Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Jan 3, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #1,936 of 3,158
Okay. You want me to say in a different way?
The SPC cable's timbre is off and sounds metallic.
Does not work with this iem for me.
Try it for yourself.

I second this. I had this impression when I first heard the CL2 at RMAF this year and had it confirmed on the review tour. The copper cable provides a significant improvement in balance and timbre. It's not my favorite IEM either way, but with the SPC it's borderline unlistenable as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,937 of 3,158
@pinkzeppelincult in your review you mentioned the CL2 is very similar to the KSE1500. How so?
In my opinion the CL2 sounds as far away from the electrostats, outside of some technicalities, as humanly possible.
They have very little in common, or I thought so when I had the chance to audition the shures.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #1,938 of 3,158
"RHA CL2 - THE CHOSEN ONE "
These are special iems. Period.
The most striking feature is the fast transient response (estat territory) and they scale well with amp (mass Kobo 424).
Copper cable is the best match. Will try horus after getting 2pin to mmcx converter.
Symbio Wide tips without the foam are the best fit for me.

Thanks @sorrick for the recommendation.

20190103_233142.jpg

20190103_233037.jpg

20190103_232927.jpg

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #1,939 of 3,158
The most striking feature is the fast transient response (estat territory) and they scale well with amp (mass Kobo 424).
Copper cable is the best match. Will try horus after getting 2pin to mmcx converter.

Glad you like them! They only get better as you burn them in/use them!

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:15 PM Post #1,940 of 3,158

Quick thoughts comparing to i4s? Curious.

I do like the CL2s and I was listening to them via the silver cable.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #1,941 of 3,158
Quick thoughts comparing to i4s? Curious.

I do like the CL2s and I was listening to them via the silver cable.

The transient response is better than lcdi4 from my initial listen. Timbre is a bit off. The visceral / palpable response is on a lower side.
I hope burn in and future custom copper cable corrects it. I have applied some parametric EQ using Roon. Bumped up the 250-500 hz and tamed 4khz area. Now it's amazing.
The only downside for me is difficulty in changing mmcx cable.

I had tried stock SPC cable, sounds thin, timbre is way off.

Now, trying with desktop setup. V281 -12db pregain... no hiss for me. It pairs wonderfully. The tonality of pavane (R2R NOS dac) is clearly noticeable.

Let's do proper burn in. I am sure my impressions will change.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #1,942 of 3,158
The transient response is better than lcdi4 from my initial listen. Timbre is a bit off. The visceral / palpable response is on a lower side.
I hope burn in and future custom copper cable corrects it. I have applied some parametric EQ using Roon. Bumped up the 250-500 hz and tamed 4khz area. Now it's amazing.

Now, trying with desktop setup. V281 -12db pregain... no hiss for me. It pairs wonderfully. The tonality of pavane (R2R NOS dac) is clearly noticeable.

If you wedge your fingernails between the iem and cable connectors, they come apart very easily.
It'll be very interesting to see if you still need EQ after burn in.
Looking forward to reading your ongoing
Impressions :)
EDIT: Timbre is dead on accurate for me with the ALO AUDIO copper litz cable. So yes a better cable for you will make a nice difference.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 3:24 PM Post #1,943 of 3,158

Appreciate your comments. With the stock SPC, the sound was a bit artificial for me that bothered me. I switched to the CU stock cables so hopefully that will improve. My hope is that the CL2 is an i4 iem (closed).

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,944 of 3,158
Appreciate your comments. With the stock SPC, the sound was a bit artificial for me that bothered me. I switched to the CU stock cables so hopefully that will improve. My hope is that the CL2 is an i4 iem (closed).
I also hope for the same. :)
It’s so difficult to find a companion for lcd i4.

Jan 5, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #1,945 of 3,158
FWIW the CL2 doesn't sound like a closed housed IEM to me, quite the achievement, drowning out the sound of the outside world and sounding spacious.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #1,946 of 3,158
FWIW the CL2 doesn't sound like a closed housed IEM to me, quite the achievement, drowning out the sound of the outside world and sounding spacious.
Especially with the WM1A and ZX300, the depth of soundstage is amazing.
It just blows my mind that some people are rating this iem 3, 3.5 stars.
Maybe its just a head-fi thing, because everyone that I know that has listened to these is simply blown away.
I have tried many many TOTL iems that cost a hell of a lot more than this, and they just don't compare.
And given the size, they are so tiny, and comfortable.
The CL2 have ruined so many iems for me, its not even funny.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #1,947 of 3,158
Maybe its just a head-fi thing, because everyone that I know that has listened to these is simply blown away.
I have tried many many TOTL iems that cost a hell of a lot more than this, and they just don't compare.

Because it’s important to harp on supposed problems someone mentions in earlier reviews lest one is seen as not as discerning. Once something is hung with a label it’s important to perpetuate it, or even come up with new ones. Like they don’t fix poor recordings. I particularly like that one.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,948 of 3,158

I'm like you in terms of I love the CL2, even put my AKG N5005 and trusty Etymotics up for sale as they no longer get any 'ear' time. However I do think that although I can live with the treble response, not everybody can. The Etymotic Er4 are another prime example of this. Some say they lack bass and depth but for me they are a very accurate detailed earphone that present the music the way it was probably intended to be heard. Again though some find the treble too sparkly and harsh on the Ety's.

I wouldn't let it bother you to be honest, for me I know I have a cracking set of earphones that have made me want to narrow down to one set of iem's.

On another matter, what copper cables do you suggest? Don't want to spend a fortune!!

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:31 PM Post #1,949 of 3,158
Because it’s important to harp on supposed problems someone mentions in earlier reviews lest one is seen as not as discerning. Once something is hung with a label it’s important to perpetuate it, or even come up with new ones. Like they don’t fix poor recordings. I particularly like that one.
Yeah there's a lot of monkey see, monkey do. I consider the fact that this iem plays bad recordings exactly how they are, bad, One of its biggest strengths. There are plenty of 20 dollar skullcandy earphones that play nice with compressed mp3s, doesn't make them any better.
Oh and the other guy that was complaining about mmcx connections, how they would twirl around everytime he wanted to use them. :)
I can't take any reviews on head-fi seriously after what I have seen here.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #1,950 of 3,158
I'm like you in terms of I love the CL2, even put my AKG N5005 and trusty Etymotics up for sale as they no longer get any 'ear' time. However I do think that although I can live with the treble response, not everybody can. The Etymotic Er4 are another prime example of this. Some say they lack bass and depth but for me they are a very accurate detailed earphone that present the music the way it was probably intended to be heard. Again though some find the treble too sparkly and harsh on the Ety's.

I wouldn't let it bother you to be honest, for me I know I have a cracking set of earphones that have made me want to narrow down to one set of iem's.

On another matter, what copper cables do you suggest? Don't want to spend a fortune!!
ALO Audio Pure Copper Litz. That cable is sweet, and the black jacket looks really nice with the CL2, The timbre with these cables is perfect to my ears.
I know what you are saying, but it's only natural to get annoyed.
The same people that go on and on about the sanctity of a flat response on their iems, also complain about how bad recordings are played badly.
Weird complaint for being an audio purist.
You are in for a treat with the copper cables, most true to life playback I have ever heard is here.
I will try the LCDi4 soon, and post a comparison.
I gave all my other iems to friends and family, everything sounds like a major step down after these.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back