It just doesn't convey the space or crispness (especially in vocals) of a lossless file, and I never really noticed it until this pair.
I can tell you right now my guy, the zx300 aint worth your time with those other daps on the way. My V40 is miles better than the zx300. Im getting the R6 Pro tomorrow so i will be A/B those 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back