Intime SORA: Giant killer IEMs from Japan?
Jun 12, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 1,037
I have the Sora. Yes it is dirt cheap and yes it sounds rather phenomenal, sharing my eartime with the almighty 64 U18 and my long-serving MH335DWSR lately. Very balanced and coherent with outrageous highs extension that's also smooth without too many peaks, kinda polite in the bass with average extension down low. Resolution in the level of mid-tier iems.

Giant killer is a term I don't like, and price is not a standard I'd like to use to judge things. I think no one would be disappointed with its SQ regardless of price. Taking in consideration also the techniques employed and the price of products with similar designs (but of lower performance level) as well as its pure Japanese heritage (only assembly is done in China) it would be a steal even at 5 to 6 times its price.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2017 at 12:03 AM Post #4 of 1,037
I have the Sora. Yes it is dirt cheap and yes it sounds rather phenomenal, sharing my eartime with the almighty 64 U18 and my long-serving MH335DWSR lately. Very balanced and coherent with outrageous highs extension that's also smooth without too many peaks, kinda polite in the bass with average extension down low. Resolution in the level of mid-tier iems.

Giant killer is a term I don't like, and price is not a standard I'd like to use to judge things. I think no one would be disappointed with its SQ regardless of price. Taking in consideration also the techniques employed and the price of products with similar designs (but of lower performance level) as well as its pure Japanese heritage (only assembly is done in China) it would be a steal even at 5 to 6 times its price.

For those who are not familiar with the Sora and can't read its Japanese page, the Sora is a iem with a coaxial driver consisted of a donut shaped ceramic/nickel piezoelectrical tweeter, held in place by the patented so-called VST arrangement, and a dynamic woofer behind. The shell is made completely of brass and the cable is a 4-core OFC one.

Jun 13, 2017 at 11:52 PM Post #6 of 1,037
How come there are almost no reviews of it online?

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #7 of 1,037
How come there are almost no reviews of it online?

Probably cos it has no sale channel outside Japan, not even parallel import as of now..........but seems they are avilable on amazon.

There are loads of reviews in Japanese though.

Jun 14, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #8 of 1,037
They even got a story behind the Sora.............it's their company head's challenge upon himself to design a cheap yet great sounding iems that even students like his 3 sons who are going to college can afford by stretcing their budgets just a little. :beerchug:

Jun 14, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #9 of 1,037
Piezoelectrical tweeters have been on my radar recently, and ordered the Elecom EHP CB1000. Can't wait to try it out. Impressed with Elecom's tuning (own the R/HH1000A and BA100 models from Elecom).

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #10 of 1,037

And that's coming from someone who owns the $3,000 U18 Tzar!? :O

When you say the Sora's resolution is "in the level of mid-tier IEMs", what's mid-tier for you?

Thanks

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #11 of 1,037
And that's coming from someone who owns the $3,000 U18 Tzar!? :O

When you say the Sora's resolution is "in the level of mid-tier IEMs", what's mid-tier for you?

Thanks

Had the 846, SEM6, Lyra and Jupiter, 7550, K3003 in mind, It's completely subjective though and YMMV. The resolution is far from being top-notch, but is above average and the "perceived" resolution is very good as apparently the piezo tweeter is doing a good job in the presence range.

Jun 14, 2017 at 2:55 AM Post #12 of 1,037
for 4k + yen they are substantially cheaper on amazon.jp as compared to amazon.com.. reviews on amazon.jp were talking abt built quality and durability though but all praise the sound quality.. interesting..

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:09 AM Post #13 of 1,037
for 4k + yen they are substantially cheaper on amazon.jp as compared to amazon.com.. reviews on amazon.jp were talking abt built quality and durability though but all praise the sound quality.. interesting..

Can't comment on durability as it is too new at the moment, but the built quality appears nice but not bullet proof. The brass shell is very well machined and is quite heavy, and the cable although thin appears durable and does not tangle at all. Did heard there were uncommon but occasional cases of imbalance though, so be sure to buy from a reputable seller.

Street price in Japan should be below $50 and of cos sellers would charge for a hefty premium for these Japan exclusive products.

Jun 15, 2017 at 12:29 AM Post #15 of 1,037
Has anyone compared the Intime Sora to the Magaosi K3 Pro or the new K3 HD?

Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back