Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #1,636 of 3,158
Just tried -3db at 4k for the last hour.
Don't know how to explain it, but just sounds like someone sucked the juice out of the drums and string instruments.
Granted my ears are used to the normal tuning, I can see how people might be okay with this FR if they didn't know anything better, but once accustomed to the mid range bump, its tough to go back.
Edit: -2db is not bad, a better compromise.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #1,637 of 3,158
@Kitechaser results of EQ depend a lot on what you EQ on ... I did it with a parametric equalizer on the Lotoos, which have a dedicated chip just for EQ, and are REALLY good at it. With the usual graphic equalizer, I honestly usually have very bad luck with results (or I just plain suck at using them :) )

Plus, csglinux said he equalized at 2khz, I did it at 3khz (since from his graph, that's the freq which I saw as central to the bump - plus, still from his graph, it looks like 2k and 4k are more boosted, at least on the RHA official graph, while 3k is a bit less so - so EQuing at 3khz -3db, with a q of 0.7, will translate to less on 2k and 4k), while 4khz, which is what you did, is towards the edge of the boosted range... but one of the problems of the graphic equalizers, of course, is that the DAP decides where's the band, so if that's the closest one you have, there's not much choice, I guess

Have not actually listened for a lot with the EQ on, but I saved it, and I really thought that I liked the results - sounded a bit more natural, but still with a lot of clarity (and I can always diminish the effect a bit)... will spend more time with it on and off, and see how things go.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:43 AM Post #1,641 of 3,158
Please post the link where it was said that what you're hearing isn't right for you. If it was my post, I'll happily correct it for you.
The post re people needing to understand how to EQ...

Some people might like salad dressing, doesn’t mean it is a mandatory requirement to enjoy eating salad.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:13 AM Post #1,643 of 3,158
I’m just so glad I got mine before any of these “reviews”. They’re purely wonderful and obviously if I’d read these I would have never bought them.
Same here. Will never trust another review on here after this fiasco.
Just makes me wonder how many other deserving iems got buried by graphs, and reviewer prejudice.
Quite a few I am guessing.

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,644 of 3,158
Same here. Will never trust another review on here after this fiasco.
Just makes me wonder how many other deserving iems got buried by graphs, and reviewer prejudice.
Quite a few I am guessing.

I think reviewer prejudice is far rarer on here than reviewer bias, but after reading through this thread recently, definitely agree that there are some diametrically opposed views that seem to be forming.

All reviews are essentially just opinions, whether they are backed up by "fact" in the form of graphs and measurements or not. Even if every reviewer posted frequency sweeps, unless they were all done on a professional-grade rig and all calibrated to an agreed standard or compensation curve (of which there are a few), the results would still just be relative to that reviewer and their gear anyway.

Take into account the different ear canal shape of each listener (which affects sound and resonant peaks) and the differing variances that individual fit and seal / tip choice make to the sonic waveform before it even gets into your ear canal, and you really are back to subjective science / opinion rather than empirical fact.

I haven't heard the CL2 yet, and I know from my time with the CL1 (tour) and T20 (own) that RHA do like some sharpness up top. That knowledge is balanced out by reading some opinions from people I trust on here like @davidmolliere as to how the CL2 actually sound in the ear, which has left me with the desire to hear these for myself at some point (most likely a Canjam) to see if this is an IEM that "works" for me.

And when I say "trust", it's not that I know David or think he's particularly honest or unbiased (which I'm sure he is), it's Thad having read his thoughts on things line the Solaris and other IEMs in other threads, I know that he "hears" things in a singular manner to myself, so even though our preferences aren't identical, I can get a good enough idea of what the IEMs are moment to sound like to make an educated guess if they'll be something I like or not.

I think that's the only way you can really use reviews/reviewers on here - find a few who have reviewed items to have heard or know well, see which ones line up with how you hear the item in question and use them as a good baseline for future IEMs when you are doing your research.

Personally, I have 4 or 5 reviewers I always read, as I know their views are close enough to my own to help narrow down whether something will be worth listening to.

And if someone is shooting an IEM down because it doesn't sound good to them, that's cool too. If they are shooting it down because they think it's subjectively flawed, rather than judging it on how it sounds in the ear and acknowledging that it can be massively different from person to person, just find another reviewer to follow! :wink:

Just my 0.02c - no skin in this particular game, but if I do ever manage to get hold of a CL2 via trade or loan, will be happy to add my opinions to the board (just so people can utilise or discard a appropriate)! :wink:

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:54 AM Post #1,645 of 3,158
Knowing that somebody hears things similarly to yourself is certainly one of the most useful pieces of info to have, in order to appreciate and weigh reviews/opinions.

Another thing I often find useful is comparisons: even if somebody hears things differently from me, if he says that A is brighter than B, if I know how B sounds I can form some reasonable expectations, from there.

Dec 4, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #1,646 of 3,158
David loved this iem as much as any of us till he had his audio meetup in Paris, where other people were less than impressed with the CL2.
The first bad review came out and he lowered his own score, and sold the CL2.
His complaint was that his set was thin on the bass response.
Well bass doesn't really open up till about 350 hours.
There is a huge bandwagon effect in this hobby. People get influenced and talked in and out of a lot of things.
Certain brands are hyped out of proportions and others are buried.
At this point I just trust my own ears, and certain other non reviewers that share my love of music, and stay out of the politics that is very active on head-fi.
Love David, and definitely not throwing him under the bus, he is good people.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #1,647 of 3,158
@Kitechaser Not really what happened about editing my score, I am not one to be influenced that easily, give me a bit of credit there I am not one to jump the bandwagon...

