Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #1,666 of 3,158
He has a 30 minute review on it. Watch it.

Interesting. He says the sound is basically the same as the zx300 in the comments. Watching the zx300 video now....

Also, the silver zx300A is back in stock in joybuy for 379.... Anyone ever bought through them?

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,667 of 3,158
Interesting. He says the sound is basically the same as the zx300 in the comments. Watching the zx300 video now....
That's one thing he is not right about.
I'd take @McCol 's word on that.
And plenty of people I have talked to on head-fi that have both.
20% difference is real. The people saying less are justifying not upgrading, or have drivers that can't show that much difference.
Edit: and on an ultra resolving iem like the CL2, you will hear that every last percent.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #1,668 of 3,158

Also, the silver zx300A is back in stock in joybuy for 379.... Anyone ever bought through them?
You can order both from amazon and return whichever you don't like, or both, and then order the zx300a.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:18 PM Post #1,669 of 3,158
It's kind of weird
You can order both from amazon and return whichever you don't like, or both, and then order the zx300a.
I don't like that game, it's like gambling that I'm not going to break something in 30 days..... Honestly I'm not sold yet on either Sony, I really like DSP like mseb on my hiby r6 and it doesn't have that.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #1,670 of 3,158
It's kind of weird

I don't like that game, it's like gambling that I'm not going to break something in 30 days..... Honestly I'm not sold yet on either Sony, I really like DSP like mseb on my hiby r6 and it doesn't have that.
I wonder what else is out there that would sound good with the gear you have.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #1,671 of 3,158
I wonder what else is out there that would sound good with the gear you have.
Dx200... Hiby r6 pro when it releases....

Honestly, I might just wait for the next round now. It'd be nice to stop obsessively chasing some dragons for a while. I caught one with the CL2....

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #1,672 of 3,158
Dx200... Hiby r6 pro when it releases....

Honestly, I might just wait for the next round now. It'd be nice to stop obsessively chasing some dragons for a while. I caught one with the CL2....
Wait for a better dap.
The next player I get is going to be my Moby Dick.
You know what they say, Patience young padawan :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,673 of 3,158
Wait for a better dap.
The next player I get is going to be my Moby Dick.
You know what they say, Patience young padawan :wink:
Damn skippy, even though I'm older than you.... I guess I got into the mindset the hiby R6 is crap.

It's not. This has reminded me it's actually a very good DAP. Most likely what I'm hearing is very comparable to the zx300.

Just a bad experience with the IGG campaign and how Hiby responded to adversity had sort of tainted my view of it.

Shanling apparently makes a great entry level player, but they need to up their game for the mid-high end market.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #1,674 of 3,158
It's kind of weird

More than that, Amazon has a history of banning people for life who have excessive returns. It's okay to do once in awhile, just don't use this as a general shopping technique.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/22/amazon-bans-people-for-returning-too-much-but-it-shouldnt.html

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:26 PM Post #1,675 of 3,158
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:31 AM Post #1,676 of 3,158
@McCol

Original version sounds great. Zero harshness. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

Remastered sounds ringy, screetchy, and compressed.
This is the perfect example of why some tracks sound harsh on the CL2. The Loudness Disease for modern mp3 listeners.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 2:12 AM Post #1,677 of 3,158
@Kitechaser
I’ll have a listen to those later, I did think it was the remastering that was probably causing part of the issue. I think that due to the reasonably upfront presentation of the CL2 (not a bad thing) and the more upfront remastering of Bowie’s recent compilations (Five years boxset 2015), this creates this harshness to the sound. I’ve got the individual CD’s of these albums from years ago, will rip them to flac and try them out.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:17 AM Post #1,678 of 3,158
@McCol

Original version sounds great. Zero harshness. Smooth as a baby's bottom.

Remastered sounds ringy, screetchy, and compressed.
This is the perfect example of why some tracks sound harsh on the CL2. The Loudness Disease for modern mp3 listeners.

Interesting! Was the audio on these two videos at the same bitrate though?
That seems like a factor which ought to be taken into consideration (although I'm sure you have done so, or at least listened to them both from CD or FLAC at home)

I just had a brief listen from my MacBook directly (internal speakers). The first version seems to be more natural sounding and with a greater dynamic range.
Rather ironic really.
But I haven't listened extensively or in great detail, so can't say for sure!

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #1,679 of 3,158
Interesting! Was the audio on these two videos at the same bitrate though?
That seems like a factor which ought to be taken into consideration (although I'm sure you have done so, or at least listened to them both from CD or FLAC at home)

I just had a brief listen from my MacBook directly (internal speakers). The first version seems to be more natural sounding and with a greater dynamic range.
Rather ironic really.
But I haven't listened extensively or in great detail, so can't say for sure!
I listened to them both on flacs I downloaded. The remastered version is pushed forward, and everything is crowded up into the mids.
You can hear it very easily on the parts of the song where the vocals are supposed to be echoing through the microphone.
On the original version, the volume of the echo is natural, and less, and organically fades away. On the remastered the echo is of the same volume as the main vocals, and is harsh to the ears. Snares and drums also have a sharp attack to them, that bother my ears, but are a total joy to listen to on the original version.
Classic victim of the remaster curse, destroys all dynamics on the track, and artificially boosts volume.
These poorly mastered tracks are exposed on the CL2, the harshness is not the iem, it is the files people are feeding them.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #1,680 of 3,158
@Hawaiibadboy thanks for the video.
Comparison of TOTL Daps out.

He addressed some of the things we were talking about yesterday.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back