Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Nov 3, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #931 of 3,158
The fact that the CL2 is mentioned in the same circles as the RE2000 silver (or gold in my case) is testament to the VFM that the CL2 offers...

Personally the CL2 is tuned more to my style of listening, but the RE2000 is less fussy of source - FWIW, the CL2 really opened up with the Sony WM1A - prior to that I was listening with a FiiO Q5, which was more fun sounding, but didn’t have the same resolution / depth as the 1A

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #932 of 3,158
The fact that the CL2 is mentioned in the same circles as the RE2000 silver (or gold in my case) is testament to the VFM that the CL2 offers...

Personally the CL2 is tuned more to my style of listening, but the RE2000 is less fussy of source - FWIW, the CL2 really opened up with the Sony WM1A - prior to that I was listening with a FiiO Q5, which was more fun sounding, but didn’t have the same resolution / depth as the 1A
+1 on the synergy with Sony Daps. The Zx300 balanced out complements the CL2 very well.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #933 of 3,158
Last question which one do you prefer if you had a choice between the two, I know its a tough question, did you also change the cables for either iem and what sources were you using to listen to them, because if I buy either I will want to upgrade my whole set up if cables or source make a huge difference , my current set I use the dragonfly red and I have fiio dac my friend has it at the moment , thank-you so much napilopez for answering

Definitely the CL2. Again, I think in terms of sound they're on the same plane, but the sheer convenience of the CL2 makes it win out. The RE2000 were never isolating enough for me until I got the Symbios, and are much more finicky about fit. Well, maybe with the triple flanges, but I couldn't wear those for more than a couple of hours.

I didn't change cables because I personally don't believe cables affect sound - no offense to anyone else. Just not my jam. But I will try switching with some of the other MMCX cables I have lying around just for fun at some point.

I do think the CL2 do well with a warmer source. They sound best out of my iFi Micro BL.

Nov 3, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #934 of 3,158
That sounds very interesting between the re2000 and cl2. It reminds me of how a couple of chifi IEMs compare, the tfz king pro and brainwavz b400. in another year I'll have a bigger rolling fund so I can keep more TOTL pairs at the same time, but I really wish I'd held on to my andromeda before getting these to compare. I'll just have to go off memory. Mainly I'll compare to my isine20 and it04 I guess.

One thing I've noticed ITT is that it seems like people who are buying this"run in different circles" than I do, kinds of like how Harley riders and Japanese motorcycle riders don't really mix even though it's the same hobby. I guess I didn't realize there was such distinct circles in the IEM world. Kitechaser seems to toe the line between worlds, but most of the models being talked about aren't ones that were even on my radar... But the CL2 in general, given the price versus performance seems to be bridging that gap.

Nov 3, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #935 of 3,158
Thank you for this!! I just downloaded her high-res discography. She has a beautiful haunting voice.
I can now see why she had the effect she had on you. :)
Much appreciated.
I just had a bit of an emotional moment on a train (much potential embarrassment), I think Hannah Reid from London Grammar has one of the most unique and distinct voices out there, got choked up listening to their albums... her voice sounds absolutely phenomenal on the CL2s!

For those not in the know give this (live) and this (studio) a listen...

For a top to bottom work out of the CL2, this is pretty much there - Really love this band!

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #936 of 3,158
That sounds very interesting between the re2000 and cl2. It reminds me of how a couple of chifi IEMs compare, the tfz king pro and brainwavz b400. in another year I'll have a bigger rolling fund so I can keep more TOTL pairs at the same time, but I really wish I'd held on to my andromeda before getting these to compare. I'll just have to go off memory. Mainly I'll compare to my isine20 and it04 I guess.