But thanks for the vote of confidence that I am good people :)
Don't hesitate to mention me by username :wink:

I edited my note as I realized that the upper medium was really more of an issue for most than it was for me, and also I had more listening time with different sources by then. And I acquired the Solaris and it didn't make sense that the CL2 had 4.5 with the Solaris at 5 since I honestly believe there is more of a gap. Aside from technicality and SQ, the versatility is a factor in notes... So there is that too...

It doesn't mean I don't love the CL2 but rather that I decided not to keep it as the Solaris was not a planned expense and I overstretched my budget more than a bit if you want to know everything. There was no link between lowering my note and selling when I did I hadn't decided to sell yet. The link is spending 1600€ for the Solaris and needing the 650€ to finance it :p And if you want to know everything I kind of think, like the IE800 that I purchased twice (that 6-7KHz peak being the reason I sold) that I might just re-purchase the CL2 at a later time :wink: The CL2 has unique qualities. But also its faults... Not every IEM will get 5 stars. And you might rate it 5 stars it's all very relative and subjective. Beware of quick judgments :p

Last but not least, read my review again, my complaint was NOT about bass response being too lite (I posted a lot of example in this thread of tracks where sub bass were out of this world good)... but the upper medium walking a fine line and getting into harsh territory which is the main issue for me. @Jackpot77 by the way I had a listen to the CL1 on loan, I couldn't go past 10 minutes so the CL2 is definitely in another league and way better tuned altogether you should get a listen.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 8:05 AM Post #1,648 of 3,158
For me the CL2 are still quite possibly the best or very close to the best earphone I've owned. I've owned a few that are double the price but can't touch what the CL2 do for me. However there is a 'but' to all this. When I listen to my N5005 for a while I realise that there are certain tracks that the CL2 struggle with (to my ears). Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album is a case in point. Certain tracks such as Soul Love and Rock n Roll Suicide have a harshness in the vocals and snare drums that just shouldn't be there.
It's not enough to put me off the CL2 as for 95% of my music they are simply stunning but there is a small percentage that they do seem to struggle with. The N5005 on the same tracks present a smoothness that the CL2 can't compete with.

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #1,649 of 3,158
For me the CL2 are still quite possibly the best or very close to the best earphone I've owned. I've owned a few that are double the price but can't touch what the CL2 do for me. However there is a 'but' to all this. When I listen to my N5005 for a while I realise that there are certain tracks that the CL2 struggle with (to my ears). Bowie's Ziggy Stardust album is a case in point. Certain tracks such as Soul Love and Rock n Roll Suicide have a harshness in the vocals and snare drums that just shouldn't be there.
It's not enough to put me off the CL2 as for 95% of my music they are simply stunning but there is a small percentage that they do seem to struggle with. The N5005 on the same tracks present a smoothness that the CL2 can't compete with.
I am in the same boat as you. There are tracks where things can sound a bit harsh, but the solution is a quick few taps on your DAP to eq the mids a few bumps down. On everything else, oh my GOD, a completely brand new way to hear your music.
It is addictive beyond anything else.
My friend yesterday listened to an acoustic guitar track I posted earlier on the thread, and his jaw just hit the floor.
He couldn't believe what he was hearing, he was so impressed, that he is now ordering a CL2.

This iem is a work of art. Plain and simple.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #1,650 of 3,158
@Kitechaser Not really what happened about editing my score, I am not one to be influenced that easily, give me a bit of credit there I am not one to jump the bandwagon...

But thanks for the vote of confidence that I am good people :)
Don't hesitate to mention me by username :wink:

I edited my note as I realized that the upper medium was really more of an issue for most than it was for me, and also I had more listening time with different sources by then. And I acquired the Solaris and it didn't make sense that the CL2 had 4.5 with the Solaris at 5 since I honestly believe there is more of a gap. Aside from technicality and SQ, the versatility is a factor in notes... So there is that too...

It doesn't mean I don't love the CL2 but rather that I decided not to keep it as the Solaris was not a planned expense and I overstretched my budget more than a bit if you want to know everything. There was no link between lowering my note and selling when I did I hadn't decided to sell yet. The link is spending 1600€ for the Solaris and needing the 650€ to finance it :p And if you want to know everything I kind of think, like the IE800 that I purchased twice (that 6-7KHz peak being the reason I sold) that I might just re-purchase the CL2 at a later time :wink: The CL2 has unique qualities. But also its faults... Not every IEM will get 5 stars. And you might rate it 5 stars it's all very relative and subjective. Beware of quick judgments :p

Last but not least, read my review again, my complaint was NOT about bass response being too lite (I posted a lot of example in this thread of tracks where sub bass were out of this world good)... but the upper medium walking a fine line and getting into harsh territory which is the main issue for me. @Jackpot77 by the way I had a listen to the CL1 on loan, I couldn't go past 10 minutes so the CL2 is definitely in another league and way better tuned altogether you should get a listen.
The tuning is such a small part of this package. No one is talking about all the things that this closed 10mm planar does that are simply ground breaking.
So it is harsh in the mids on some weirdly mastered tracks, but Jesus Christ, what it does everywhere else, is so ridiculous to the point of almost disbelief.
I feel none of the reviewers outside of yourself and @AManAnd88Keys have even touched on that broad and extensive subject.
And if this iem is not a 5, especially when compared to all the other lesser iems ( which happen to be way more expensive) that get perfect ratings on here, something is seriously wrong with the review process.
The last several reviews I have read are stuck on tuning. If I was to only read them, I would walk away thinking that was all there is to the CL2.
Especially when the reviewers make it seem like liking the tuning is akin to liking "anchovies on ice cream" and no one in their right mind can ever do that.
Mind you, not anchovies on pizza (which is a matter of taste and preference), but "ice cream".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back