Introducing Audio-Technica's ATH-W1000X
Feb 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #91 of 292
Received my pair yesterday... Hard to compare to anything. All I´ll say now is that I absolutely love them! Powering them with X-Can V8P, hard to say much of it either... xD

Feb 21, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #93 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Received my pair yesterday... Hard to compare to anything. All I´ll say now is that I absolutely love them! Powering them with X-Can V8P, hard to say much of it either... xD

"Genres || J-Ska, Third Wave Ska-Punk, Punk Rock, Pop-Punk, Groove Metal, Thrash Metal"

They sound great with those genres? Thats the only thing I was afraid of.. people said they might not be good for rock... let alone hard rock/metal... Great news. I have been much more into alternative lately, but those early mornings are easily cured with some in your face melodies.

If you listen to any specifically technical metal like Meshuggah or Protest the Hero (not really metal) could you comment please? "Straws Pulled at Random" is an IMMENSE rhythm that little does justice.

Man I have these on the way and I already want to upgrade my amp from my LD MKV...

Best way to go about enjoying them, I suppose, is to post some early impressions for people to drool over, then not visiting head-fi for a good while and posting a detailed review... by that time there will undoubtedly be something else to lust after
biggrin.gif

It is lucky I am not like this with women otherwise I would be completely miserable :p.

Haha and what a comment by Kees.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #94 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by sokolov91 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Genres || J-Ska, Third Wave Ska-Punk, Punk Rock, Pop-Punk, Groove Metal, Thrash Metal"

They sound great with those genres? Thats the only thing I was afraid of.. people said they might not be good for rock... let alone hard rock/metal... Great news. I have been much more into alternative lately, but those early mornings are easily cured with some in your face melodies.

If you listen to any specifically technical metal like Meshuggah or Protest the Hero (not really metal) could you comment please? "Straws Pulled at Random" is an IMMENSE rhythm that little does justice.

Didn´t notice this post earlier... Been too busy listening! xD Well, for ska, with lots of nice, warm bass melodies, I really enjoy them. Everything seems great, mids and highs too. I don´t see a problem with rock either. For metal, they could have somewhat darker and heavier tone. Not saying they´re overly bright though. And well, who knows what is coming when these are burned-in more.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #98 of 292
So my impressions from what I have read is that compared to w1000 it has more extended highs, more bass, less harsh and a generally more full sound!

Can people who heard both confirm this?

And is there anybody who prefer the old w1000 or is upgrading a no-brainer?

In my very smooth setup I no longer find the w1000 harsh, but I would love a fuller sound and a little more bass. Another thing is that female voices often is dominated by ex. guitar in pop and rock music.

Actually the d5000 sound a lot more sibiliant in my setup, but the voices are much clearer and I have no problem hearing the lyrics like I have on w1000.

I probably should go for d7000 or dx1000 but I just love the ath headband that dissapears on my head the longer I listen, compared to the denon that grows more and more annoying!

Mar 11, 2010 at 11:25 AM Post #99 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In my very smooth setup I no longer find the w1000 harsh, but I would love a fuller sound and a little more bass. Another thing is that female voices often is dominated by ex. guitar in pop and rock music.

I did this to my A1000X and the change is exactly what you are asking for. Very simple mod. http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/eas...-added-461083/

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:14 PM Post #100 of 292
Hmm, personally I wouldn´t ask for more bass. It sure is there when needed, and I like rather strong bass I suppose... Sure this varies with amps and records listened to.

Mar 11, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #101 of 292
TheOtus - When I asked for a more full sound and more bass, I was talking about the old w1000. Sounds like it is exactly what you get with the new w1000x!

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:16 PM Post #102 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TheOtus - When I asked for a more full sound and more bass, I was talking about the old w1000. Sounds like it is exactly what you get with the new w1000x!

Yeah, I see. But sunneebear did the mod to W1000X, as I understand, so...

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:38 PM Post #104 of 292
Quote:

Originally Posted by K3cT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W1000X already sounds as good as it gets. Why risk modding it?

x2

xD

Mar 12, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #105 of 292
My mod was on the A1000X not the W. Whats the harm in trying, it is the most simple mod I know. You just remove the screws, add four washers and reassemble. You don't add or remove anything to any other part of the headphone like the cups, drivers or ports. Don't like the sound, take the washers out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back