Introducing CL2 Planar (Impressions Thread)
Oct 23, 2018 at 2:15 AM Post #781 of 3,158
Absolutely let me know what you think.
I am going to use the cable with the DM6 and switch after further use, to see if it makes any difference.
I will:) It may be it will change a bit after burn in.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #782 of 3,158
Anyone heard IE800S and CL2? I need to figure out how smooth the treble is, for me the IE800S treble is absolute perfection but I had other problems with it. Is CL2 sharper or just as silky? It makes the difference between listening for 10minutes and 10 hours.

Yeah I have owned IE800S for almost a year.

The CL2 treble are not fatiguing, the tuning is for air, you get more detailed upper trebles than the IE800S but the lower treble are tuned with a dip in the 6-8Khz region that makes it neither fatiguing nor hot but also a tad less sparkle than the IE800S.

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:39 AM Post #784 of 3,158
Yeah I have owned IE800S for almost a year.

The CL2 treble are not fatiguing, the tuning is for air, you get more detailed upper trebles than the IE800S but the lower treble are tuned with a dip in the 6-8Khz region that makes it neither fatiguing nor hot but also a tad less sparkle than the IE800S.
This is a great observation David
higher upper trebles is really good very extended

Oct 23, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #785 of 3,158
Dear RHA Team
seems Sony daps are more suitable with Cl2, then why not offering balanced 4.4 cable instead of Bluetooth or at least an adaptator.:beerchug::blush:
Thank you

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #786 of 3,158
New cable arrived this morning, had a wee chance whilst writing an essay to listen uninterrupted.

I went for the **** 16 core SPC cable from Amazon, chose a the 4.4mm connection for use with my ZX300.

First thing I noticed as others have pointed out is the difference in weight!! The stock cable is a bit heavy due to the memory sleeves on the cable. This cable is very light and means I can barely feel the earphones in my ears.

Soundwise - I can tell a very slight difference, the little bit of peakiness in the upper-mids/treble doesn't seem to be as present as it was before, listening to Soul Love by Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust album is where I can really tell the difference. It's got a snare beat that is quite sharp, I've had earphones over the years that make it sound too harsh. The CL2 with stock cable was verging on this but still ok to my ears, with the new cable, the sharpness is still present but just slightly reduced making it more palatable.

I must point out though that the sharpness of the stock cable sound was never an issue for me, just aware that some might be put off it by it.

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:33 AM Post #787 of 3,158
I must point out though that the sharpness of the stock cable sound was never an issue for me, just aware that some might be put off it by it.

Main gripe I have with the stock cable is the off timbre in the treble, metallic sounding...

Oct 23, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #789 of 3,158
Main gripe I have with the stock cable is the off timbre in the treble, metallic sounding...

You describe it better than me, that's exactly what I meant, metallic sound from the highs. It's gone now with the **** but at no loss to detail etc.

Oct 23, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #790 of 3,158
You describe it better than me, that's exactly what I meant, metallic sound from the highs. It's gone now with the **** but at no loss to detail etc.
I didnt have that issue since I never used the stock cable. Glad they worked out for you. **** makes some good cables, I'll be looking into getting their pure silver cable at some point.

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #792 of 3,158
New cable arrived this morning, had a wee chance whilst writing an essay to listen uninterrupted.

I went for the **** 16 core SPC cable from Amazon, chose a the 4.4mm connection for use with my ZX300.

First thing I noticed as others have pointed out is the difference in weight!! The stock cable is a bit heavy due to the memory sleeves on the cable. This cable is very light and means I can barely feel the earphones in my ears.

Soundwise - I can tell a very slight difference, the little bit of peakiness in the upper-mids/treble doesn't seem to be as present as it was before, listening to Soul Love by Bowie on the Ziggy Stardust album is where I can really tell the difference. It's got a snare beat that is quite sharp, I've had earphones over the years that make it sound too harsh. The CL2 with stock cable was verging on this but still ok to my ears, with the new cable, the sharpness is still present but just slightly reduced making it more palatable.

Glad it seems to have worked out for you :)

Give it a couple of days then go back to stock... seemed to me that the differences were more apparent then, however as I’ve previously said, it isn’t so much that I’m a cable believer, more that the rigidity of the earhooks seems to skew the fit (for me)

Oct 23, 2018 at 2:46 PM Post #793 of 3,158
My CL2 arrived today and so far, it appears to me that the positive impressions of those who have posted in this thread are well-deserved! So far, they sound as I had hoped they would, although not being a "bright-head", I feared that the highs would be too much. Thankfully I hear no sibilance or overdone treble.

I haven't even tried the stock cables, as I don't care for earhooks. I am using a **** copper and Linum SuperBax. So far, the Bax seems like it might end up being my go-to choice between the two.

I am also very pleased with the quality of the Bluetooth sound. A very welcome addition to the packaging.

I do want to give a big tip of the hat to Colin who provided me with very useful info regarding the specifics of the CL2. As we both have owned some of the same phones and our preferences seem to be similar, it was the tipping point in opening my wallet and once again going back to eating Ramen noodles!!

Oct 23, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #794 of 3,158
The CL2 has effectively destroyed lesser earphones for me. The bar has been set, and it is pretty damn high.
To match this sound, or to go past it, I shudder to think how much money I will have to spend. ( Sony IER-Z1R)
Tried the DM6, going right back into the box. No thank you.
This pair of CL2 is gonna stay with me as long as it lasts, and if it gives out, I'll get a replacement.
This is that good.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #795 of 3,158
The CL2 has effectively destroyed lesser earphones for me. The bar has been set, and it is pretty damn high.
To match this sound, or to go past it, I shudder to think how much money I will have to spend. ( Sony IER-Z1R)
Tried the DM6, going right back into box. No thank you.
This pair of CL2 is gonna stay with me as long as it lasts, and if it gives out, I'll get a replacement.
This is that good.

I would have viewed your post with some skepticism prior to hearing them, now I just nod my head yes and smile!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back