Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jan 14, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #1,997 of 3,158
I didn't actually. Not sure if cable burn-in is a thing. I do believe in gear burn-in though.
I didn't believe in it either, till I experienced it first hand.
Amanand88keys had a similar experience.
Just leave it running overnight for 3-4 days when not in use.

Jan 14, 2019 at 11:19 PM Post #1,998 of 3,158
I have the hansound zen 8 that I have been using with my cl2. It is a great combo. The Zen 8 is a warmer, smoother cable, which pairs well with the cl2. To my ears, the cable help take that little bit of edge off that really keeps those upper mids from venturing from sharp to piercing, even on recordings that leave something to be desired in terms of quality. Ergonomically it is very nice as well—soft and quite flezible, particularly for a fairly thick cable given the 8 connectors. I love the black aluminum (I think) y connector. Probably my favorite of any cable I have seen. Truest top notch and the deep copper connectors makes the whole thing look like understated jewelery. The only downside on the thickness is that it does add weight to the cable and after long listening sessions I can start to feel the weight and forth of it where the cable curls around my ears. Having said that, it is certainly on par with my effect audio Aries II 8-wire I use with my phantoms in terms of ergonomics. I would definitely recommend considering it if you are cable shopping for your cl2. Although it is by no means a cheap cable, compared with other boutique cables out there, it is very well priced and the quality and performance are excellent in my view.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #1,999 of 3,158
So the OCC copper cable arrived a few days ago, gave it some thorough listening. Timbre is improved, the sound became simply more natural, especially the drums.
My initial impression regarding the upper mids peak (paired with an ZX300) was that there was nothing sort of intrusive or sharp. However, having listened to a variety of albums, that specific peak is evident and, in my opinion, the source file and its mastering makes or breaks the game.

Do I enjoy the combo? Hell yeah I do!

But I tried to fiddle with the EQ, and this is what I came up with:
-2 dB at 2kHz and -1 dB at 4kHz. You can see at the picture how the graph looks like exactly on my ZX300. I think this EQ completely removes the potential "shoutiness" of the upper mids, while retaining the CL2's mid-forward tuning. Owners of the combo, feel free to post your impressions, I'd love to see your thoughts on this!
Thx for your EQ tuning suggestions/insights. On my AK SP1K, I reduced the 8kHz level by -3.3 (dB) and lowered the surrounding frequencies to get a curve that peaks at 8kHz. I am using a gold/silver cable. This setting brings a smile to my face.

:L3000::L3000:

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:32 AM Post #2,000 of 3,158
I have the hansound zen 8 that I have been using with my cl2. It is a great combo. The Zen 8 is a warmer, smoother cable, which pairs well with the cl2. To my ears, the cable help take that little bit of edge off that really keeps those upper mids from venturing from sharp to piercing, even on recordings that leave something to be desired in terms of quality. Ergonomically it is very nice as well—soft and quite flezible, particularly for a fairly thick cable given the 8 connectors. I love the black aluminum (I think) y connector. Probably my favorite of any cable I have seen. Truest top notch and the deep copper connectors makes the whole thing look like understated jewelery. The only downside on the thickness is that it does add weight to the cable and after long listening sessions I can start to feel the weight and forth of it where the cable curls around my ears. Having said that, it is certainly on par with my effect audio Aries II 8-wire I use with my phantoms in terms of ergonomics. I would definitely recommend considering it if you are cable shopping for your cl2. Although it is by no means a cheap cable, compared with other boutique cables out there, it is very well priced and the quality and performance are excellent in my view.
The Hansound Zen 8 is very reasonably priced considering my 8-wire cable from Effect Audio is...well... a LOT more.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:39 AM Post #2,001 of 3,158
Just for sanity’s sake, I’d like to point out (once again), that the CL2’s sound amazing with stock cables. Just in case anyone has plowed through all this thread and think they need to spend money on aftermarket cables for fantasy, imagined, cable magic. You don’t have to buy a 1,200$ DAP too btw.

Jan 15, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #2,002 of 3,158
They sound great out of a Hiby R6, zx300, wm1a. A ZX300A is like $375 on joybuy.
Stock copper cable is good, but uncomfortable. Those damn hooks.
Agreed, don't have to spend a fortune for them to sound incredible.
The other point being, they scale up, as far up as you would like to take it.
You can happily pair them with a 3000 dollar desktop amp if that is what you would like.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 12:51 AM Post #2,003 of 3,158
...You can happily pair them with a 3000 dollar desktop amp if that is what you would like.
Yes, they sound shockingly good with a nice desktop amp - I don't miss my full-size headphone 'cans at all.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:23 AM Post #2,005 of 3,158
Reeeally curious to see what @davidmolliere thinks about the upper mid response with the ZX300 and Han Sound Zen!

Well the Hansound Zen 8 wire (and the 4 wire as well) is really a very transparent cable, compared to stock cable you’ll gain a lot in terms of soundstage (especially 8 wire) and dynamics as well as a smoother presentation. Since it’s transparent it won’t mask the upper mids harshness on some tracks (although @Kitechaser think that further burn in would have fixed it so I can only vouch for 250/300 hours burned in impressions). It will tame it but not mask it altogether.

Jan 15, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #2,006 of 3,158
Just for sanity’s sake, I’d like to point out (once again), that the CL2’s sound amazing with stock cables. Just in case anyone has plowed through all this thread and think they need to spend money on aftermarket cables for fantasy, imagined, cable magic. You don’t have to buy a 1,200$ DAP too btw.
I'm not really a cable person (hence my reticence to spend out on a copper cable - my multistrand SPC cable is good enough for me), however - the wire in the stock cable is too stiff for me to get a good fit, which is why I moved away from stock (also - buying the WM1A, with its 4.4mm jack persuaded me to upgrade the cable rather than - for the one day I had it, using an iBasso 2.5 to 4.4 adapter)

I believe that the SQ has a lot to do with synergy, as I've posted before - the AK T8ie MKII really benefitted from the side/downgrade from the FiiO Q5 to the Shanling M0, really brought them to life - however, the CL2 sounded very thin and unmusical with the M0, the WM1A really brought the CL2 to life.

Horses for courses though, everyones journey is different - and, so long as we all arrive at the destination (audio bliss), then all is good.

Jan 15, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #2,007 of 3,158
Well the Hansound Zen 8 wire (and the 4 wire as well) is really a very transparent cable, compared to stock cable you’ll gain a lot in terms of soundstage (especially 8 wire) and dynamics as well as a smoother presentation. Since it’s transparent it won’t mask the upper mids harshness on some tracks (although @Kitechaser think that further burn in would have fixed it so I can only vouch for 250/300 hours burned in impressions). It will tame it but not mask it altogether.
No it doesn't fix tracks that have been poorly mastered or compressed. They improve, but never really fixed.
I fixed them by pressing, DELETE :)
No Brickwalled music for me on the CL2.
Thanks for the breakdown.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #2,008 of 3,158
Has anyone tried the Effect Audio Ares II cable with the CL2? (4 or 8 wire version)
Just wondering if anyone has any impressions/comparisons :)

Jan 15, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #2,009 of 3,158
Has anyone tried the Effect Audio Ares II cable with the CL2? (4 or 8 wire version)
Just wondering if anyone has any impressions/comparisons :)
I have the same questions. I am confused between Han sound zen 8 and ares II 8 wire. I am more tilted towards the former as the latter may accentuate upper mids and it has lean lower mids according to reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back