One thing I've noticed ITT is that it seems like people who are buying this"run in different circles" than I do, kinds of like how Harley riders and Japanese motorcycle riders don't really mix even though it's the same hobby. I guess I didn't realize there was such distinct circles in the IEM world. Kitechaser seems to toe the line between worlds, but most of the models being talked about aren't ones that were even on my radar... But the CL2 in general, given the price versus performance seems to be bridging that gap.
Get a nice OCC copper cable, and burn in with sweeps and noise.
I hope you have as much fun with the CL2 as I am having :)
Might wanna look into a sony NW-ZX300. @Hawaiibadboy Knows his stuff.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #937 of 3,158
Just thought I would share... I did some further tip rolling and the UE900 tips are changing the game for me... as they did for the Solaris. Those are designed for deep insertion so I can use a size smaller and still get perfect seal...the bass is just taken to another level entirely! This has a great impact on the overall signature, up to the point where I will need to rewrite parts of my review.

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #938 of 3,158
I had a listen to these in Tokyo. They were quite harsh and unpleasant -- I was actually surprised. Some drum distortion made me wonder if they don't have phase issues too. Maybe they were demoing a pair fresh out of the box?

Nov 4, 2018 at 6:32 AM Post #939 of 3,158
I had a listen to these in Tokyo. They were quite harsh and unpleasant -- I was actually surprised. Some drum distortion made me wonder if they don't have phase issues too. Maybe they were demoing a pair fresh out of the box?

That very likely, because aside from those upper mids that can be problematic with some recordings nothing harsh about them and distorsion is the absolute last thing I would mention in the CL2's weakness quite the contrary the bass has zero distorsion to my ears.

Which tips did you run them with?
Did you have deep insertion?
Was that a wide stem tip (as wide as bore)?

I quickly discounted the default dual density tips, too narrow and affect sound in a bad way...

Nov 4, 2018 at 8:51 AM Post #940 of 3,158
@RHA Team really has to stop demoing fresh CL2s out of the box :)
These should have a few 100 hours of proper burn in, and a TOTL Dap attached at all times.
But yeah, like Davidmolliere said, these are anything but harsh, and distortion would be the very last word I would use to describe its sound signature.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:01 AM Post #941 of 3,158
Demo'd this one at E-Earphones a week or so ago. Was quite curious about this since several users here were hyping it up and saying that these were transparent and extremely revealing, to the levels of EX1000 where it absolutely punishes bad recordings...didn't go in too excited due to the track record of the CL1. CL1 was very much trebly to the point that I was hearing nothing but treble.

The RHA CL2 was pretty trebly too. More warmth and slightly less treble than the CL1. The timbre sounded like a 60s radio to me. Not as harsh as the CL1, but I wouldn't listen to them even if they were given to me free of charge.

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:02 AM Post #942 of 3,158
Its probably a bit too early to start talking about cheap poor sounding copies but for a more exclusive IEM like the CL2 it may well be an issue over the next few months.

Make sure you always purchase from a reputable dealer.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #944 of 3,158
Demo'd this one at E-Earphones a week or so ago. Was quite curious about this since several users here were hyping it up and saying that these were transparent and extremely revealing, to the levels of EX1000 where it absolutely punishes bad recordings...didn't go in too excited due to the track record of the CL1. CL1 was very much trebly to the point that I was hearing nothing but treble.

The RHA CL2 was pretty trebly too. More warmth and slightly less treble than the CL1. The timbre sounded like a 60s radio to me. Not as harsh as the CL1, but I wouldn't listen to them even if they were given to me free of charge.
I have 2 words for you......Tip Rolling.
These are very tip dependent. It took me over 2 weeks to find the tips that worked for me. I finally settled on spiral dots, and the sound signature is nothing like the CL1. Seal is extremely important with this iem, and deep insertion is a prerequisite. .
I doubt you would have the time to properly sort out all the tips provided, and after market ones, in a show or demo setting.
Edit: without proper burn in, and the right tips, the sound is what you are describing it to be.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #945 of 3,158
I have 2 words for you......Tip Rolling.
These are very tip dependent. It took me over 2 weeks to find the tips that worked for me. I finally settled on spiral dots, and the sound signature is nothing like the CL1. Seal is extremely important with this iem, and deep insertion is a prerequisite. .
I doubt you would have the time to properly sort out all the tips provided, and after market ones, in a show or demo setting.
Edit: without proper burn in, and the right tips, the sound is what you are describing it to be.

Rest assured...I have an array of tips at my disposal :p

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio

Users who are viewing this thread

Back